Author Topic: CZ 75 Pre B Restoration... Sorta  (Read 6304 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

CZ 75 Pre B Restoration... Sorta
« on: December 31, 2017, 12:42:48 AM »
WELCOME HOME:

A few months back a few Pre B's showed up that were manufactured in 1987. That being a significant year to me, I wanted one. I luckily got one and have since slowly set to work on it.

Life happened and my smithing budget tightened, so I didn't get to order all my parts for a while. In the mean time here's how it looked when I got it.

It was filthy inside! The story from the importer was this came with a batch that was from Israeli Private Security Forces. It seemed to function so I took it to the range.

The first few shots were at 7 yards just to see what was going on. The remaining were at 15 yards. The double action was smooth but really heavy. The single action was terrible. It was heavy and had tons of camming, along with lots of sear cage movement that made it even longer and more mushy! But, it was accurate enough and functioned 100%.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Re: CZ 75 Pre B Restoration... Sorta
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 01:11:14 AM »
GETTING TO WORK:

I started to break it down to clean it and start the project.

I soaked the barrel is acetone and then scrubbed it with a wire brush. When it came out it looked like there were pieces of filthy paper towel stuck to the bristles... But I didn't use a paper towel! I suddenly realized this poor thing had gone far longer than Joe L has probably ever pushed his pistols! I'd never seen or heard is such filth coming out of a barrel. I also gained an immense appreciation that it ran and was "accurate" when I shot it. I wish it was light outside and I would of had time to take a picture.

When the slide soaked in acetone for a while a lot of the finish came off one side. Along with immense amounts of very fine dirt and crap.

When I broke down the frame I ran into the toughness of the metal CZ used and the tight fit they employed on their pins. The trigger retaining pin bent my nice Grace punch. Look closely and you'll see the punch bent off to the right inside the frame. This was the first of 3 punches this pistol would destroy!

Around this time I figured I would try and use this solid trigger retaining pin to make a DIY floating trigger pin. It took way more work than it was worth because of how hard the metal is, but I got it to function.

I very carefully shortened the hammer hooks (using an old post by David as my guide). I smoothed their faces. I set to work polishing all the contact points.

I "pinned the sear cage". That was poopy on this Pre B. The sear cage has a different angle on the face that contacts the pin and it took me 3 pins to get it right. Even then there is still play for single action. As in the safety can be clearly seen moving rearwards during single action pull. It would have to work for now, I'll get tools to drill and tap it sometime in my future...

Then I set to work on the beavertail and the trigger guard undercut. I wasn't great at taking pictures for that part, even though it would have been interesting.

I then went to open up the mag well to accept modern Mags. This part sucked the absolute most! I followed the great instructions of others on this forum and the mags just were not going in right. I realized there was extra material on the front inside of the magwell. This is an example of tolerance stacking, where mine was acceptable but on the tight end. Oh boy was it not fun working the metal to open this up. I went slow to be very very careful, and with how hard the steel is that meant extraordinarily slow. I used files. In the end I got it working and it takes just about every modern mag, including the mecgars. Here's some pictures where the inside of the magwell is visible. The beavertail work is also visible.

I then put it back together enough to "season" the trigger engagement points with Flitz. Then I had to really clean it out from all the polishing and other work.

This was where the waiting really took place. I needed some parts and I had to postpone. By the time I had the money to get parts I also ordered some tan thin Bogie grips from Lok. The wait was almost over....

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:16:12 AM by Scarlett Pistol »

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 01:39:06 AM »
COMING TOGETHER:

The parts and Grips all came. I put it together. The big worry for me was using a CGW 11.5 lb hammer spring. I've never gotten them to work and a mentor told me that it may be due to my primer seating. I started trying an Rcbs bench mounted primer system and decided to use rounds from that new process.

When it all came together I started dry firing it and I got really excited! The grips felt so good! I loved the brown color. I chose it because of all the fine brown dirt that I found in the pistol, along with the other crap. It just seemed to be symbolic of its hard soul and past. Anyway, the grips and the new beavertail and the aggressive undercut for the trigger guard made this feel incredible!

I made it to the range about a week ago. I meant to take pictures but... It just felt so good that I kept shooting and forgot pictures! Even with the terrible front sight I could just shoot it. Fast, slow, close, far, it did whatever I asked! The only problem is that the spur hammer hits my hand with the high grip I can get. The spur doesn't pinch my hand and it isn't sharp, but it eventually breaks skin. I shot just under 100 rounds. No failures whatsoever! It ran all my OEM mags and Mecgar mags. I don't know how accurate I was that day so I'll say it was accurate and take the blame for fliers. I can't explain how pleased I was. So much so that I don't even feel rushed to refinish the coating. I like it with all its character!

Here's some pictures. The Double Action is the most buttery smooth I have ever felt. It clocks in at 5 lbs 9 ounces. The single action has some camming and the safety moves a little (indicating sear cage movement), but it is a nice 2 lbs 12 ounces. If I got a trigger with a set screw it would not have over travel and be better.

The final two pictures are just side shots with bad lighting. It shows the beavertail and trigger guard undercut pretty nicely. I need to put some grip tape on the front and back strap. There's quite a bit left to do in regards to finish work. But like I said, it runs and feels so nice now that I just want to give it lots of love via range time!

Infact, it was such a success that I have started transforming my CZ 75 B Compact to match my Pre B! That is in another thread already, but here's the picture to show where this is going.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 06:57:22 AM »
Glad to see the '87 came together. I'm especially loving that round trigger guard compact. I bought a second 97 with the intention of rounding the guard doing a high cut and shortening the dust cover. It's pristine though and I haven't worked up the courage to jump in yet.

Offline Alcoy

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 07:17:22 AM »
You did a great job on that pre -B.  Congrats!

Offline HST

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 08:51:07 AM »
Nice job restoring your pre b , please keep us updated .
P 10
75 B SAO
Browning Hi Power
Sig 365 XL
Colt 1911 70 series

Offline John1125

• Leaving a carbon footprint one round at a time .
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 09:15:29 AM »
Nice work so far !

I'm really loving your undercut on the trigger guard. I never looked close but I am assuming that from the mag release forward and down is solid ? Would hate to be grinding away and a hole show up .

You gonna brown this one ?

Kirk
Life is too short to live with a sorry trigger............

You shoot 250,000 rounds figuring out your mistakes , you shoot the  next 250,000  trying to correct them........

CZ75B
PreB 75
Transitional 75 X 2

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 10:49:27 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Glad to see the '87 came together. I'm especially loving that round trigger guard compact. I bought a second 97 with the intention of rounding the guard doing a high cut and shortening the dust cover. It's pristine though and I haven't worked up the courage to jump in yet.

Thanks! I feel you on getting the courage. I've wanted to do this to my Compact for a long time and finally just started it. I still done have a plan or way to for the finish (cerakote or something else).

Nice work so far !

I'm really loving your undercut on the trigger guard. I never looked close but I am assuming that from the mag release forward and down is solid ? Would hate to be grinding away and a hole show up .

You gonna brown this one ?

Kirk

Thanks! Yeah, it's all solid. I cut this one to the limit of where I'd want to cut. There was quite a bit of material to remove on this one and the Compact. I left a little more material on the Compact.

I wanted to. I'm also waiting on the finish to figure out the front sight. The top left side is dinged and I might need a new one. If I do I don't have a tool to install this style... I'm considering having the slide cut for modern front sights. If I do that I may just have CGW install the bushing too. That's not cheap so I'm still figuring out what I am going to do and if there's a way I can to it on my own. Once all that is worked out then I'll do the finish.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 08:57:09 PM »
The way it shoots, do you really think it needs a new/replacement barrel bushing?

Beat me to it on the Compact.  My CZ 85 Compact clone has the dual controls and spur hammer but I've never gotten around to rounding off the trigger guard (I carry it every day, I'll have to find something else to carry while mine's getting reshaped and refinished - one of these days).

So, you've got a pre B CZ 75, with no finish.  You've got a CZ 75 Compact, that will need to be refinished.  Are you thinking about matching finishes/colors?

If I go that route with my Compact clone (thought about it, but probably won't) it's dual tone cerakote.  But, since I carry the clone all the time wear is going to affect the finish at some point.  The pre B CZ 85 still looks new as I don't carry it in a kydex holster.  I've refinished (Brownell's dark cold blue compound) the controls once already as going in/out of the holster puts some wear/rear on them.  That's made me think about hard chrome (that stainless steel look) for the Compact.

Waiting on pics now, Scarlett Pistol.  Need those pics.

Oh, did I miss how you rounded off the trigger guard?  I have a 1" wide hobby belt sander I was planning to use.  It's what I modified the bottom of the Pre B CZ 85 with and it worked great.  I thought I'd use it on the clone trigger guard, too.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 11:21:00 PM »
I don't know... I need to really go try it it from a sand bag to see how it groups. If there are fliers then I can guess it is with the barrel lock up somewhere. From there I'll have to figure out what it needs.

Haha I guess I did beat you to it sort of by accident and via you and Earl suggesting rounding the trigger guard. I was indifferent before hand but now that I look at before and after pics I am liking the rounded trigger guard on the compact.

If money were not an issue I would hard chrome over electroless nickel for all my CZ's! But... I am thinking of finding a way to cerakote. Trying to find someone locally that would let me watch and learn so I can do it on my own pistols. Who knows... I may have them match, but I haven't thought that far ahead.

I think I posted that in the thread specifically about the Compact. Let me go snag the link. I have another picture to add here in a little bit for more work on the Compact anyways.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 08:31:48 AM »
For rounding the trigger guard, I used a bench grinder to roughly shape. I then used files and sand paper/Emory cloth to finish.

Offline myczaccount

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 11:05:51 AM »
Nice job!
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE
Smith & Wesson Shield Plus

The Guardian

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 11:17:54 PM »
A lot of love going into these projects.......great results, looking forward to future updates.....keep up the awesome work! ;)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 01:34:15 AM »
This was at 10 yards tonight. This range only goes to 15 yards. I stuck to ten so I could see those red dots as an aiming reference. The bottom two shots were me. I have a hard time with good accuracy with the blacked out front sight this has. I need to get some Testors and give it some color. I was doing a 6 o'clock sight picture.

If I could get the POA consistent that would go from a 1.5" group to a 1" group at 10 yards. In theory, that means 3 inches at 30 yards. That's about what I was doing with my Witness Hunter 10mm on average (standing, 2 handed grip). So... First paint, then figuring out if a new front sight is needed or paint fixes it.

PS- The hammer is still breaking skin. I still had a little scab from the last time (the last range trip gave me a good sized scab and it took a bit to heal since it got washed and stretched from use many times each day) and this time it only took about 15 rounds to open a part of that up again.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 06:40:23 PM »
Here's how far the spur hammer drops down behind the beavertail. My grip pushes my hand up the where the red arrow is pointing.

I don't know... Maybe I just put some tape on my hand. The impact isn't painful, it's just when it wears out the skin things aren't fun.

Here's a few pics of the front sight and how it is dinged up.

anything