Author Topic: Are PD JHP SD Rounds?  (Read 221 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Are PD JHP SD Rounds?
« on: January 08, 2018, 07:49:54 PM »
This was mentioned a couple of times in the past,  so I asked.   Decided to pass it on to any who would like to know.
PD responded:
Thank you for the inquiry.  PD does not market our JHPs as self defense projectiles, or design them specifically for that use.  That being said, they do preform quite well in 10% ballistic gelatin.  The projectile is not bonded however, and will not stand up to use through barriers.  You can expect ballistic performance similar to that of a comparable weight XTP.
Below the quote was a pic of the PD PRO box with an expanded PD bullet sitting on top.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:57:00 PM by 1SOW »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Are PD JHP SD Rounds?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 08:40:52 PM »
I have no issues with them.

Bullets are funny things.  As are the flesh/bone they may hit.  Shoot enough game (flesh/bone) and you'll see bullets do funny things.  The same bullet will do something completely out of character one time vs. another time.

And, I'm old enough to remember the first time around (early 80's) when the gelatin tests, the computer models and the interviews with emergency room doctors and sold everyone on the idea that the 9MM hollow points were better than anything else out there.  We all know where that ended up.  Now, once again, gelatin tests and other tests (other than an extensive set of testing on flesh/bone) are resulting in the idea that the 9MM is as good as anything else out there.  Maybe it is.  Time will tell.  Either the police departments jumping on the 9MM bandwagon and dropping their .40's will keep growing or in a few years they're will be a "drift" back to the .40 S&W (that'll make the gun manufacturers happy).

Oh, all my 9's are loaded with Precision Delta 115 grain hollow points.

Barriers?  That's what the .308 is for.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:34:50 PM »
Obviously, they'll work fine most of the time, but if they're not engineered to expand properly with cloth or other debris in the hollowpoint cavity or pass through barriers intact, they should not be trusted to be do so, and you might get suboptimal performance when you most need it.  They're less than ideal for defense use.  This shouldn't be in question.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 11:08:34 PM »
I won't use them for SD simply because I don't need to use second best.   I don't shoot enough real SD bullets to make  cost an issue.  My SD reloads with conventional bullets provide the SD practice needed.

PDs response was interesting.  Their "PRO" JHPs are noticeably more expensive than the regular jhps.

Offline copemech

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 11:40:55 PM »
what about XTP then, are they bonded? Hornady sells the new style now with the little plug in the end but I have not seen the bullets only for sale.

Ironically, I just loaded up a few 115 XTP over BE-86 for accuracy testing and looking for 25-50 yard groups.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 11:55:00 PM »
copemech,  I've loaded the Hornady "124" JHP and had good results with accuracy at 25 yards.  Same or maybe a skosh better with the 124 Speer GDs.  Testing was on different days,  so "my" accuracy likely effected the results.  They both shot with mild recoil at manufacturers' "standard" SD velocities using n340.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 04:09:25 PM »
1SOW, thanks for posting!  This same thought had crossed my mind as I have recently started using PD JHPs as my standard practice and competition bullet, and I was curious how it would "stack up" against commercial JHPs marketed as SD rounds.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 12:56:09 AM »
You're welcome sir.  Thank you for your interesting practice routine.

I use the PD 124 JHPs almost exclusively now for both range practice and matches.  I've dropped the MG 124 JHPs, and letting my Zero 125gr JHPs dwindle down.  They also shoot great at a LOT higher cost/bullet and frequent supply shortages.

Shot a match with the PDs this morning,  and "they" were perfect.  All shots were on target, no misses.  The operator screwed up a procedure on one stage,  but the Shadow with PDs was perfect. :-[

anything