Author Topic: 1987 Tanfoglio BTA90 FTE/barrel issues  (Read 257 times)

Offline Pennywise827

1987 Tanfoglio BTA90 FTE/barrel issues
« on: February 06, 2018, 04:13:06 PM »
OK so I'm a regular over on the 1911addicts site, but I know that for all things CZ this is the place to be. I enjoyed my CZ75 so much when an opportunity to trade a Taurus PT111 for an issue-riddled Tanfoglio came up I decided to hop on it. I understood I was getting a weapon that needs some work.

So from what I discovered from disassembly, there is some deformation of the barrel lugs, and someone clearly was over-zealous on a polish job...taking material off the entire lip of the barrel. I will post pics of that later when I get home. The extractor has been replaced by the second owner who I got it from, and seems to be seated correctly. It will hand cycle and both eject and extract. My ejector isn't broken either.

So I took it to the range to test fire. WITHOUT FAIL it FTE and left the casing inside the barrel throat with the next round pushing up against it to jam the slide open. I wasn't smart enough to try just one round at a time, so before you ask...IDK. I did however notice what looks like powder burns on the top half of the spent cartridge in a spiraling fashion.

Here are some photos. Anything else needed I can take pics of and post.

Any advise on where to start will be appreciated.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: 1987 Tanfoglio BTA90 FTE/barrel issues
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 05:53:04 PM »
Barrel Lug peening may indicate that the Recoil Spring has worn out.  Replace it with a Wolff Standard Recoil Spring.  Otherwise, it's a slide to barrel fit issue.

MOST FTE problems with Cz75 pattern Pistols are related to the Extractor and it's Spring.  In my direct experience, replacing the Extractor Spring usually cures this problem and I typically install Wolff Extra Power Extractor Springs, which must be fitted.  Typically, I've had to cut only one Coil.

Also note that there are two different styles of Extractors that are found on these Pistols, depending upon the cut of the Slide Bolt Face.  One is the Cz75 Style Extractor, the other is a Walther Style Extractor.  My Compact TA90 has the Walther Style Extractor and my Full Size TA90 has a Pre-B Cz75 Style Extractor.  Note that the same Extractor Spring will work for either.

Series 88 Tanfoglio 9mm TA90's, Full Size and Compact. These have been exceptionally accurate and reliable.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:57:41 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Pennywise827

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:10:32 AM »
I haven't found a wolff that is made for a pre88. Maybe I just missed it. I'm finding MOST my issues finding parts is that its pre-88. Any leads would be awesome.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 01:04:00 PM »
I haven't found a wolff that is made for a pre88.

Well, you're in luck there as the Extractor Spring is one of those universal parts that has NEVER changed and is the same as one for regular Cz pattern Pistols.

See this page: https://www.gunsprings.com/mID19/dID100

Note:
Extractor Springs

Extra power extractor springs are available to correct extraction problems common in the CZ-75/85 series pistols - all calibers.  Wolff springs are approximately 25% stronger than factory springs.  Will also function in EAA Witness, Springfield P-9 and most CZ clone pistols.

I would get one of these springs (or a few if you feel unlucky) trim one coil and install it, then test the Pistol.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Pennywise827

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:07:36 PM »
OK it has a brand new extractor and spring in there. I will play with the old one and the new one and ensure its the right extractor and spring....as to the recoil spring replacement, that's what I hadn't found at wolff. It always shows full sized only models...not sure if that matters? I am completely new to this gun.

Offline joe777107

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 05:27:59 PM »
After looking at your pictures, it appears that your slide is cut for two locking lugs, but your barrel only has one.  So that one lug is taking twice the force that it was meant to.  I'm looking at it by scrolling around on my phone, but that's how it appears to me.