Author Topic: Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62X39mm  (Read 410 times)

Offline CPTKILLER

Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62X39mm
« on: January 09, 2018, 12:02:17 PM »

This is a range report on my Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62X39mm.
[/color][/size]The rifle handles well and is light. Loading it for me must be done with the magazine removed. Loading and removing the magazine is like any other Ruger. Since it had been some time since I had dealt with a Ruger magazine it took some practice to get used to it. A 5 round mag comes with the rifle although others are available. The balance and weight of the rifle with this 5 round magazine meets my needs. [/font]
The scope on the rifle is a Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Riflescope with Duplex Reticle. It is for me a superb combination with this rifle. If you have used Leupolds, you get it. Simply put it is a superior American made optic.
The ammo was Tula 7.62X39mm FMJ steel cased ammo that I got from Walmart. It and the rifle performed perfectly. This could well be my ranch plinking and varmint ammo now that I used it.
With any new rifle, initially it shot low but I sighted it in. I am pleased with the results. It was easy with the Leupold scope to zero. For me it is zeroed. It took some practice and now I am a happy small Texas rancher.
The next question is the 7.62X39mm caliber. Based on my combat experience and that of contemporary troops, it is a hard hitting round. When I shot the empty Pepsi can and the water bottle, the rounds easily passed through with good velocity and good accuracy.
The pundits and keyboard warriors question the impact of the 7.62X39mm. Essentially they are reading ballistic charts with not much real world experience with bad guys shooting that caliber at you. It hits hard and is deadly. Ask anyone who has been hit by one.
The use for me with this rifle is:
1. Varmints on the ranch
2. Whitetail deer
3. Cheap plinking with metal case ammo

Overall, this a light and easy handling rifle. Recoil is mild. It is quick to get on target. It meets my needs perfectly.
Future additions:
A gun rack for the Polaris 500 Ranger is a must. That will happen soon and the rifle will accompany me everywhere I take the UTV.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62X39mm
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 03:23:26 PM »
Sounds like a great little rifle that I could get interested in!  8)  :)

Congratulations and may it serve you well!  :)

BTW, you might like to investigate the Silver Bear 123 grain Softpoints and Wolf 150 grain Softpoints.  The newer versions expand very nicely on game and should be effective for defensive use.

Currently, I will hunt with my old milled Chinese SKS and my Tactical Carbines are either my customized Vz2008/Vz58 or my customized Egyptian AKM, both in 7.62x39mm.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline RPN

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 06:19:05 PM »
Here's mine... I'm loving it too.

At 100 yards with tula 124 sp (turned sideways by imgur for some reason)

I bought like 4-5 different brands of ammo and look forward to seeing how it does.  But with groups like the tula...I'm good already!  ;D

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:22:17 PM by RPN »

Offline CPTKILLER

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 09:00:56 AM »
It is an excellent and capable rifle.  It is great. 

Offline skin

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 09:26:50 AM »
Hey CPTKILLER, you're just south of me. Don't forget those pesky hogs and coyotes ! We are overran with them. Would like to hear how your new rifle does against some big hogs. Good hunting.

Offline CPTKILLER

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 10:11:12 AM »
There are hogs near me around Highway 36 where I live.  If they show their snouts, they may be history.  Lots of folks get them in Coryell County.  Coyotes here are livestock predators and need taking out on sight.

Offline skin

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 12:11:21 PM »
I couldn't agree more.