Author Topic: thread protector heads up  (Read 6521 times)

Offline windyhillcz

thread protector heads up
« on: January 18, 2018, 05:34:26 PM »
From one day to the next my scorpion pistol with sbt brace started shooting all over the place. First thought my red dot had gone crazy but after trying the iron sights I inew it wasnt a sighting issue. took everything apart and found that the thread protector was loose inside the compensator and must have been affecting bullet path. tightened it up and everything was fine. Just passing this along to encourage everyone to check their thread protector tightness. Blue Loctite maybe?

Offline AngelDeVille

Re: thread protector heads up
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 05:43:34 PM »
O ring is better than Loctite.

I only had the rubber ones on hand, so I don't know if they will melt, but the protector didn't move after the last match.

I'll pull them off after a few matches to check the condition of them.

There are O-ring types that are heat resistant.
I got a .32 gun in my pocket for fun...

WWJMBD
Sent from the panic room, via two tin cans attached with a string, and a jail broken Atari 2600, while wearing a Tin Foil hat.

Offline Asylum9

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 03:02:19 AM »
I've been using a green fuel injector o-ring from an Acura injector on my pistol with 1/2x28 threads. Fits tight but works with out an issue. The auto parts store should have a box of high temp rings to choose from.
ApIII%

Offline windyhillcz

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »
thanks for the o ring suggestions. Ill give them a try

Offline Siopao

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 03:46:42 PM »
Don't use blue loctite on those threads due to heat.  If you want to put any type of thread locker, go with Rocksett.

Or you can go the O-ring method if you feel that you will be making use of those threads often.

Offline rcbif

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 04:58:56 PM »
Yep, I believe it was a fellow on here that had to cut off his flash hider because a round hit the thread hider and made a big cluster F in there jamming it all up.

Offline Destructo6

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 09:42:09 AM »
I just took the thread protector off completely after finding it loose after every outing.

The muzzle threads are pretty well protected by the flash hider. I'll just clean them off well when I need to mount something.

Offline AngelDeVille

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 01:39:50 AM »
I took mine apart tonight, the rubber o ring looked flawless.
I got a .32 gun in my pocket for fun...

WWJMBD
Sent from the panic room, via two tin cans attached with a string, and a jail broken Atari 2600, while wearing a Tin Foil hat.

Offline watchluvr4ever

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 08:31:17 AM »
I have about 500 rounds through my Scorpion Evo and had to tighten my thread protector after each range session. I fixed the problem by removing the thread protector and installing a KAK Industry flash can. :)

Offline CZ-TCP

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 04:16:36 PM »
What size O ring?

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 06:55:23 AM »
From one day to the next my scorpion pistol with sbt brace started shooting all over the place. First thought my red dot had gone crazy but after trying the iron sights I inew it wasnt a sighting issue. took everything apart and found that the thread protector was loose inside the compensator and must have been affecting bullet path. tightened it up and everything was fine. Just passing this along to encourage everyone to check their thread protector tightness. Blue Loctite maybe?

How did you get the thread protector out of the compensator?

A buddy of mine had this issue and the thread protector is stuck inside the compensator.

Offline Wahoo9501

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 08:16:02 AM »
I just took the thread protector off completely after finding it loose after every outing.

The muzzle threads are pretty well protected by the flash hider. I'll just clean them off well when I need to mount something.
Yeah with that comp on the thread protector isn't needed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline Kr00tz

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 03:14:04 PM »
I've been using a green fuel injector o-ring from an Acura injector on my pistol with 1/2x28 threads. Fits tight but works with out an issue. The auto parts store should have a box of high temp rings to choose from.

What size O ring have you been using?

Offline tailhookscorp

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 08:09:40 AM »
thanks for the heads up!

Offline Kraftwerk

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 09:50:20 AM »
anyone use an o ring  this for a Tri-lug setup?
Got mine in a few weeks ago and just put some loctite on it and used a tool and ratchet to snug it down.  Its tighten up against the larger threads where the barrel nut would be if that helps?

anything