Author Topic: The best gun 'upgrade': more practice? Formal instr.?  (Read 611 times)

Offline Laufer

The best gun 'upgrade': more practice? Formal instr.?
« on: January 10, 2018, 08:19:58 PM »
As the handgun bug bit late in life-age 60-I acquired the CCW two years ago. But first actual handgun tng. consisted of two days of classes last month. My other  carry gun is a used .40 Sig 229. It seems best to use the guns to reinforce any and all techniques learned from the class and videos such as "Armscor".       

Your best upgrade to accelerate improvement?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:23:51 PM by Laufer »

Offline baldrage

Re: The best gun 'upgrade': more practice? Formal instr.?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 08:31:24 PM »
Dry fire, live fire, and one or two training classes per year -- like three legs of a stool.

Start shooting some type of competition  (steel challenge, bullseye, IDPA, USPSA, etc) and you'll be motivated to keep practicing -- like a self-reinforcing a 'circle of virtue.'

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »
Agreed. Start shooting competition local matches, it's an easy way to see where you can improve and track your scores over time. Great people will keep you coming back too.

Gear related, depending on your eye sight you may consider looking for a red dot gun (suggest Carry Optics division for USPSA).  We've got a couple retirees shooting local matches and it's hard to watch people struggle with simply seeing the front sight.  A couple recently got red dot sight guns and they have improved immensely compared to those that didn't get a red dot gun.

Sig P320 RX
Walther Q5 Match
Glock MOS
https://us.glock.com/mos
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:38:28 AM by IronicTwitch »

Offline dave33

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:22:09 AM »
If you have a softer shooting gun than a .40 I would spend much more time shooting it, a snappy .40 is a good way for a new shooter to develop a lot of bad habits that will have to be corrected later.  A .22 pistol is a good way to get going, learning the fundamentals without worrying about hanging onto the gun.

Instruction is great as long as you find an instructor that knows how to instruct, not just an enthusiast that has taken the instructor classes and only knows how to regurgitate book ideas and such.  I have met and shot tons of matches with "Certified Pistol Instructors" over the years that are great folks but I'm pretty sure are instructors in title only.  Quality instruction isn't going to be cheap but will be a great way to get solid fundamentals to build with.  However without practice that time and money with be pointless. 

Definitely shoot some local matches, IDPA is a great way to start, shorter and well defined strings of fire.  Nothing like having a buzzer go off to help you understand what needs more practice. O0

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 02:40:31 PM »
I agree with the above folks in general.
Learn on the 9mm and or 22 rimfire pistols.  This will help learn the basics best:  Grip,trigger pull and sights .
A REAL pistol instructor can SEE where you need to make changes.
Practicing and shooting ingrains these techniques into habit.  If you learn the wrong way,  it's 10 times harder to correct bad habits. 
Shooting in local competition action shooting is a superior way to have fun and enthusiastically keep shooting.
Add dry fire and range practice with good instruction and your skills will increase fastest.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:49:16 AM by 1SOW »

Offline Snowb1rd

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 07:44:08 PM »
Agree with the guys above:

Downgrade to 9mm if possible
Get some real instruction with a class to learn the basics and solidify your fundamentals.
Practice practice practice
Get into competition
Watch your money bleed from your wallet :)

Offline Laufer

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 05:17:55 PM »
Lots more dry firing the DA on the 'new' .40. cal. Sig P229 might later help with the lighter DA on the CZ PO1?
This used P229 (in DA/SA) doesn't seem snappy at all, very similar to the 9mm And the .40 229 I rented (both) just before getting the 229 'bug'.

But let's be clear-- I certainly like the CZ PO1 just as much, maybe a tad more...and here we are on a CZ forum :D

Eyes are still good, will follow you guys' advice.
Those two separate classes in Nov & Dec were instructed by a US/Israeli guy who works in a counter-terror, border patrol unit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:21:20 PM by Laufer »

Offline Joe L

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 06:11:20 PM »
All good advice above.  I'll add something from my own personal experience.  I've taken two courses, one by Bruce Gray and Jerry Jones and another by a bullseye shooter, Brian Zins.  Sure, they went through the fundamentals but what they really taught me was how to learn to move the trigger without moving the gun.  Everything else is secondary, as most people simply move the gun as they finish the trigger stroke.  Until they learn NOT to do that, sight alignment, stance, everything else, is useless. 

If you shoot two handed, spend some time shooting groups at 25 yards, standing, at a slow pace.  Analyze each shot.  Make changes in grip and trigger finger position until you can drop the hammer without moving the gun.  Note where the sights are when the gun goes off.  If the sights move just before the hammer drops, you have some work to do.  I preload the trigger, line the sights up, then move the last little bit, keeping the tension is all of my fingers constant except for the trigger finger.  I no longer jerk the trigger, pull left or right, up or down.  I've modified grips, triggers, springs, etc., to get the gun to fit my hands so that I could be consistent and fully in control.  Every shot. 

Well, most of the time.   :) :)

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 11:22:49 PM »
Solid advice, Joe.  I've got over 10K rounds down range in the last 4 years and I'm still working on perfecting the trigger isolation.  Shooting groups at 20-25 yards unsupported are very telling. 

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 04:14:55 PM »
Solid training followed by lots of live and dry fire practice.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:59:05 PM by s0nspark, Reason: fixed my typo »
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline Vinny

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 05:18:22 PM »

s0nspark,
One of your posts in another thread (I think the one about CZ's 2018 intros) noted how dry-fire practice with an RDS really helps you see how your sight picture moves off bull's eye as you pull the trigger. Great suggestion!

Now, if only I could shoot 1/2 as good as Joe L.  ::)

Thanks for this thread.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:59:23 PM by s0nspark, Reason: fixed my typo »
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 06:01:41 PM »
One of your posts in another thread (I think the one about CZ's 2018 intros) noted how dry-fire practice with an RDS really helps you see how your sight picture moves off bull's eye as you pull the trigger. Great suggestion!

Thanks Vinny :) It was eye-opening, to say the least!
"A man's character is his fate."