Author Topic: msr 7.62x39 owners just a reminder  (Read 169 times)

Offline skin

msr 7.62x39 owners just a reminder
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »
 If you have a ar15 type rifle and shoot  corrosive ammo, you must clean the barrel and the BOLT CARRIER GROUP.  A friend stopped by and had cycling problems. Took it apart and noticed fine rust in the bcg. Took it apart and cleaned the rust out. Worked like a champ. Some ammo is advertised as non corrosive, but actually is corrosive.

Offline MadDuner

Re: msr 7.62x39 owners just a reminder
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:46:35 AM »
My 5.45x39 shoots Russian ammo, some of which is clearly corrosive.  That thing gets stripped down and doused with cleaner before I drive home after shooting it at the range.  Every weapon I own gets cleaned right after being used anyway, so I just get a jump on it with that one.

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 11:46:05 AM »
With some of the Russian ammo it is the primers that are corrosive.  Regardless, if you are diligent like MadDuner, you’re GTG.

GS
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader

Offline texasmojo

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 01:15:55 AM »
I run the bore snake at the range then do a good detailed cleaning when I get home.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 09:48:52 AM »
I keep a spray bottle of ammonia and water in my range kit. Flush the bore and wash off the bolt before I leave the range. Ammonia neutralizes, dissolves, and washes out the corrosive salts deposited by corrosive primer ammo. Some folks use Windex with ammonia to do the same thing.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 01:57:05 PM »
A chrome lined, or nitrided, barrel helps.  A chrome/nitrided bolt/carrier helps.  You still don't want to leave it sit too long if you live in an area with much humidity.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.