Author Topic: Just bought a Czechpoint VZ 58 " 762 Military"  (Read 5457 times)

Offline OldGringo

Just bought a Czechpoint VZ 58 " 762 Military"
« on: February 05, 2018, 10:30:35 PM »
I've been wanting one of these for a long time and finally "pulled the trigger on one".

They've been out of stock of the rifles for some while but they're back in.  As of the writing this post its the only rifle VZ 58 they currently have in stock.

I optioned for the left side charging handle, Czech steel trigger, and US made muzzle brake/comp.

Czechpoint confirmed that they recieved my FFL's info.

Just waiting for them to ship it. I can't wait...

Once I check function and get it zeroed.

My plans:

Installing the muzzle break.
Install a receiver slide rail with the RS Regulate mount for an Aimpoint micro.
Installing Primary Arms red dot on said mount.
Installing the ambi mag release.
Installing the bolt catch-release.

As a guy who has only owned an AR. I'm liking the ability to mount a side folding butt stock. Why? Because I can. :)

While I'll have to be counting parts there are many possibilities...

It's great to have the collective experience and wisdom of the folks here on this board.

Offline SP01bob

Re: Just bought a Czechpoint VZ 58 " 762 Military"
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 10:49:47 PM »
Me too, just won one on GB, pistol model tho. I'm kinda bummed I can't put a brace on it due to SBR rules, so I may just get that done, however you get approval.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline OldGringo

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 11:13:27 PM »
I forgot to mention that the 762 Military rifles Czechpoint currently has in stock come with bayonet lugs at no extra charge.

I don't think that a bayonet has much practical use on a rifle, but I guess I'll have to get one now.

Offline sboone

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 01:23:20 PM »
Me too, just won one on GB, pistol model tho. I'm kinda bummed I can't put a brace on it due to SBR rules, so I may just get that done, however you get approval.

What do you mean ?can?t put a brace on it due to SBR rules??  If it started life as a pistol then you should be able to put a brace on it to stabilize it and if it accidentally touches your shoulder getting a cheek weld well darn it was an accident, if it?s a rifle that?s been cut down then it?s a SBR with or without a stock and requires tax stamp anyway

Offline SP01bob

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 01:26:28 PM »

What do you mean ?can?t put a brace on it due to SBR rules??  If it started life as a pistol then you should be able to put a brace on it to stabilize it and if it accidentally touches your shoulder getting a cheek weld well darn it was an accident, if it?s a rifle that?s been cut down then it?s a SBR with or without a stock and requires tax stamp anyway

I agree, but its the info they put on the checkpoint website. I'll locate that link and edit it into this post shortly.

Edit: (Help me understand this.. please)

https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/vz58-pistol-762?l=1

"Section 922(r) is not applicable to the vz. 58 pistol model as it is a pistol and not a rifle.  The color of the finish is a matte black coating (cured at 300?F).   The new production pistol barrel is made from a high alloy Chrome Molybdenum steel (4340) and IS chrome-lined.   The muzzle nut is removeable and the thread pattern is 14x1 right hand (standard vz.58 thread pattern).

For those that receive an approved BATFE Form 1 SBR (short barreled rifle) for their vz.58, the sling swivel screw can be removed (receiver sling plate is held to the receiver by sling swivel screw).  Once the sling swivel screw and receiver sling plate is removed, any vz.58 stock can be readily attached to the vz.58 receiver.  This is a great 'do-it-yourself' Form 1 SBR.   SBR Warning: a stock can only be legally attached to this pistol after a Form 1 has been approved by BATFE.   Attaching a stock to the vz.58 pistol, without an approved Form 1, is a federal felony and conviction could result in 10 years imprisonment and a $250,000 fine."

I am not sure if the brace seen on the box pic is in included, but I sorta doubt it. I don't have it yet, will receive it next week sometime. I'm not sure if Checkpoint is only covering their base for liability issues or not.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:05:02 PM by SP01bob »

Offline sboone

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 03:32:40 PM »
A pistol brace is not a stock.  What they are sayin is ?hey if you want an SBR it doesn?t get easier than this, just unscrew the sling plate and replace with a stock after you form 1?. They actually sell pistol 58?s with a brace included, no form 1 needed.  The brace attaches the same way as a stock but it?s not a stock and per the ATF is ok if it is accidentally shouldered as such.  So get a brace and go to town bud.  I personally am getting ready to buy a gear head tailhook mod 1 and will cut a Czech folding stock and add a 1.2? tube to clamp the gear head to in order to have a folding arm brace on a 7.62? 58 pistol

Offline SP01bob

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 03:43:07 PM »
A pistol brace is not a stock.  What they are sayin is ?hey if you want an SBR it doesn?t get easier than this, just unscrew the sling plate and replace with a stock after you form 1?. They actually sell pistol 58?s with a brace included, no form 1 needed.  The brace attaches the same way as a stock but it?s not a stock and per the ATF is ok if it is accidentally shouldered as such.  So get a brace and go to town bud.  I personally am getting ready to buy a gear head tailhook mod 1 and will cut a Czech folding stock and add a 1.2? tube to clamp the gear head to in order to have a folding arm brace on a 7.62? 58 pistol

I would like to attach a brace. I hate these rules, and don't want the hassel of felon convictions out of ignorance if turned in by some pee brain at the range.

Also, I just happened to be looking at another LGS online page, they have AR pistols for sale withbraces as usual, but every AK pistol (7.62 var) was offered without a stock/brace or support of any kind.

Wonder why a brace isn't offered up front? Thanks for looking into it.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:45:57 PM by SP01bob »

Offline sboone

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 04:01:36 PM »
I never saw anything on czechpoints site in regard to mounting a brace and potential fines, only stocks of mounted before an approved form 1 in hand.

https://www.sigsauer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/atf-letter-march-21-2017.pdf

Here is a link to the ATF letter ruling on braces.  The reason you don?t see many braces on AK?s is because it?s sometimes more difficult to get a solid mounting solution and because there are many people (myself included) who think buffer tubes in general as a mounting solution on anything other than an AR style rifle is dumb and doesn?t belong, also that there are better options.

The tail hook mod 1 for example leaves a lot to the imagination in regards to how it?s mounted and per the ATF letter I linked it basically can?t be obscenely long and altered in such a way that it is only useable as a stock and not as a brace and not permanently affixed as such.  The tail hook uses a clamp so as to be easily removed and on the factory Czech stock when cut it is essentially no longer than any other brace on the market and shorter in many cases.

https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/vz-58-compact-762b?l=1

Link to braced 58 on site

Offline sboone

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 04:07:54 PM »
Because I kind of de railed the thread, congrats on the new rifle oldgringo.  I personally think the newer Czechpoints are better shooters than the old D-techniks but their finish is lacking and wears off quickly where as the D-Techniks are beautiful and durable

I like that they are coming with a bayonet lug now

The folding stocks are awesome but need to be wrapped.  They kind of beat up the face as thin bare metal isn?t very comfortable.  I also am a huge fan of the beaver bakelite stuff, I like the looks and the stock feels good and good for the irons
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:10:46 PM by sboone »

Offline OldGringo

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 07:03:03 PM »
I'm planning on getting the CNC Warrior trigger (1 US part) and seer (1 US part) along with the pins and spring.  I've already ordered the disconnector (1 US part); the trigger and seer were currently out of stock.

This would allow me to have 4 US parts (including the muzzle break) in the rifle plus the follower (1 US part) and floorplate (1 US part) in the Czechpoint re-conditioned mags. For a total of 6 US parts (the magic number being 5) to meet 922r.

Thus, I could run any furniture combo I want as long as I only use Czechpoint's re-conditioned mags or buy their US-made followers and/or floorplates separately and configure old milsurp mags myself to have at least one US part.

I've already got a beaver barf never-issued complete set from the Czech Republic (from a seller in Uhersky Brod to be exact) along with the ambi magazine catch and bolt hold/release and the ring for the front sling attachment(in case the rifle comes with the T loop). These arrived at my house yesterday so great timing. I plan on trying these on when I can get the US trigger parts installed.

I will of course have to Aluma Hyde black the exposed gray finish of the metal parts in the beaver barf set if I want it to match the satin black of the rest of the rifle though.

The folding stocks are awesome but need to be wrapped.  They kind of beat up the face as thin bare metal isn?t very comfortable.  I also am a huge fan of the beaver bakelite stuff, I like the looks and the stock feels good and good for the irons

For a more tactical approach, I might just eventually drag the rifle through the FAB Defense catalog at some later stage. I'm looking at their folding stocks (with adjustable cheek weld, buttstock, and recoil spring) instead of the classic wire. I'm also looking at their polymer grips and handguards as well. Since I'm going to be using the side-mount optic I don't really need an aluminum pic rail handguard. 

Does anybody have any experience with the FAB Defense buttstocks?

It would be nice if CNC Warrior would get around to ever re-machining some piston rods (1 US part). Then I could then run any mags I want along with any furniture and be done counting parts.

Oh, and I did just order a bayonet off ebay (beaver barf grip) with matching leather sheathe from a seller in my own state.  :)

Offline SP01bob

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 10:30:27 PM »
I never saw anything on czechpoints site in regard to mounting a brace and potential fines, only stocks of mounted before an approved form 1 in hand.

https://www.sigsauer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/atf-letter-march-21-2017.pdf

Here is a link to the ATF letter ruling on braces.  The reason you don?t see many braces on AK?s is because it?s sometimes more difficult to get a solid mounting solution and because there are many people (myself included) who think buffer tubes in general as a mounting solution on anything other than an AR style rifle is dumb and doesn?t belong, also that there are better options.

The tail hook mod 1 for example leaves a lot to the imagination in regards to how it?s mounted and per the ATF letter I linked it basically can?t be obscenely long and altered in such a way that it is only useable as a stock and not as a brace and not permanently affixed as such.  The tail hook uses a clamp so as to be easily removed and on the factory Czech stock when cut it is essentially no longer than any other brace on the market and shorter in many cases.

https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/vz-58-compact-762b?l=1

Link to braced 58 on site

Man I appreciate it. Thanks!!

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 10:34:06 PM »

This would allow me to have 4 US parts (including the muzzle break) in the rifle plus the follower (1 US part) and floorplate (1 US part) in the Czechpoint re-conditioned mags. For a total of 6 US parts (the magic number being 5) to meet 922r.

It's been a few years since I contemplated the 922r for VZ58's, but I think the magic number is 6, not 5.  Most sources seem to be wrong as they fail to consider the striker as a hammer -- the BATF likely considers the striker (aka "linear hammer") as a hammer.

I believe the criteria is no more than 10 foreign parts from "the list" of 20.  Most online 922r sources state that the VZ58 has only 15 of those 20 present, therefore "5" (15 - 10 = 5) being the magic number.  But those sources omit the linear hammer.  Here's a thread that address that:

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/66-czechoslovakian/39342-vz58-922r-parts-count.html

Regardless, you have 6 US-made parts, so you'll be fine.  I just wanted to bring it up in case you considered adding another foreign part in the future thinking you had a one-part leeway.  Interestingly, Czechpoint's website adheres to the "5 parts" belief.  I would assume that an importer/manufacturer/dealer would have done the research and know what they're talking about, but there is some ambiguity in the matter.  Czechpoint could be completely wrong.  I could be completely wrong.  It's best to research it to your own satisfaction. 

Online MeatAxe

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 12:43:30 AM »

It's been a few years since I contemplated the 922r for VZ58's, but I think the magic number is 6, not 5.  Most sources seem to be wrong as they fail to consider the striker as a hammer -- the BATF likely considers the striker (aka "linear hammer") as a hammer.

I believe the criteria is no more than 10 foreign parts from "the list" of 20.  Most online 922r sources state that the VZ58 has only 15 of those 20 present, therefore "5" (15 - 10 = 5) being the magic number.  But those sources omit the linear hammer.  Here's a thread that address that:

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/66-czechoslovakian/39342-vz58-922r-parts-count.html

Regardless, you have 6 US-made parts, so you'll be fine.  I just wanted to bring it up in case you considered adding another foreign part in the future thinking you had a one-part leeway.  Interestingly, Czechpoint's website adheres to the "5 parts" belief.  I would assume that an importer/manufacturer/dealer would have done the research and know what they're talking about, but there is some ambiguity in the matter.  Czechpoint could be completely wrong.  I could be completely wrong.  It's best to research it to your own satisfaction.

The "easy" US rifle parts to find to comply with 922r would be:

1. Muzzle device

2. hand guard

3. Pistol grip

4. butt stock

Of course, the CSA rifles and pistols come with the US plastic trigger, which I don't particularly care for. CNC Warrior makes a steel US trigger, disconnector and sear, but I've heard on here from time to time that these aren't 100% reliable and introduce the "gremlin" to the works. Anyone know anything about that?

CNC Warrior also makes (or at least made) US gas pistons for the Vz58, but have not been in stock for several months and the company does not seem to have any plans to put them back into production. This would seem to be a relatively simple part to manufacture, but apparently, they had problems working in Century VZs, so have been withdrawn (gd Century monkey drunks!).

CSA also has available US plastic magazine parts, the follower and floor plate, but I'm not keen to introduce plastic aftermarket parts into the tried and true Czech military Vz magazine if I can help it. Perhaps someone like Csspecs could be induced to make good US metal floor plates like they do for AKs and ad another relatively easy 922r compliant part.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:02:04 AM by MeatAxe »

Offline Lomx138

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 10:21:51 AM »
I forgot to mention that the 762 Military rifles Czechpoint currently has in stock come with bayonet lugs at no extra charge.

I don't think that a bayonet has much practical use on a rifle, but I guess I'll have to get one now.

I?ve got a couple of bayonets lying around, would sell for cheap; if you?re interested, send me a PM.

Offline OldGringo

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 01:17:34 PM »

I?ve got a couple of bayonets lying around, would sell for cheap; if you?re interested, send me a PM.

Unfortunately, I already put an order in, but thanks all the same.