Author Topic: Lightest mainspring for Kadet kit  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Ruber

Lightest mainspring for Kadet kit
« on: January 16, 2018, 05:10:05 PM »
Ok, wanna have my cake and eat it too.

I have an SP01 with CGW short reset kit, extended FP, and 13 lb mainspring.  My Kadet Kit is 100% reliable on my factory 75B, but gives light strikes on my SP01 about one-two  rounds per mag.

CGW says 15# max for their extended fp.  Anyone running a 15# spring with success for their kadet?

Offline ace73

Re: Lightest mainspring for Kadet kit
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 04:17:40 PM »
I was in the same boat. Now I use a main spring plug with the lanyard loop to make it easier to swap out springs....only takes a couple of minutes! Remove grips, push down on the loop, pop out the
Pin , change spring and reinstall!

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0420031002_Main-Spring-Plug-Wlanyard-Loop

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 07:16:11 PM »
CGW says 15# max for their extended fp.  Anyone running a 15# spring with success for their kadet?
15lb main spring and lighter FP spring on the Kadet should do it.

Offline ace73

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 08:06:49 PM »
But your not running an extended firing pin in your Kadet......
So you can change to a spring that will work.
I switch my 13# spring (used with my 9mm slide) to a 17# for running my Kadet.

Offline Ruber

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 08:48:51 PM »
Cool, thanks, that?s what I was hoping!

After posting I saw a couple other threads on the subject, thanks all for offering insight here as well.

I?d like to be able to swap tops without using tools.  I?d rather go back to an original FP and mainspring in 9mm than have to pull the grips each time I go from 9mm to 22.  At that point, I?d probably rather have a dedicated 22 with me as well.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:50:31 PM by Ruber »

Offline redlightrich

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 09:58:00 PM »
Hello, many have tried this, and it appears for 100% rimfire ignition, the 17# spring is as low as most can go without other mods as well.
For me ( I have 3 kits) even going to a 16#MS will cause some FTF, especially if the chamber starts getting dirty. 17# keeps it running.
To drop below 17#, you may need a weaker FP spring, but then the rear plate ( FP retainer) can become an issue, or you can try to reshape the firing pin itself.
For me, the 17# was the safest compromise.

Good luck

Rich

Offline 75Plus

• +12
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 05:31:11 PM »
I was in the same boat. Now I use a main spring plug with the lanyard loop to make it easier to swap out springs....only takes a couple of minutes! Remove grips, push down on the loop, pop out the
Pin , change spring and reinstall!

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0420031002_Main-Spring-Plug-Wlanyard-Loop

How are you handling the mag brake when making the changeover? With the mag brake out of the picture and you are only removing the grips in order to get the HS plug pin out there is another solution. The plug pin for the P-07/09 is the same size as the 75B but the center diameter is reduced so the plug holds it in place. Just like the CGW trigger pin. If you drill the grips so the pin can be removed it will not be necessary to remove them. The P-07/09 pin will need to be shortened slightly. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Joe
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.”
George Washington

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Offline Ruber

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 09:38:30 PM »
Yep, that did the trick!

The stock FP spring is a monster, probably the strongest I?ve seen in any gun.

Thanks!!