Author Topic: Penetration testing 165 gr 9mm bullets  (Read 197 times)

Offline John A.

Penetration testing 165 gr 9mm bullets
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:11:20 AM »
I haven't seen any kind of penetration testing to determine how Xtremes 165gr 9mm bullets would perform.

Just after Thanksgiving, I ordered 500 bullets (not loaded ammo) and now that I have a load worked up that I like, I wanted to see how they would perform in penetration testing.

I knew they sound good and function good in my guns, but I didn't know how they'd perform once they leave the gun, so I took the advice of one of my friends and made what he affectionately calls a "tater tunnel".

Essentially, it's a bunch of 2x4's that lets you stack them full of potatoes to give something for the bullets to shoot into.  I really wanted to do gel, but at $12-$15 a shot, using potatoes is a lot cheaper.  And still gave me a good idea of what to expect from the bullets.  Below are a few pictures of the tunnel.  Before I forget, the tunnel is 24" long to give plenty of room to do what it needs to, to stop the bullet.  We also measured the top wall of the tunnel and marked off each inch so we would know what kind of penetration we're getting without having to carry a tape measure with us too since we already had enough to keep up with.

I also stapled a piece of denim over the tunnel opening.

And I used an 8 foot long 2x4 as the base to help me stay aligned with it better as I was shooting.

The next picture shows how a 115 gr Tula 9mm bullet did.

It came to rest at 17" of penetration. 

Now to see how the 165's performs.

Unfortunately, I nicked the top 2x4 at a slight angle by accident that traveled about 2 inches through the edge of it.

It still traveled the entire 24" through fresh potatoes, and exited the bottom left hand corner of the tunnel and came to rest between it and the table top.

This is better than I expected it to do considering that it's moving about 880 fps.

The video below shows the shots,  and the final portion of the short video shows me trying to test a 194 gr Lehigh Defense maximum expansion load that I worked up in my 300 blackout too.  I won't ruin the surprise of how it turned out.  It was a bit messy though

When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline mrcabinet

Re: Penetration testing 165 gr 9mm bullets
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 12:23:36 PM »
Cool! It's always fun making things blow up.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 05:15:48 PM »
Best practical joke ever.   ;D

Offline John A.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »
Best practical joke ever.   ;D

Actually, the best one I ever did was to my wife.

She had been pranking me a while.  Jumping out and yelling boo and all sorts of stuff.

I finally told her, I will get even.

The next morning, I got up to go to work as I normally did and while she was in the shower, I brought a kitchen chair in the living room and gently (being the key word here) poured baby powder on top of the ceiling fan blades and put everything back up and went on to work.

It took her 3 or 4 days before it got her and she turned the fan on, but my kids were home from school when she did and they told me it was a sight to behold and looked like fog in the living room.

Of course, she saved a lot of the what-not dusting for me when I got home that evening, but it was worth every minute of it.

That weaned her from pranking me.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »
I figured 165g and 147 for that matter would have blown right through.

I line my potato tunnel with plastic, then pour in enough chicken gravy to fill up all of the vacant space/air gaps.  Don't sift the fat off of of the chicken stock or at least save it to add back in to the mixture (I'm assuming that you might actually want to eat a chicken dinner).  OK, now fill some of the larger gaps with bones from the carcass, then pour in the cooled down chicken stock after making sure the fat melted back into it.  You dont want the fat rising to the top/coagulating in the pot.  Ideal "gravy" temperature is around 110 deg F.  Ideal outdoor temperature for the tunnel is 20 deg F.  Pour the gravy into the potato tunnel and with a putty knife or sme such, try to get the air bubbles out.  After a couple hours it will gell up nicely.

I compared this mixture with actual geletan and it performs within 5%.in most cases.  If you calibrateit with a bb (no ddenim) then ratio it compared to calibrated gelatin this method comes within 1.5%.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 11:58:00 AM »
That's funny stuff.  ;)

anything