Author Topic: Time to actually reload something.  (Read 628 times)

Offline schnellschnell

Re: Time to actually reload something.
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 11:28:32 AM »
Update. Everything worked in my Shadow 2, no failures. From the listed minimum load up to the max. While my personal performance leaves some room for improvement I did see some better results with 2 groups right in the middle of the range. The max and near max loads were a lot of bang, wish I had a chrono available to me, but budget doesn't allow right now.

Next time I'll make more of the seemingly better grouped loads and try them in my PCC. Plunk test was fine but haven't shot them.

Upped my confidence in reloading. I inspected each primer seating, each OAL etc. so it was time consuming. There were no problems except seating when no other cases were in the press, which gave a slight decrease in size. At least that is what I suspect as the cause.

Plans now are to NOT buy any other powders / bullets for a bit. Get good at this set up, which is all written in my log book. I asked my teenage son (and shooting partner) to let me learn this first. Now I will have him help out!

Big thank you to everyone here. Now I need to work on my shooting skillz.

j

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 04:03:53 PM »
I can't recall ever finding that the highest velocity load was the most accurate.  Usually 150 to 200 fps slower (in a rifle anyway).  But none of my pistol loads are max loads either.

No use in buying several powders, yet.  Get what you have working, then, one at a time, work through others as you have the time to actually repeat what you just did.  It's never a bad thing to have known good loads (reliable and accurate) with more than one powder or one bullet.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 04:12:46 AM »
Next time I'll make more of the seemingly better grouped loads and try them in my PCC. Plunk test was fine but haven't shot them.

Congrats !!  Feels good, doesn't it !

If you were incrementing your loads at 0.2 or 0.3gr, now that you know "where to look" you might go back and fill in. There might be something there for you.

In other words, if you shot 4.2gr and 4.4gr last time, then you might go back with 20 each of 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4gr and just see. You can load a greater volume, becasue you now know that none have to be dis-assembled. And as you make the 20, you can now use the powder measure and don't need to weigh each load.

Another thing... if your son has his own gun and it's not identical to yours, then you may need 2 different loads.

It will go much faster with 2 people, and you'll enjoy the father/son bonding time.

;)
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline redbaron

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 10:00:45 AM »
It's been my experience that this early stage is the most time consuming and frustrating, but once you find that load that works you forget about all of that and are so proud of yourself you'd do it all again in a heartbeat. And like others have mentioned, now that you're zeroing in on a good load soon you'll be able to start cranking out as much ammo as you need without all the fuss of this experimental stage

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 10:11:50 AM »

Using the same loads in my Scorpion Carbine that i do in my P10C yields 1227fps vs 1086fps. I was hoping to find a common load, but I don't think it's feasible. Too much dot bounce using the pistol load in the carbine.

[Mods repaired quote]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:37:03 AM by Wobbly »