Author Topic: How frequently to replace retaining pin for firing pin?  (Read 936 times)

Offline jack76590

How frequently to replace retaining pin for firing pin?
« on: January 02, 2018, 08:36:02 PM »
Just purchased a Rami decocker and on this forum reading about wear of the firing pin retaining pin. I generally like stock parts and do not really want to replace firing pin and retaining pin with non stock parts. So wondering how often I should replace the retaining pin, if do little or no dry firing without snap cap? I might consider use of cajun gun work retaining pin with stock firing pin, if this would prolong life of pin. It does not appear to be difficult to replace retaining pin, but any instructions or tips appreciated. thanks.

Offline Googe1227

• Chiraq CZ Fan
Re: How frequently to replace retaining pin for firing pin?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:20:49 PM »
Put in the CGW roll pin and then you can forget about ever worrying again! ;)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:35:50 PM »
You can't tell, when looking at the outside of the gun, that the stock retaining pin has been replaced.  The only one who'll know is you - if you're the one that replaces it.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 10:03:14 PM »
It isn't difficult to replace until it's damaged,  then it "can be" a booger to replace.
Catch 22. O0
Use Snap Caps or an O-Ring for dry fire and it'll last a very long time.  If you eventually need to do a thorough cleaning to include the firing pin channel,  then you can check it or just replace it at that convenient time.
If it worries you,  buy a spare.  That guarantees it won't break. ;)

Offline tdogg

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 10:39:25 PM »
Even with the CGW spring steel firing pin retaining pin, you should inspect it annually (or less/more frequent depending on usage).  It is fairly simple to remove and inspect.  I do believe that the CGW pin is far superior to the OEM nested pins.

Here is a Rami thread with videos on my journey to cajunize my BD.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=62123.msg410719#msg410719

Cheers,
Toby

anything