Author Topic: Good alternative for dry-fire  (Read 22741 times)

Offline Rcher

Good alternative for dry-fire
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:58:39 PM »
Airsoft SP-01 Shadow seems to be a good alternative for dry-fire. Does anybody have it? I read in one review that it is full metal and has silver trigger (wow!!!)

Check this video:

Offline Grizzlie

Re: Good alternative for dry-fire
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 06:31:06 PM »
I've had a chance to use an ASG p09, officially licensed one. Wow and Fantastic! Aitsoft is a great tool for practice and especially if you can get a partner to practice with (shoot at). Just remember the safety glasses!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

'...if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence'

Offline Touji

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 06:48:17 PM »
How was the double action / single action on the P-09 that you tried? I'm always most curious as to how it feels shooting in DA vs SA with the airsoft models.

Offline Rcher

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 04:51:29 AM »
I've had a chance to use an ASG p09, officially licensed one. Wow and Fantastic! Aitsoft is a great tool for practice and especially if you can get a partner to practice with (shoot at). Just remember the safety glasses!

My airsoft experience is limited. I used to shoot air guns with metal pellets, but never had airsoft pistol until recent time. I purchased airsoft replica of Beretta M9 (KJW M9) to practice indoors and to introduce gun to my teenage son. We do target shooting at home. It is surprisingly accurate on 6-12 yards(I shoot .22lr pistols even worse). And yes, all my family members are wearing safety glasses when we shoot :)

I'm wondering if ASG SP-01 is accurate too. I was thinking about getting real SP-01, but it is too expensive for me. But airsoft replica is only $120-130.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 08:09:35 AM »
I just got the ASG CZ P-09 for pellets/BB's and was looking forward to introducing family members to the sport. Licensed by CZ so it's surprisingly identical. I ordered FDE with black slide. Cool.

Thought I could shoot with pellets at my local range, and they said NO. Something about bouncing off their backstop??

I live in central FL. Where CAN you shoot these with pellets??
Is there a target backstop that can be used safely in an urban area??
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Grizzlie

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 04:54:46 PM »
How was the double action / single action on the P-09 that you tried? I'm always most curious as to how it feels shooting in DA vs SA with the airsoft models.
It felt like it was built with quality, and the blowback was nice. Obviously no where near the real thing, but it's something you can't really mimic. Highly recommend it for training

Offline Grizzlie

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 04:57:52 PM »
I just got the ASG CZ P-09 for pellets/BB's and was looking forward to introducing family members to the sport. Licensed by CZ so it's surprisingly identical. I ordered FDE with black slide. Cool.

Thought I could shoot with pellets at my local range, and they said NO. Something about bouncing off their backstop??

I live in central FL. Where CAN you shoot these with pellets??
Is there a target backstop that can be used safely in an urban area??
Lead pellets? Or the truly round metal BBs?
Aren't you able to simply shoot anywhere (ie woods) with those types of 'guns'?

A pellet/bb catch with an OSB back stop would work. Or a hanging carpet.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 05:07:13 PM »
IMO it isn't a substitute. Have the $100 version of SP01 SHADOW. Feels and looks like the real thing EXCEPT way too light for feeling anything like shooting my real one. HOWEVER it is close enough to have fun with and get the draw, safety etc. I use the airsoft mini paintballs and a block wall. At 10 yards its great and accurate. Beyond that accuracy drops off fast.

Overall yes i would recommend it. Also have laser shells and electronic targets that help more but nowhere near the price. Some great software that works with lazers, camera and your tv. Can do steel shoots etc set up wise. It's on my home computer and I'm not there so i can't tell you the name etc at this time. Maybe someone else can chime in here.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Grizzlie

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 05:20:09 PM »
Just to add to the list: with an airsoft version of your gun you can practice
Draw (and especially from concealment)
Site alignment
Grip positioning
Reloading
Movement (think moving around obstacles while shooting)
PvP shooting (Suarez drills or simply duels [especially fun if you find an abandoned building and train with a friend]).

Offline Vinny

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 05:21:11 PM »
Grizzlie,
Although FL is generally a very gun-friendly state; FL recently passed legislation that includes airguns in laws that limit where you can shoot a firearm. If I'm reading the law correctly, there must be a significant distance away from a dwelling or potential harm. I believe similar or even more restrictive laws exist in other states. Yes?

Especially considering it LOOKS exactly like a CZ P-09 and is considered a weapon; I would also think that great care must be exercised to follow laws governing proper encasement, concealment and transportation and preventing minors from getting their hands on it.

I have a CCW permit and don't want ANY problems; that's why I'm asking.

For sure, if LEO responds to a complaint; because it looks identical they're going to assume it's a firearm.
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Grizzlie

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 05:32:44 PM »
Grizzlie,
Although FL is generally a very gun-friendly state; FL recently passed legislation that includes airguns in laws that limit where you can shoot a firearm. If I'm reading the law correctly, there must be a significant distance away from a dwelling or potential harm. I believe similar or even more restrictive laws exist in other states. Yes?

Especially considering it LOOKS exactly like a CZ P-09 and is considered a weapon; I would also think that great care must be exercised to follow laws governing proper encasement, concealment and transportation and preventing minors from getting their hands on it.

I have a CCW permit and don't want ANY problems; that's why I'm asking.

For sure, if LEO responds to a complaint; because it looks identical they're going to assume it's a firearm.
My part of the world equates anything (in terms of gun) under 17 joules as a toy. We're allowed to shoot bb guns and airsoft  freely in the woods. I guess in this regard I'm spoiled. :D

I guess basement is out of the question?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:34:17 PM by Grizzlie »

Offline Vinny

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 07:08:00 PM »
A basement or garage range is a good suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't have a basement, and my garage isn't as deep as I'd like but it's better than nothing. 

Thought I'd include a partial excerpt from our local laws here in FL which clearly includes airguns with firearms in terms of safe discharge. Other States, counties or local areas may have similar or more restrictive laws:

"No person shall discharge a firearm or air gun within the incorporated area of the city, over, around, through or so near the occupied structures, livestock, pets, chattels or person of another, that might reasonably be expected to do harm, should such persons or objects be struck by any projectiles fired from such firearms or air guns. It is not a requirement of this article that any person or object be struck by a projectile in order for there to be a finding by law enforcement officials or the courts that this section has been violated.

Should any such discharge of a firearm or air gun take place within 150 yards of the occupied structure of another, it shall be prime facie evidence that the persons or person discharging knew that the structure existed and that it was occupied."

YMMV but I would check your local laws and err on the side of caution. I guess a basement or garage range properly set up with a collecting backstop is 'out of sight - out of mind' for neighborly complaints.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:12:06 PM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 11:12:09 AM »
Those laws don't usually include airsoft or any other that have the orange barrel tip showing it is a toy. BB and pellet guns don't have the orange tip.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Vinny

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 12:16:12 PM »
Those laws don't usually include airsoft or any other that have the orange barrel tip showing it is a toy. BB and pellet guns don't have the orange tip.

You may be correct about the orange tip; however the OP shows an 'Airsoft' CZ SP-01 and I can't see any orange tip. Can You??

I guess the solution for me here in FL is to use my garage or find a friend with enough land that there's no-one in sight, and nothing close to being in harm's way.
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Rcher

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 02:20:30 AM »

You may be correct about the orange tip; however the OP shows an 'Airsoft' CZ SP-01 and I can't see any orange tip. Can You??

I guess the solution for me here in FL is to use my garage or find a friend with enough land that there's no-one in sight, and nothing close to being in harm's way.

As far as I understand, laws in US require all air-soft guns and pistols to have orange cap. But, in Canada and European countries it is not required. So, if I see airsoft review and gun is without orange cap, probably reviewer lives outside of US.