Author Topic: Aluminum vs Steel Guide rod in my PCR  (Read 8233 times)

Offline Chicago Dude

Aluminum vs Steel Guide rod in my PCR
« on: January 31, 2018, 04:39:49 PM »
So after posting here (not long ago) about my two guide rods (SS) for my PCR and P-01, I had bunch of reply's from guys here some telling me that I should go Aluminum in my PCR because the frame is aluminum, and I may damage my gun if I run SS guide rod in it.
I found the aluminum guide rod on CZ site and ordered one. It came today, I tried installing it and guess what ? NO GO !!!

It was too thick for the original (flat) spring. I call them up and some guy at CZ told me that I need different spring for that guide rod. Great.
Now I am hunting for the spring. Looked everywhere and couldn't find it, called Wolf springs, talked to some girl, she had no clue what spring to sell me, and finally called CGW, and talked to guy named Dave there.
Explained him the situation, told him I bought one SS rod from them, and the other from CZ Customs, but I am afraid to use them because I don't want to damage my PCR.
He asked me who told you that you will damage your PCR ? I go - guys on the forum. He goes - are they gunsmiths ?
I go - I don't know, probably not. He asked me : do you really think we would sell you the gun rod that could damage your gun ?
LMAO
I go - probably not. Overall, it was pretty comical situation (at least for me), while this dude Dave was all serious and almost offended.
Long story short - I just wasted 18 bucks, and I will stick with the SS rod for my gun, which I liked better in the first place.
BTW : Dave told me this steel rod should last me 200,000 rounds. LOL

Offline BCC

Re: Aluminum vs Steel Guide rod in my PCR
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 05:51:18 PM »
Wait a minute.....you got false information on the Internet ?????  What !!!!!
Glock 19
Glock 43
Glock 43x

Offline 75Plus

• +12
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 07:08:41 PM »
So after posting here (not long ago) about my two guide rods (SS) for my PCR and P-01, I had bunch of reply's from guys here some telling me that I should go Aluminum in my PCR because the frame is aluminum, and I may damage my gun if I run SS guide rod in it.
I found the aluminum guide rod on CZ site and ordered one. It came today, I tried installing it and guess what ? NO GO !!!

It was too thick for the original (flat) spring. I call them up and some guy at CZ told me that I need different spring for that guide rod. Great.
Now I am hunting for the spring. Looked everywhere and couldn't find it, called Wolf springs, talked to some girl, she had no clue what spring to sell me, and finally called CGW, and talked to guy named Dave there.
Explained him the situation, told him I bought one SS rod from them, and the other from CZ Customs, but I am afraid to use them because I don't want to damage my PCR.
He asked me who told you that you will damage your PCR ? I go - guys on the forum. He goes - are they gunsmiths ?
I go - I don't know, probably not. He asked me : do you really think we would sell you the gun rod that could damage your gun ?
LMAO
I go - probably not. Overall, it was pretty comical situation (at least for me), while this dude Dave was all serious and almost offended.
Long story short - I just wasted 18 bucks, and I will stick with the SS rod for my gun, which I liked better in the first place. )
BTW : Dave told me this steel rod should last me 200,000 rounds. LOL

That dude Dave is the Cajun behind Cajun Gun Works!!!!!  If he tells you a rooster dips snuff you can look under its wing and you will find his snuff box!!!😂😂😂😂
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.”
George Washington

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Offline twowheels

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 07:38:59 PM »
Yah, its a funny story.  And false information, and issues completely blown out of proportion, on the internet?  Never.   

Offline eastman

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:43:35 PM »
"Just because you read it on the Internet doesn't make it true" - A. Lincoln, 16th President of the United States
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline dbarn

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 11:03:06 PM »
Have nothing but the greatest respect for Dave. And if he said it causes no damage then I would believe it.

Mine may have been the exception. I know that different pistols have minor differences in dimensions but my personal preference will be to use a plastic guide rod in this steel pistol. Also this may be be considered acceptable wear and not damage. Or it may wear to a point and then stop.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=90794.0

Offline bpnkrtn

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 06:20:15 PM »
Wait a minute.....you got false information on the Internet ?????  What !!!!!

... say it isn't so!

Offline Madmatt

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »
Saw these concerns last summer but rationalized that CZ has steel guide rods in their higher end SDPs so they couldn't be bad.  Still posed the concern to another gunsmith that specializes in CZs. He replied:

"So far we have never seen a stainless guide rod damage a frame.
Assuming that you kept the rating of the factory we maintain use of the flat recoil springs."

Two thousand rounds later through two PCRs, all is well!  Shooting 147gr JHP, 124gr NATO and 115gr +p FMJ. Perfect reliability; no evidence of excessive wear or damage of any sort!
SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colt 6721, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys  & APBTs

Photobill

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 11:39:11 PM »
Madmatt, Have you ever tried a +P+ round in your PCR yet?

Offline Madmatt

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 06:55:14 AM »
No +P+, just a steady diet of Speer 147gr JHP, Winchester 124gr NATO and Federal 115gr +P FMJ. 
SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colt 6721, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys  & APBTs

Offline Jiva

• I came for the pistols and stayed for the rifles
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 07:40:23 AM »
I've had my PCR for 7 years with the same plastic guide rod and have never had any problems. When I finally get my steel frame P-01, it will also sport a plastic guide rod.

Just my experience but wanted to share
75 P-01 Compact 99041
75 D PCR Compact
75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
612 HD
452 2E ZKM Lux .22LR
452 2E ZKM Classic .22LR
452 2E ZKM Varmint .22LR

Offline boss281

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 04:17:59 PM »
Gotta ask: what is the point of the stainless guide rod in CZ Compacts? Are the plastic ones a point if failure?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Scorpion Evo S1 Carbine and Pistol, 75BD, SP-01 Tactical CGW Pro Kit, P-01 CGW Defensive Carry Kit, P-07, P-09

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 08:37:52 PM »
Gotta ask: what is the point of the stainless guide rod in CZ Compacts? Are the plastic ones a point if failure?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nope nothing wrong with the plastic guide rod. Some of us just prefer metal.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 06:43:33 AM »
Ground Hog day again!  ;D

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 06:59:53 AM »
Ground Hog day again!  ;D
HAHA! yea it'seems threads like this have more life than the energizer bunny or the geico geko.