Author Topic: I must have missed something - what is 6.5 Creedmore and why all the hate?  (Read 2608 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Seriously, saw a post on FB about "most overhyped new guns for 2017", and the level of vitriol for this 6.5mm Creedmore round was stunning, to say the least. Any thoughts?

Offline eastman

I've heard a lot of good things about 6.5Cr as a long range target cartridge. I don't own one, but can't say that I never will own one either (I had said that years ago about .40 and now I own 4 CZ pistols in .40)

I haven't seen the hate - good thing I am not on Facebook  ;D

I don't look like my avatar!

Offline ReloaderFred

I don't do facebook, for a lot of reasons, but the 6.5 Creedmore has proven to be one of the inherently accurate rounds.  It carries good for long distance, and makes a good hunting round for such things as deer sized critters.  I would bet those who express all the vitriol have never owned one, nor ever shot one.

As for me, their opinions only matter if I care.............

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

skin

I have a dpms lr in 6.5 creed. It's a great hunting round, good for those long shots on game or paper.

wags68

I talked to guys who shoot PRS matches, and they all love 6.5 CM. 6.5 CM has a higher hit probability than 308. The thing to note though is - compared to 308, 6.5 CM barrel life is much shorter.

I ended up buying a Savage 10 FCP-SR in 308 to learn on, with plans to re-barrel into 6.5CM once I get the hang if shooting long range.

Offline pewpew4life

Some people's kids, I tell ya....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline AZ_CZ

it does seemed to be overhyped lately. It's been around for awhile but now a lot of guns are being chambered and a lot of shooters are getting shots down range. If you read blogs and comments you might think the laws of physics don't apply to the 6.5 Creed. Sort of reminds of all the tall tales of the 7mm mag; it was the magic hunting bullet back in the day. Of course that was wrong it was really my pet favorite 300 win mag! I told myself that my long range shooting days are over and the trusty 308s are ready to go if and when. Then Cabelas but the Savage 12FV in 6.5 CM on sale with the $100 rebate. My will power couldn't withstand a $210 gun. Taking it out next week and see what it can do with factory ammo, a crummy factory stock and an old Simmons scope. Should be interesting.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Earl Keese

I bought my Dad a 12FV in .223 during the last sale, still waiting on the rebate. $219 +tax for a gun that shoots 1/2moa(100yds) with cheap factory ammo. Gotta love that, I'm kicking myself for not buying a few more as future projects. Every web warrior and his brother are expert long range shooters nowadays and CM is the round du jour. Nothing magical about it, 6.5x47 Lapua is a better choice for brass life. A buddy of mine got 6000 rds out of his Bartlein barrel before accuracy fell off(1k yd +).

Offline Joe L

I talked to guys who shoot PRS matches, and they all love 6.5 CM. 6.5 CM has a higher hit probability than 308. The thing to note though is - compared to 308, 6.5 CM barrel life is much shorter.

I ended up buying a Savage 10 FCP-SR in 308 to learn on, with plans to re-barrel into 6.5CM once I get the hang if shooting long range.

Similar story here.  Learning on a .308 Savage 10 and may eventually convert to 6.5 CM.  I've learned to ignore a lot of stuff on other forums.  Ballistics says shoot the smaller faster bullet at long distances instead of lobbing heavy .308 rounds at something 1000 yards away in the wind. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
long range guys love it because the long for caliber bullets (as standard) feature some of the best BCs around and stay supersonic well past what the .308 can do.  I just bought a Savage lightweight hunter in 6.5creed creed because it weighs 5.5 lbs and I have more confidence in it as a deer killer much like the long action Swede 6.5 has proven to be.  The 243 win is too light for my intention YMMV.

Now the 6mm Creedmoor is a waste IMO and will fail, the .243 Win being a good enough 6mm for its purposes..

Im sure hate is from vets and want to be's that grew up on .308, elongated their sniper rifle's throats to accommodate longer bullets, etc. , just like many old-schoolers still relate the myths and anecdotal experiences about the M9's unreliability.

No disrespect intended; thanks for your service!

If I ever out shoot my long range setup in .243 win or shoot out its barrel, I'll cosider rebarrelling it in 6.5 creed as well.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 05:43:54 PM by Tyerone »

Offline Joe L

Re: I must have missed something - what is 6.5 Creedmore and why all the hate?
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 09:56:25 AM »
My hesitation to convert to 6.5 CM is that my Savage 10 shoots 175 gr .308 so well out to 500m that I can still learn a lot about wind and 500-1000 yards before I need to convert. 

But, if it will irritate the old schoolers, I'll do it sooner rather than later.   :) :)

Joe

PS--Once heard at a local bullseye match "You can't shoot a bullseye match with a plastic 9mm service pistol!"  ...Once...

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 04:16:08 PM »
A-man, a few years ago, I was thinking of getting into some long range benchrest shooting, 600 yards, maybe 1000.  Didn't do it, but I was looking into it, and 6.5 Creedmoor was on of the calibers I was looking at.  It's been around since 2007.   I did a lot of reading about it.  And there was a lot of hate for it 2012(-ish?) when i was looking into it. 

The hate back then seemed not to be that it was a bad cartridge, but that it was a marketing gimmick by Hornady.  Ballistics are near identical to .260 Remington, and very similar, though a bit faster than 6.5x47mm Lapua, with both of those cartridges already being well-respected for certain benchrest disciplines.  So the view was that Hornady had simply created a new cartridge to compete with those other two, but one that offered no performance advantages over those other two in whatever practical use or competitive discipline it would be used in, and then marketed the heck out of it like it was the end-all be-all.

So it wasn't that the cartridge was bad, it was that the cartridge was an over-hyped copycat of two existing cartridges.

By all accounts, the cartridge is fantastic and inherently accurate, EXACTLY like the .260 Remington and 6.5x47 Lapua.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:07:04 PM by IDescribe »

Offline Joe L

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 05:11:13 PM »
IDescribe--good point.  And Hornady's marketing seems to have worked.  But I'm a year away from making a switch. 
Joe

Offline K31Scout

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 06:29:21 PM »
It was developed for the long range shooters, bench rest or prone or rapid fire etc.  The bullets can be seated much longer in the CM vs .260 and still fit in a magazine (without taking up room for the powder).  Ballistically out paces the Lapua.  It's popular with that crowd because it truly works better, discovered over 10 years ago.  Why does it?  The 260 has a lot of body taper and shallow shoulder which can introduce misalignment between bore and bullet.  CM centers up in the chamber much better with a 30 degree shoulder and minimum body taper along with seating closer to the lands. 

If anybody is mad that it's killing the .260, blame Remington for almost total non support of the round.  Shop for .260 target or hunting ammo vs Creedmoor. 
CZ 75 SP-01
CZ P-07
CZ P-09

Offline Kenneth

I must have missed something - what is 6.5 Creedmore and why all the hate?
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 06:29:28 PM »
Let me tell you guys. I have a few thousand rounds down range from a 6.5 creed. I will say that it?s very easy to load for as you can get Lapua brass and a ton of Bullet selections.

Problem is EVERYONE buys all the H4350 you can find.

I consistently make 1st round hits at 1000 yards pretty easy. I will say that if your shooting 500 yards and in get a .223 and load for about 1/2 the price.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:37:00 PM by Kenneth »

anything