Author Topic: CZ 75 P-06 Upgrades and Conversion Options?  (Read 324 times)

Offline Gaigebacca

CZ 75 P-06 Upgrades and Conversion Options?
« on: January 17, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
Hello all,

I have a P-06 that I am doing some customization on currently, having it recoated, upgrading the sights, and will be self-installing the CGW pro package.

I love the gun, willing and relegated to sticking to the .40, even with the lower capacity and I am planning on using it for CCW, but I would also love to be able to convert it to a 9mm option. Was there ever anyone who succeeded in doing this? Should theoretically be able to just put a P-01 slide and barrel on the frame, and be good to go, correct? But where could one get the P-01 slide and barrel?

Secondly, I see how everyone talks highly of the CGW 10x bushing, is there a similar option for the P-06 available? I know the 9mm and .40 barrel and bushings have different diameters.

I will do a full write up with pictures when I get the P-06 back and finish the upgrades.

Offline Earl Keese

Re: CZ 75 P-06 Upgrades and Conversion Options?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 03:25:33 PM »
You can have a 9mm SP01 barrel fitted for it. In addition to cutting it to the correct length, one of the lugs will have to be removed from the new barrel. The SP-01 10x bushing will work as both the 9mm and .40 barrels are the same diameter. Not sure if you could switch back and forth, the front sight would likely need to be changed as well. I would contact Stuart at CZC, they do this kind of stuff frequently.
Your other option would be buying a used slide assy, they come up here on occasion. You'd need new mags as well.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 03:28:17 PM »
Somebody had a CZ 75 Compact 9MM slide (more parts, too??) for sale here just a week or so back.  Check out the classifieds/things for sale section to see if he's still got it.  Not sure if the Compact slide will fit the P01/P06 frame though.

wait, here's a link to it

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=93638.0
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Gaigebacca

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 04:13:52 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestion, will look into them.

Seems a little frustrating that the P01/P06 are supposed to be made modular and interchangeable, in as much words straight from the sales pitch CZ themselves put up, but you can't buy just the slide, so what is the point? lol

And as far as a 10x style bushing for the P06 line, I am going to assume they do not exist?

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 05:03:08 PM »

Seems a little frustrating that the P01/P06 are supposed to be made modular and interchangeable, in as much words straight from the sales pitch CZ themselves put up, but you can't buy just the slide, so what is the point? lol

And as far as a 10x style bushing for the P06 line, I am going to assume they do not exist?
CZ has never pitched being able to swap slides or do caliber changes , and have never sold the parts that way to my knowledge. They were touting new tighter manufacturing tolerances with the SP/P01/06 models. Regarding the 10X bushing, it's in my earlier reply.

Offline Gaigebacca

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 05:23:20 PM »

CZ has never pitched being able to swap slides or do caliber changes , and have never sold the parts that way to my knowledge. They were touting new tighter manufacturing tolerances with the SP/P01/06 models. Regarding the 10X bushing, it's in my earlier reply.

I did see that, but that would also require buying a new barrel and having it modified to fit.

"These upgrades mean the components of the P-01/P-06 are completely interchangeable with every other P-01/P-06, with no individual fitting needed. This required some very careful re-design so that the reliability and accuracy were not impaired." http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01-9mm-black-alloy-14-rd-mags/

Right there on the main page for the P-01. Now maybe that is not what they intend to mean, but it seems like that is what the wording is insinuating to me. Just would be nice if replacement slides and barrels were more readily available...

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 05:29:05 PM »
Right, it says interchangeable. Nothing there about caliber conversions being available. The SP-01 10X bushing will fit your P06.

Offline Gaigebacca

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 05:40:44 PM »
Right, it says interchangeable. Nothing there about caliber conversions being available. The SP-01 10X bushing will fit your P06.

I know that, but it says all P-01/P-06 parts are interchangeable. Which makes it sound like you could easily convert between the two, which is essence you can, you just can't get the parts to do it, not readily and easily anyway...

So you are saying the SP-01 10x bushing will fit the P-06 .40 barrel and slide? Without any other modifications?

Offline ernie_h

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 06:19:32 PM »
As a big fan of the P-06, I would be remiss if I didn't suggest to just leave it alone...i.e., as a .40....Cajunize, etc., to your heart's delight, but keep it a .40. By the time you go through the effort to make it something it's currently not, you might as well have bought a P-01 (used or otherwise). Of course, it's yours to do as you wish. As for the bushing.....Earl addressed it, but give David a holler first...I received back my Copperhead P-06 from David a few weeks ago (a work of art from CGW!)...had wanted the 10X bushing...but he wasn't happy with the way it ran....so he re-installed the original bushing, which was pretty tight to begin with (and he was quite happy with). I'm assuming that all P-06's are not the same as far as that goes, but it's worth giving him a holler.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:21:18 PM by ernie_h »

Offline Gaigebacca

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 06:24:16 PM »
As a big fan of the P-06, I would be remiss if I didn't suggest to just leave it alone...i.e., as a 40....Cajunize, etc., to your heart's delight, but keep it a .40. By the time you go through the effort to make it something it's currently not, you might as well have bought a P-01 (used or otherwise). Of course, it's yours to do as you wish. As for the bushing.....Earl addressed it, but give David a holler first...I received back my Copperhead P-06 from David a few weeks ago (a work of art from CGW!)...had wanted the 10X bushing...but he wasn't happy with the way it ran....so he re-installed the original bushing, which was pretty tight to begin with (and he was quite happy with). I'm assuming that all P-06's are not the same as far as that goes, but it's worth giving him a holler.

I love the P-06, and I like .40. I don't intend to make this gun unable to fire .40, and most likely will not really get to a point of being able to fire 9mm out of it anyway. It is disassembled currently, so I cannot check it, but it seemed to have a pretty tight fit from the bushing and barrel, but again, I cannot recall perfectly, and have been reading up on all things CZ while waiting for mine to come back to me. So seeing everything about the P01 bushing upgrade just made me curious if it was an option in the future or not.

Really appreciate everyone's responses.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 06:32:29 PM »
Some guns benefit from the 10X bushing, others are good enough from the factory and don't need it. As Ernie mentioned, David or Scott at CGW will clarify if you contact them. My P-06 is probably the tightest fitting CZ I've owned. It made my P-01 feel Glock sloppy, that's why I still have the 06. Very under rated pistols IMO.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 06:32:56 PM »
Even if every part was identical, in every way, to the same parts in every other P01 don't forget the effects of wear on the parts.

Different/not enough lube, more/less rounds fired/different types of rounds, different cleaning practices/no cleaning by the owners will result in different amounts of wear on parts.  Then, if you start swapping parts between guns you will increase the rate at which those parts (and the parts that stay on each gun) wear as they are no longer fitting together the same way.

Every rebuild car engines?  There's a good reason you ID some parts and put them back in the very same position.

I bought a 9MM P07 "upper" for my .40 S&W pistol.  I also bought a new/dedicated slide release so that my 9MM slide release wears into my 9MM barrel and my .40 S&W slide release stays with/wears in only with the .40 S&W barrel. 

Good luck.  Hope you get good news on the slide question.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline DaveVLam

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 11:30:28 PM »
I have a P06 and my PCR complete slide fits fine. I also have an unfired 99021 but with the different frame of the 99021 if the compact 40 style had the same size slide as the P06 I think it would be more comfortable to shoot. Also just commented on this on another post. My 99021 slide is very tight and the P06 also very tight and that has the CGW Pro package. From what I've been seeing going over things for close to a year and half the 10x bushing only improves if your bushing is worn or large. If you have a tight bushing some people have said it made almost no difference. My P06 and PCR for now are fine.

anything