Author Topic: Durability of Ford's Master Blue finish?  (Read 2102 times)

Offline beanz2

Durability of Ford's Master Blue finish?
« on: February 13, 2018, 06:39:37 PM »
 I am seriously considering of retiring my old CGW SP01 as my class gun. I want to move up to a Shadow 2. While David and Scott are building me another S2, my class at Front Sight is coming up very soon.

I have a Master Blued S2 that David built me some time ago, but I am too afraid of scratching it because it is too beautiful. This class will involve probably between 300 to 500 times of drawing from the holster.   The holster I have on order is a Comp Tac, a brand new one to me which I do not know how gentle or rough it is on the gun's finish.

I also have a regular black-blue Shadow2 that David and Scott are building for me, but it may not be done in time for the class.

Has anyone been using their Master Blued gun for EDC, for classes or competition? How durable is the finish?

Offline fastlane604

Re: Durability of Ford's Master Blue finish?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 11:23:15 PM »
I can't tell you about the finish but I do have two Comp Tac holsters. I like them but I do get wear on the finish at the muzzle from drawing. One gun has the stock polycoat and the other cerakote.  Even the cerakote shows wear.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:12:24 AM »
Bluing is the prettiest gun finish bar none but it is also the weakest. Use it,shoot it,clean it and it will show wear.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »
What SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM said.

It is the least durable finish and will wear very quickly if holstered often. 

Beautiful, classy, timeless, but somewhat sensitive (sounds like an old girlfriend I had long time ago)  ;D

Offline Stuart

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 11:55:22 AM »
A good blue is best looking. it will look beautiful with holster wear. :)

Offline cdhbrad

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 12:16:38 PM »
I've not seen a pistol finished with Ford's "Master Blue" in person, but I just looked at their site and, if it were mine......it would never be put in ANY Kydex holster unless leather lined.  Garret Industries comes to mind.  Even then, it is going to show some use wear.  I have several blued 1911s, none finished to that level of polishing before blued, and I only use them in Leather holsters, most of which have a separate leather lining.

I think I would shoot one more class with the SPO1 and only take the Master Blued S2 with me to "show it off."     

Offline beanz2

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 01:09:18 PM »
A good blue is best looking. it will look beautiful with holster wear. :)

Alright, Stuart, it looks like your AccuShadow2 will get the duty :D

Offline WVsig

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 01:22:11 PM »
You would destroy that master blue if you put it in and take it out of a holster 50 times let alone 500. Pick something else for the training class IMHO.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Soren Kierkegaard
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

anything