Author Topic: Anyone here with a 9MM AR15? I'm thinking of building one.  (Read 800 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Anyone here with a 9MM AR15? I'm thinking of building one.
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2018, 08:22:19 AM »
Thanks.

Oh, CDNN has the "good" magazines on sale for $22.99.  Just ordered 4 to complement the 3 ASC mags I bought the other day.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-9mm-32rd-metalform.html?___SID=U#.WnRl16inH4Y
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »
When I built my 9mm SBR, I went with a KAW Linear Comp
https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/KVP-Linear-Compensator-p/kvp-linear-blk.htm

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »
I'd looked over some of the KAW Valley parts previously. Went ahead and ordered the pistol caliber unit.

That should be it, when I get it.  I'll probably have to take the free float tube off and clamp the barrel in the vise to hold it while I get the flash suppressor off and the comp. on.  We'll see.

Need to check the weather and try to get to the range on a decent day next week so my wife can go and do some shooting, too.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 12:52:06 PM »
When you lock your bolt back, how much room do you have in front of the bolt face and the bolt catch?  If you’re using a standard carbine buffer I suspect you may have more room than you want.  9mm specific bolts are longer than the standard AR bolt to make up the difference. 

If there is too much space you could after repeated use damage your bolt catch.  To avoid this, some people put a spacer in the bufer tube (Spikes sells one), use about $1.75 in quarters stacked up In lieu of a spacer, or switch to a 9mm specific buffer (for example Spikes ST-9X) that is longer and heavier. 

Nice build. 

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2018, 03:48:31 PM »
When you lock your bolt back, how much room do you have in front of the bolt face and the bolt catch?  If you’re using a standard carbine buffer I suspect you may have more room than you want.  9mm specific bolts are longer than the standard AR bolt to make up the difference. 

If there is too much space you could after repeated use damage your bolt catch.  To avoid this, some people put a spacer in the bufer tube (Spikes sells one), use about $1.75 in quarters stacked up In lieu of a spacer, or switch to a 9mm specific buffer (for example Spikes ST-9X) that is longer and heavier. 

Nice build.

One of the things I didn't take pictures of (the little polymer spacer, carbine recoil spring and H2 buffer).  The little spacer looks almost like the plastic pieces they used to insert in the bottom of the metal table legs to keep them from gouging/scratching floors.  That gives me between 1/8" and 1/4" space between the bolt face and the bolt catch/stop when the bolt is all the way to the rear.

Offline John A.

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2018, 04:33:18 PM »
I went a little different route with my bolt stop setup.

I recently switched to a Gen1 Tailhook stabilizer.  I like it a lot better than the blade that was on it.  Nothing against the blade, I just like the tail hook better on that gun.

I didn't like the current pistol tubes on the market because they're all really short.  Plus, the tailhook needed a slightly larger than commercial diameter tube.

So, I dug out an ancient assault weapon ban compliant stock that looks like a collapsible M4 stock, but was pinned/fixed. 

The old AWB tube was larger diameter so a regular M4 stock wouldn't go onto it.  It didn't have the "stop holes" milled in the tube, and was longer than the current pistol tube offerings, so it worked well for me.  This should pass any kind of legal questions that could arise. It certainly won't accept AR15 stocks ;)

In order to modify it to work with the tailhook, I put the tube on my lathe, squared up the rear of the tube and removed a little of the length so it would be shorter than the magical and arbitrary 13.5" length of pull the ATF says they don't want pistols to have and milled away the ribbed section for clearance for the tailhook to slide in place.

Since the tube is longer than the current pistol tubes on the market, I used a rifle buffer spring and I made a spacer out of a piece of oak dowel rod to limit the travel of the buffer.

When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2018, 06:58:00 PM »
Always ways to get by when you need them.  You just need to be open minded and willing to work on it.

When I was working at getting things right on the GII when I put that fixed (A1) stock on it I used to buffers.  One on each end of the spring and sanded some off the rear buffers bumper to get the right amount of travel.  It worked fine. 

The final fix was to shorten a regular rifle buffer to the correct length and then drill a new hole in the buffer for the pin that hold the bumper in.  Works like a charm.

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »

Nice build.

One of the things I didn't take pictures of (the little polymer spacer, carbine recoil spring and H2 buffer).  The little spacer looks almost like the plastic pieces they used to insert in the bottom of the metal table legs to keep them from gouging/scratching floors.  That gives me between 1/8" and 1/4" space between the bolt face and the bolt catch/stop when the bolt is all the way to the rear.

In that case you’re probably going to be OK.  I’ve got about 1/8” of space on mine and no issues with the bolt catch after 5K-ish rounds. 

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 06:31:51 PM »
Well, the sling attachment pieces, the KAK flash can and the four metalform magazines came in today.

Pulled the upper and lower apart, got the buffer/spring/spacer out of the tube and started to unscrew the buffer and shot the detent and spring that hold the buffer/spring in the tube across the kitchen (you'd think I'd know better by now).  Found them (had to move a table in the mud room to find the detent, spring was on the rug on the other side of the table, wife didn't hear me cussing.)

Got the tube out, put the sling attachment ring on the tube and installed it.  Got the castle nut locked down (no loctite or dimpling, yet) and reinstalled the buffer/spring/spacer.  Put the lower back together and tried to pull the charging handle to the rear and it would only move about 1/2".  For a bit I thought it was the detent sticking up just a tad to far since I twisted the blade out just a tad before locking the castle nut down.  Finally figured out the charging handle was hitting the sling attachment ring.  Checked all three of the ones I orders and all three are too large in outside diameter to clear the charging handle.  Got out the stone and started removing metal (should have gone to the garage to use the hobby belt sander but didn't want to disturb the dogs an hour before their afternoon walk/doggy treat time).  Got it down enough to clear the charging handle and then used to Brownell's cold bluing stuff to blacken the metal again.  Looks great, very black looking.

Reinstalled everything, locked the castle nut back down, reinstalled the detent, spring, buffer, spring and spacer and put the upper and lower back together.  Works great again.  I hate it when those little thing get in the way.

Took the free float tube off and then I found I had to remove the handstop and the flashlight rail to get the tube off over the flash suppressor.  Took the upper to the garage (yup, let the dogs out, petted them a bit, till the big guy came back out from under the pine trees with cat crap breath and then put them in the pen with a big doggy buscuit).  I got out the barrel vise blocks, clamped them and the upper in the bench vise and used a 19 mm wrench (think it was the 19) to get the flash suppressor off.  Came off pretty easy.  Then I installed the KAK flash can and got everything out of the vise. 

Came back inside and reinstalled the free float tube before putting the hand stop and flashlight rail back on the tube.

Ready for the range......