Author Topic: I must have missed something - what is 6.5 Creedmore and why all the hate?  (Read 2630 times)

skin

Re: I must have missed something - what is 6.5 Creedmore and why all the hate?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 06:52:57 PM »
 I like the round and use it for hunting, shots at 500 yds and less. After all, it's only a 22-250 improved necked up to 6.5. There are better rounds for hunting and for shooting long range. 6.5 cm is a personal compromise.

Offline Colorado Shooter

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 08:35:39 AM »
It?s the .308W guys who are complaining. I don?t like Hornady and it?s relentless marketing, but the round flat out runs. But, Hornady says their new 6.5 PRC round is the next big thing. SMH

Offline Kenneth

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 10:04:59 AM »
Another plus is 6.5 creed has been picked up by a lot of ammo companies.

I am a reloaded but sometimes I just don?t feel like it and will buy factory ammo. Having the ability to buy factory match ammo that will run .5 MOA in my Rifle is nice.

The only downside is how popular 6.5?s have become and making components getting scarce.

If anyone has any detailed questions on reloading or other bolt gun questions let me know and I?ll see what I can come up with.

In 2018 I see no benefit staying with a .308 UNLESS you want longer barrel life. 6.5 creed is anywhere from 2.5k-3.5k people are saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 11:29:30 PM »
Ok, that answers the question. I don't use rounds that burn out barrels if I can avoid it - I'm a poor state slave and can't afford to buy new barrels! I also don't shoot long range, as my local range only goes out to 300 yards, so I usually shoot 100-200 yards max. I can't SEE much farther than that!  8) ;D

Quote from: Joe L
PS--Once heard at a local bullseye match "You can't shoot a bullseye match with a plastic 9mm service pistol!"  ...Once...
Love the Johnny Dangerously quote! And I know you enjoyed showing them how it's done. ;)

Online Joe L

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 06:36:49 AM »
Ok, that answers the question. I don't use rounds that burn out barrels if I can avoid it -
Quote from: Joe L
PS--Once heard at a local bullseye match "You can't shoot a bullseye match with a plastic 9mm service pistol!"  ...Once...
And I know you enjoyed showing them how it's done. ;)

I'm with you on the long barrel life, although at the rate I'm going with the .308, it won't be a problem with the 6.5 CM. 

As far as the polymer service pistol in a bullseye match, I shot the P-09 in all the matches in 2015 and won nearly all the centerfire matches.  I made my point.  But they were right in that a heavier gun and a larger hole with the .45 WAS an advantage, especially on a windy day.  Thus the 97B"E" after I learned what I was doing, somewhat.  An all steel .45 CZ seems to be an acceptable bullseye match gun, even to the 1911 fanboys. 

I think a polymer striker fired P-10 CZ would be the ultimate irritant at a bullseye match.  On a calm day.

Joe

CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 01:47:31 AM »
And grand fun to watch the purists squirm. ;D

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 08:36:59 AM »
In the ~3 years I have worked at a gun store, the 6.5 Creedmoor has been the best selling cartridge every year.  I could count the number of .30-06 I sell each year on one hand.

But here's a little about the community where I live: we are an aging population that is quite flat and mainly hunts whitetail, mule deer, and pronghorn.  It is not uncommon to have shots at game over 350 yards.  The Creedmoor is perfect for our area.  Many retired guys have traded in their .300 Win Mag's and .30-06's and gone with the lighter recoiling cartridge.  I also sell many of them to younger hunters who aren't quite ready for a heavy recoiling cartridge.

As an example of how popular it is up here, I sold 4 cases of Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X rounds in a day and a half during dear season.  Four cases of Premium rounds, not el topo cheapo round.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 08:58:44 AM »
As an example of how popular it is up here, I sold 4 cases of Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X rounds in a day and a half during dear season.  Four cases of Premium rounds, not el topo cheapo round.

Customer demand, or very modest good salesmanship ??

;D
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 09:18:08 AM »

Customer demand, or very modest good salesmanship ??

;D

Hmmm....maybe a little bit of both! 

Honestly, I'm not a very good "salesman".  I'm too honest for the job.  I don't push hype, but I do offer as many facts as I can.  If you're gonna shoot Creedmoor you have plenty of good offerings in the 140 grain area, but the 143 ELD-X will work for game up to Elk with one of the highest ballistic coefficients in a factory loaded cartridge.  We have several guys in the county with private ranges shooting this bullet out to a mile.  Two of my friends have shot big bodied Montana deer with them at rangefinder verified distances past 600 yards (one with a Savage 10 Predator Hunter and one with a Ruger Precision Rifle, both topped with first focal plane Vortex Viper PST's).

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 09:41:15 AM »
Good one, Caped Creedmoor Crusader !!
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline steerclr

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 05:00:49 PM »
My brother has a TC single shot that he got a 6.5 Creedmore barrel for and loves it.  It is now his go to gun.  He didn't like the 30-06 bolt action (too much recoil) so he tried a 243 bolt gun.  The 243 was better on recoil, but then he thought about this cartridge.  The 243 now collects dust.

He now swears by the 6.5 Creedmore.  The 12 point he got this season made him a believer.  Here in central NC we rarely shoot over 100yds, 200yds max, but it is an effective round and easy to control.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 08:43:49 PM »
I'm not buying the barrel burner comments.  The long range rounds are pretty heavy 140+gr and exit at 2700 fps or so.   How is that burning up barrels?  It is not the muzzle velocity (speed down the pipe) that makes it a long ranger, it the fact that inferier BCs slow down those other calibers at a faster rate during free flight.

Both 6.5 creed and .308 win are rated at 62000 psi.  Me thinks the barrel burning comment is just more internet myth from the naysayers.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:56:28 PM by Tyerone »

Online Joe L

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2018, 09:32:24 PM »
Tyerone--the shorter barrel life is real for the 6.5 CM compared to the .308.  Has to do with the smaller bullet and bore cross sectional area so more concentrated heat right at the lands.  I think.  People don't replace their barrels unless they quit shooting well.  It happens, near as I can tell from what I've read.  But I don't understand the reason why very well myself.  There's more too it than internet hype, that I'm sure of. 

Perhaps a real rifle guy can explain it to us no-shoulder guys. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2018, 09:51:35 PM »
Quote from: jameslovesjammie
...we are an aging population that is quite flat ...

Flat people can shoot? Do a lot of prone? ;D Sorry, couldn't help myself. ;)

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 11:55:20 PM »
Quote from: jameslovesjammie
...we are an aging population that is quite flat ...

Flat people can shoot? Do a lot of prone? ;D Sorry, couldn't help myself. ;)

Actually, most of our aging people are flat on one side, round on the other.  Like a lower case "b" with legs.   :o

anything