Author Topic: Gun Scrubber (safe for synthetics)/Ballistol Ok for steel pistols?  (Read 1997 times)

Offline boss281

I've used both solvents for my AR rifles for as long as I can remember.  I've field stripped  and cleaned my P-01 and SP-01 Tactical by hand many times using CLP and brushes, but want to do a deeper clean in the frame for the trigger/hammer areas and spray in a solvent like I do for the ARs.  Other than the grips, which I'll remove first, I'm not seeing anything in the diagrams that might be harmed by either solvent, but thought I'd ask before doing so.  The Search Engine wasn't turning up anything informative within the last 5 years...

Thanks.
Scorpion Evo S1 Carbine and Pistol, 75BD, SP-01 Tactical CGW Pro Kit, P-01 CGW Defensive Carry Kit, P-07, P-09

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Gun Scrubber (safe for synthetics)/Ballistol Ok for steel pistols?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:41:17 PM »
I would take the grips off first.  Keep them away from the aerosol stuff.  I know many of the chemicals in the gun scrubber stuff are the same as the brake cleaners and carb. cleaners.  And, from experience, I know carb cleaner will melt some plastic grips (have an old Ruger Mk1 with smeared spots in the nice checkered grips).

Wear safety glasses or goggles - you do not want any to splash back in your eyes.  Know that from experience, too.  Still have no idea how I got to the shower from the garage that day I was cleaning a carb out for a rebuild.

You may still need something like an old tooth brush to do a little scrubbing after a spray or two of cleaner.  It evaporates pretty quick, so be ready to scrub quick.

After it's clean enough to suit you, you need to get some oil/lube back on the metal surfaces or they will rust.  Just let it dry first (take maybe 5 minutes, depending on how much puddled up in the cracks/crevices inside (a heat gun or hair dryer might speed that up some, just get it warm, not hot.)  It is the only thing I use rem-oil for - spraying oil back into the cracks and crevices you can't reach with the oil bottle dropper.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Goju

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:28:12 AM »
Ballistol is safe to use, but I would not use it for that application unless you want to get rid of some you already have. I am a longtime user of the product, really wanted to like it, but find its capabilities really limited compared to any number of newer products. Why I would not choose it for this application is due to its heavy mineral oil based carrier...is going to be a lot harder to get out of the nooks and crannies. I would recomment the use of a produce like Gunzilla, or Eezox, which are much more viscous CLPs, and their carriers more readily evaporate to a dry film lube.

Offline PJCZ

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:22:14 AM »
Have done the non clorinated brake cleaner plenty of times without issue. As other have said, remove grips, put eye and hand protection and go to town. I usually dry with can of compressed air and give it a healthy dose of dry lube, Hornady One Shot to be specific. 

Offline Rcher

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »
I usually do deep cleaning with Isopropyl alcohol (99%) first and then Ballistol. Both are safe for rubber and plastic, so I never took grips off.
Never cleaned fire pin channel so far (I shot around 1200 shots), will probably use break cleaner for it.

Usually I spend 40-50 minutes on cleaning/lubricating every handgun I have. Still wondering how to save some time on cleaning :) One time I was thinking about buying ultrasonic cleaner, but was concerned about possible rust (need to get all water out and quickly lubricate). I do all guns work in a garage workshop, which unfortunately has moisture level 75-78% in fall and winter :( Here, in Seattle area it is always raining.

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »
Have done the non clorinated brake cleaner plenty of times without issue. As other have said, remove grips, put eye and hand protection and go to town. I usually dry with can of compressed air and give it a healthy dose of dry lube, Hornady One Shot to be specific.

I use gunscrubber and one shot also.

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 03:41:12 PM »
Yes, it should be safe (although I would still test it on anything plastic/polymer first)

Originally Gunscrubber was ONLY for use on metal - the polymer-safe version is an updated formulation.
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline 1down

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 12:38:39 PM »
I used some homemade Ed's Red on a surplus mil firearm.  It took the old paint off right quick.  Uncovered a great green patina park finish.  It didn't harm the plastics at all. 
I'm not going to use any cleaner that requires removing plastic before use.  YMMV

Offline GRU7_Mike

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 02:07:32 PM »
I use either or...Gun Scrubber or CRC Brakleen (green can NON Chlorinated) cleaners.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt

Offline OldGringo

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 08:28:21 PM »
I use Ballistol and have found it to be a good general purpose CLP and lubricant although there are better deep-cleaning agents and lubricants out there. The fact that it's non-toxic and good with wood and polymer is definitely a plus. I recently used it to bring some dry moldy VZ 58 leather mag pouches back to life.

The only thing to keep in mind using Ballistol as a CLP/lubricant is that it is is mildly reactive with copper, so it might cause discoloration to gold/nickle plated finishes that use copper to bind them. Of course nothing that I own or intend to own falls into that category.

Where Ballistol really shines however, is in cleaning black powder and corrosive primer mil-surp ammo. By combining mostly water (warm) with a small amount of the Balistol oil concentrate 9 -1 or 8-2 ratio you get a white solution of "moose milk". Ballistol is water soluble (basically its a non-toxic water soluble machinist oil) so you can use the water (that's what is really doing the heavy lifting) to flush your firearm and not be paranoid about surface rust.

Without Ballistol I've seen friends use the following:

1) Simple Green de-greaser and warm water to flush and cut the gunky residual lubricant and neutralize the corrosive salts.
2) Warm water to flush out the Simple Green.
3) Meticulous wiping /hair dryer/ heat gun on low/ water displacer to get rid of the water. This step often takes the longest (especially if you've got a muzzle loader).
4) Carefully re lube with oil.

As opposed to:

1) Warm moose milk to flush the salts and cut the gunky oily residue (it increases the viscosity of water so it will also cut oils).
2) Fresh moose milk (somewhat optional) to rinse.
3) Wipe down and run a patch.

Forget about it.

Because its water soluble, as the water evaporates the Ballistol remains as a fine coating. I've never seen it react badly with other oils so you can then apply your favorite gun oil if you want.

A spray bottle of moose milk is useful for cleaning if you've shot a small amount of corrosive primer ammo out of a Commie-Bloc gun. Just wet it thoroughly and wipe down.