Author Topic: White Nitride on a Shadow 2?  (Read 778 times)

Offline sdlrodeo

White Nitride on a Shadow 2?
« on: January 12, 2018, 05:03:12 PM »
So I saw some FDE P07/09 with a White Nitride slide. Anybody know if the same treatment or White Nitride all over is available on the S2?

Thanks!
Steve

Offline Mifune326

Re: White Nitride on a Shadow 2?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 02:51:17 PM »
Really?!   I’ve never seen a White Nitride P-09.  Was that a limited production thing?  I think that would look pretty nice on that gun.  Where did you see it and how long ago Steve?

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 03:08:46 PM »
https://goo.gl/images/Z96hdV

I personally don’t really care for it on an FDE frame but that could just be the lighting on the picture.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »
https://goo.gl/images/Z96hdV

I personally don’t really care for it on an FDE frame but that could just be the lighting on the picture.
That's a P10, the white nitride is new this year. In the catalog but not in stock as of a couple weeks ago when mine shipped.

Offline Mifune326

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 04:09:59 PM »
OK, I misunderstood.  Steve stated on his first post that he had seen white nitride P07/P09s.  Did you mean P-10s Steve?

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 05:17:50 PM »
OK, I misunderstood.  Steve stated on his first post that he had seen white nitride P07/P09s.  Did you mean P-10s Steve?
His attached link was of a P10-C. Shadow 2's aren't listed in this year's catalog with the white nitride.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 08:21:24 PM »
Does anyone know what this white nitride is?
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline copemech

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 12:57:47 AM »

Racist---- like everything else nowadays I guess, but I like it! been waiting for a fde and that works for me O0
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:00:32 AM by copemech »

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 01:08:07 AM »

Racist---- like everything else nowadays I guess, but I like it! been waiting for a fde and that works for me O0
Ha, just another micro aggression.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline wyoung

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 02:01:14 AM »
It's the first couple of steps in salt bath nitride case hardening also known as QPQ or Quench, Polish, Quench. The first bath (Q) in molten salt leaves the steel bright silver (not sure why they call it white) and the steel is then polished (P). Many automotive and other machine parts are case hardened this way.

This adds strength, wear resistance, and lubricity to the part.

When you see gun parts or other machine parts that are black nitride, it's because they've been dipped in another molten salt bath, rinsed, then oil quenched (Q) which produces the black layer. This is how the black barrel and slide, for example, are created.

The last step adds additional corrosion resistance. Though I wouldn't worry about corrosion on the silver slide. HK made USPs with the bright silver slide for many years and they were popular.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 02:26:12 AM by wyoung »

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 02:53:58 AM »
I thought I saw a p07/09 with the same treatment but when I googled “white nitride CZ” that is all that came up. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thanks Wyoung for that detailed explanation.

How hard is it to order a specific finish on a gun from the factory? At first blush it seems it would be easier (maybe not cheaper) to just get an S2 and refinish it stateside but I’ve never explored or researched options.

Offline wyoung

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 03:14:39 AM »
There are a few places that will black nitride treat/finish small parts for you. It would stand to reason they could also white nitride parts as well but I've never seen it offered.

Offline wyoung

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 03:17:24 AM »
Actually, I remembered there are quite a few places doing slide milling for RMRs and slide cuts. They usually send those slides off to be black nitrided again I believe. They could probably give you more info.

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 03:35:05 AM »
I’ll have to do some research. Thanks!

Offline HST

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 08:16:34 AM »
You could ask Primary Machine if they could get it done. They just did the optic milling and black nitride coating on my P 10.
I know they send them out for the nitride so maybe they could ask the coating company they use.
P 10
75 B SAO
Browning Hi Power
G 43
Colt 1911 70 series