Author Topic: Thinking of Modifying a Seating Die  (Read 2164 times)

Offline nicky

Thinking of Modifying a Seating Die
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:52:31 AM »
I have been thinking about this for a while. The Dillon seating die seats off of the nose of the bullet and I would like to have the stem to contact the lower part on the bullet.

I finally took some measurements last night of the flat side of the seating stem used for 45ACP SWC. There is about 1/4"of material between were the bullet gets seated from to the other end where the holding pin goes. I am thinking of using either a 19/64" or a 9/32" bit ( whichever I have) and drill down 1/8". If I calculated correctly I would be seating just shy of the middle of the bullet.

I need to see If I can get a replacement insert from Dillon if this dosen't work out.

I would also like to know how dumb of an idea this is.

Offline dave33

Re: Thinking of Modifying a Seating Die
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 10:09:17 AM »
Nothing dumb about a custom seating die, but I might consider a different direction if I were you.  Lee will make you a custom seating die insert for about $8 I think, just send them a couple bullets.  That would mean you would have to run a Lee die on your Dillon, but you would have exactly what you want and real cheap to boot.  Lots of guys I know run all Lee dies on Dillon presses.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 10:12:47 AM »
I need to see If I can get a replacement insert from Dillon if this doesn't work out.

That's a really dumb idea !

You should simply enclose a 45 bullet with your 38 Spcl anvil and I'll make you one and send it back with the modified 38 piece. That way you'll have what you need and still retain your stock Dillon piece.

;D
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline William_Broadus

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 11:50:55 AM »
Redding makes great competion seating dies.  Take a look.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline nicky

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 03:21:26 PM »
That's a really dumb idea !

You should simply enclose a 45 bullet with your 38 Spcl anvil and I'll make you one and send it back with the modified 38 piece. That way you'll have what you need and still retain your stock Dillon piece.

And take all the fun out of it. ;D

[Mods repaired quote]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:58:39 PM by Wobbly »

Offline oteroman

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »
There is a guy in the Dillon Blue Press that sells an insert for 9 40 and 45 to do just what you describe.  I just threw my copy away. Like $18 I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline oteroman

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 11:24:06 PM »
Uniquetek.com
SKU   T1561
Price   $14.95

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline nicky

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 05:40:56 AM »
I know of a few places that I could buy one from but this doesn't seem too difficult to do for a SWC. Profiles are fairly similar. The only difference I can see using different bullets would be where the die would push on the bullet. So I kind of think that this modified seating stem would be kind of universal for the SWC.

Now with other bullets a custom stem for each style may be in order.

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 11:30:04 AM »
You can always use the epoxy, or hot glue gun method to modify your seating die.  I've done a couple that way and it's worked well.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 01:53:16 PM »

um...  ;)   Pretty sure you already have it what you're looking for.  ;)

Nicky, I'm pretty sure Dillon seating dies have a reversible anvil.  Try pulling the anvil out.  It should be hollow/concave on the opposite side.  Flip it over, put the die back together, and then you'll have a seating die that seats off the ogive.  ;)

Offline nicky

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 08:52:25 PM »
I wouldn't think that the seating die insert on a 650 is any different then on a 550, but I don't know. The seating die insert on my 550 will seat on the nose using either end. At least seating 45ACP SWC.

I personally do not have a problem seating off the nose. I am just looking to try something different and see how my rounds work out.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 09:09:31 PM »
I'm talking about the seating die.  Dillon doesn't sell different dies for the 550 and 650.

The seating die insert on my 550 will seat on the nose using either end. At least seating 45ACP SWC.

Is one side flat and one hollow?  But the hollow side still hits the nose and doesn't get onto the cone at all?  OR is neither side hollow?

I use a Redding Pro seating die (their standard set doesn't have a concave anvil), and it makes it past the nose and seats on the cone.  You can see the ring from it on the .45 SWC in the pic below.  Ignore the statement about day 1 troubles.  It's relevant to another thread.

So is the anvil not concave on one end?  And are we talking the same language?  You know what I mean by anvil?  ;)

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 09:30:01 PM »

The 3 brassy looking pieces are what we call "anvils". Each has an end to fit RN and the other end fits SWC. Pictured above are the Dillon anvils for 45ACP, 38/357M, and 9mm. Each is the same, they vary only in diameter of the bullet they seat.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:31:51 PM by Wobbly »

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 09:33:47 PM »

um...  ;)   Pretty sure you already have it what you're looking for.  ;)

Nicky, I'm pretty sure Dillon seating dies have a reversible anvil.  Try pulling the anvil out.  It should be hollow/concave on the opposite side.  Flip it over, put the die back together, and then you'll have a seating die that seats off the ogive.  ;)

I think Nicky wants to seat off the shoulder, and not the meplat.

Offline nicky

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 07:11:28 AM »
Sorry for any confusion. As per ID's photo above I am looking to seat off what he refers to as the cone of the bullet. About where the ring on those bullets are is about where I am thinking of seating from.