Author Topic: Stumbled on a T-100 today...  (Read 1481 times)

Offline cammobunker

Stumbled on a T-100 today...
« on: January 07, 2018, 10:45:54 PM »
Went to the first gun show I've been to in over a year today, not necessarily looking for anything in particular. There sat a lonely, abused T-100 on a guys table. It has actual finish wear (!), wears slim-line aluminum grips, came with one magazine and nothing else. I noted the safety was missing the ball detent but I knew this was an easily available part. I asked how much? He said 300. He wanted it gone, he said. Bought it for a girlfriend who wasn't a girlfriend anymore (he didn't sound too sad about that, actually). I noted the malfunctioning safety and proposed $250, and we settled at $275. Out it went with me. T-100's being sold out everywhere these days, and used ones going for over $400 on the auction sites right now, I thought I did OK.
Interestingly, the front of the grips were profiled down into a smooth transition to the frame which gives it a very nice feel at the front.
No pics yet, as I suspect this gun may have had a 1000 rounds (possibly more) through her without cleaning. It's utterly filthy, and the grips need touching up, and of course the safety detent is missing. It's so dirty it was hard to field strip.
This is one of the "transitional" frames with the "Shark" flat base triggerguard like the Jericho but marked T-100. 

Now for some gunscrubber, black paint for the grips and a trip to CGW for a pair of safety lever detent bearings. And maybe Greg Cote for some compact mags. I've got full size mags that will work of course but this looks like a nice carry gun once she's fitted up and functioning to my satisfaction. 

Offline Flibuoy1

Re: Stumbled on a T-100 today...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 11:16:58 PM »
Never heard that there was a ?transitional? T-100. I do have one of Academy?s first and it is that flat bottom. I just sold a late Academy example that I had bought used recently with less than box through it... it had a rounded trigger guard bottom. I sometimes wonder if there are two T-100s that match....running changes galore.

Did the spring leave with the detention ball? Sometimes they, somehow, stick in their receptacle.  If you didn?t check now would be a good time so you can order with ball. If it is there...and you happen to have some steel pellet birdshot around....poof! A dab of grease on ball will help retain it on reinstall.

I do find it odd that it was that nasty when you bought it...good luck on what you find when you get it all spiffed up and can see the condition better. They are a great pistol with a distinctive look. I hope you enjoy yours
Have you ever seen a statue honoring someone who left well enough alone?

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »
Congratulations on the deal and may it serve you well!  8)  :)
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline cammobunker

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 11:30:07 PM »
Never heard that there was a ?transitional? T-100. I do have one of Academy?s first and it is that flat bottom. I just sold a late Academy example that I had bought used recently with less than box through it... it had a rounded trigger guard bottom. I sometimes wonder if there are two T-100s that match....running changes galore.

Did the spring leave with the detention ball? Sometimes they, somehow, stick in their receptacle.  If you didn?t check now would be a good time so you can order with ball. If it is there...and you happen to have some steel pellet birdshot around....poof! A dab of grease on ball will help retain it on reinstall.

I do find it odd that it was that nasty when you bought it...good luck on what you find when you get it all spiffed up and can see the condition better. They are a great pistol with a distinctive look. I hope you enjoy yours
Well I've now determined that the tiny spring is still resident in the safety, so all I need is the ball. I've also determined that removing said safety from the frame more or less commits you to a full tear down of the rear end of the gun since the sear/ejector assembly is under mainspring tension. You might get it out, like I did, but you aren't going to get it back in again without releasing that tension.
Besides, I've gone this far, I might just as well finish tearing it down, it seriously needs a detail strip cleaning anyway. It really is just utterly filthy. I have to say that the simplifications that Canik made to the CZ 75 sure makes detail stripping the frame easier. I'm still afraid to strip my CZ Pre-combat, although it needs it.

Offline Flibuoy1

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 02:07:24 PM »
Take it all off!

Strip that thing and love on it. It sure makes for a better pistol that will love you back

Offline 75Plus

• +12
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 05:01:40 PM »
Well I've now determined that the tiny spring is still resident in the safety, so all I need is the ball. I've also determined that removing said safety from the frame more or less commits you to a full tear down of the rear end of the gun since the sear/ejector assembly is under mainspring tension. You might get it out, like I did, but you aren't going to get it back in again without releasing that tension.

You can tie the hammer all the way back by looping a zip tie around the hammer and the beaver tail. The only spring left to deal with will be the trigger bar spring which must be dealt with in any event. PM me your mailing address and I will send you a rare earth magnet ball that is nearly impossible to loose!

Joe
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.”
George Washington

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Offline cammobunker

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 11:21:26 PM »
You can tie the hammer all the way back by looping a zip tie around the hammer and the beaver tail. The only spring left to deal with will be the trigger bar spring which must be dealt with in any event. PM me your mailing address and I will send you a rare earth magnet ball that is nearly impossible to loose!

Joe

A zip tie you say? Reeeaalllly... I like the sound of that! I was really not looking forward to pulling that hammer spring out if I could avoid it. And yes, I'll take you up on your offer of the magnetic ball too...I've already bought a couple from CGW (that aren't here yet) but those could become emergency spares in the parts box easily. Thank you!

Offline Marauderx

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 10:15:33 PM »
They are really not a big deal, once you learn the reassembly sequence. On the 75, Just make sure you retain the detent with a good paperclip... and the rest is the same as the Canik.  P.S., pop the trigger bar springs around the trigger bar, and shove it down, to make it easier...

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 09:22:53 PM »
Maybe this video can help you out to disassemble your T100

Offline Flibuoy1

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 09:49:57 AM »
I am looking forward to a follow up on your choice to shortcut or completely strip, clean and inspect.

With videos such as Pratical Shooter posted for you, there are a bunch, and a bit of reading I choose to believe you must have decided to do the whole 9 yards, complete strip, deep cleaning, inspect for problems, replace select improved parts such as trigger pin and springs, maybe a little smoothing...

Offline cammobunker

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 11:15:01 AM »
I got the Magnetic Ball detent from 75Plus (thanks again Joe!) and put the thing back together which was actually pretty easy. No, I did not tear the whole thing down, but I did gunscrubber it and the stuff that came out was...ugh.
Not putting any more money into it before I shoot it. It's had enough rounds through it that it's pretty smooth as is, remarkably so. I do not know if the previous owner did anything to the internals or not, but considering the missing safety detent it's a good bet.
Yes Practical Shooter I did indeed watch your videos, I'd already found it. It made things a great deal easier, so thanks for making them. I actually like the simplifications the folks at Canik did with the safety, they make the CZ less complex (fewer tiny parts is a good thing) without sacrificing anything. If the CZ has a defect, it's too many tiny, easily lost parts.
I've not had the opportunity to shoot it yet for reliability and ergonomics for me, and should I wish to carry it it will get a full detail strip and maybe sights and internals. I really like the platform so far so it's certainly in contention. My current EDC is a CZ82 which works just fine but I'd like a 9mm Parabellum rather than Mak. The new loadings for the 9P make it head and shoulders over the old 9mm Mak.
And yes, I know I need to post pics. Coming soon!

anything