Author Topic: Anybody cut down a 16" barrel  (Read 4523 times)

Offline TURRICAN

Anybody cut down a 16" barrel
« on: January 17, 2018, 08:50:00 PM »
It doesn't seem like CZ will have the 14" barrel in stock any time soon so I'm planning on sending mine out to be cut down to 14.5" and doing a pin and weld to non NFA length.
I was planning on buying the regulator for the 14" barrel but do I need to open up the gas port.
THanks in advance for any advise.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: Anybody cut down a 16" barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:05:47 AM »
AR guys do it all the time, to use real M4 barrels. The option is to remove the flash hider later if the owner wants to SBR the rifle. Just for ME, I'd rather keep that extra inch and a half of rifled barrel, but that's the wonderful thing about America, diversity of choice. Post pics when you're done, please.

Offline TURRICAN

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 03:23:35 PM »
You're going to cut a 16 inch barrel, recrown and rethread, and install a 1.5" flash hider back on and pin and weld, just to get back to 16 inches again?

Been around guns much?

To me I much prefer the look of the military length barrel over the 16" civilian legal barrel.
Right now the barrel is actually 17.5" to the end of the muzzle break. Mine will finish out at 16" to the end of flash hider or muzzle break. To make it a legal 16" barrel it must be permanently attached.

Offline TURRICAN

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »
Done. Looks better I think. For some reason that barrel looks out of place on the US  carbines.

Offline czphan35

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 07:16:06 AM »
Done. Looks better I think. For some reason that barrel looks out of place on the US  carbines.

Looks nice - who did your work? Would you recommend them to others?
CZ 805 Bren S1 Carbine | CZ 75 Compact

Offline WaltherP99

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 09:49:19 AM »

oooooooooo...that looks niceeeee!  8)

Offline Laughing Snake

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 12:14:09 PM »

Please keep helping me decide how to separate myself from my money.

Offline thehun

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 07:23:54 PM »
If I keep my BREN...I'll be doing a 13.7" cut with BE Meyer Flash Hider.

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »
I'm going to buy a CZ 805 Bren S1 11" barrel assembly (Product Number: 370223006561) from CZ and have my very excellent gunsmith permanently attach my Gemtech Trek suppressor which will then exceed the 16" minimum requirement for a barrel.  Once the suppressor is permanently attached (welded) onto my barrel, it is my understanding from ATF that my entire barrel becomes an NFA item.  Doing this, of course, presupposes I am going to be fully compliant with all laws, regardless of their antiquity and/or stupidity.  8)

GS
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:30:45 PM by GeneticallySwiss »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader -

Offline lou.gonzalez

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 11:41:05 AM »

I couldn?t make my mind up, so I got the pistol and the long gun. I ended up buying the thread adapter to 1/2x28 but I don?t like the yard sale look at the end of the barrel. It looks too busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DirtDiver31

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »
It doesn't seem like CZ will have the 14" barrel in stock any time soon so I'm planning on sending mine out to be cut down to 14.5" and doing a pin and weld to non NFA length.
I was planning on buying the regulator for the 14" barrel but do I need to open up the gas port.
THanks in advance for any advise.

So what did you end up doing @TURRICAN, did you go with the 14" Gas Tube? 

anything