Author Topic: CZ 83 grips  (Read 19405 times)

Offline JAKELEG

CZ 83 grips
« on: February 07, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »
Has anyone on the forum here bought the $20 plastic grips [in various colors] that are on Ebay? My grips are worn pretty smooth and not easy to hold on to. I thought about the grip tape, bed liner paint, sand blasting etc. but would prefer something close to "original"
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." — J.B. Books in "The Shootist" (1976)
[John Wayne]

Offline afultz075

Re: CZ 83 grips
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 11:20:01 PM »
I bought a set of those a year or two back and they were garbage. Little pits/molding imperfections all over them and they would not fit the gun at all. I made the seller give me my money back and threw them out.

I think the design/geometry on the CZ-82/83 grip frame makes this gun super challenging as far as quality aftermarket grips.

I would just go with the official CZ-USA grips (which they still have for $20 or so I believe).

Offline jetcycles

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:05:50 AM »
Those look to be the same grips as those offered by www.tillandergungrips.com in my opinion.  I have a set from Tillander, and I don't have a lot of positives to say about them.  They're far from perfect and required quite a bit of fitting, but they were only $20, so I can't complain too much.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline ulmapache

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 12:03:08 PM »
Brownells and Midway sometimes have the walnut grips..Klinsky has some nice ones also...but be prepared to pay more than 20 bucks...

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 12:15:50 PM »
My Tillander experience is just the opposite. One pair on my K2 and one pair on a Colt 1903 and both fit great and look great.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 12:08:48 AM »
I would agree with afultz075 about the CZ 83 frame layout and the challenges it presents for good grip manufacturing. My experience is with quite a few grips on a half-dozen frames that are both the older as well as the late production CZ 83 frames.

Agree on those Tillander grips having issues with fit. Have had to sand a couple and they never quite fit or felt right even after I was sent replacements. Just received wooden ones from Grips4u and while they fit on the frame, the inner dimensions make it very difficult to remove the magazine. The magazine barely budges when you push in on the mag release so you have to grab the mag base to pry it out. Have already spent lots of time sanding the insides of these grips and the mag will now just budge only half the time when the button is pushed. The mags for the 7.65 mm have a slightly different profile and seem to release much easier. Externally, there is a sharp edge on the lower front end of both grip panels that don?t match up well with the frame.

Marschal grips are expensive but fit well and magazines drop free. A couple of Klinsky grips have the same positive attributes for the CZ 83. However, I have also encountered issues with grips from Klinsky for the CZ 75 and Walther PP. Like the Grips4u ones for the CZ 83, it should not require this much fitting given the cost of these grips.

The carbon fiber ones from Prestige Grips are decent although they didn?t  work on a particular 1986 frame as the safety was hindered from moving. Have also tried a couple of the cheaper, wooden ones on eBay from Thailand and they either were too thick internally and restricted the magazine or were too thin and cracked. This is the bane of CZ 83 owners who can?t leave the stock grips as is ??

Offline MakarovFan

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 05:13:03 AM »
Has anyone on the forum here bought the $20 plastic grips [in various colors] that are on Ebay? My grips are worn pretty smooth and not easy to hold on to. I thought about the grip tape, bed liner paint, sand blasting etc. but would prefer something close to "original"

This seller (based in the Czech Republic) seems to be selling original CZ grips. I ordered a set about 3 weeks ago but unfortunately it will be another day or two before they arrive (based on tracking info). Will update once I get them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CZECH-CZ82-83-GRIPS-COVERS-CZUB-factory-original-NEW/263398793049
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:14:35 AM by MakarovFan »

Offline ulmapache

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 10:08:07 PM »
FWIW..I ordered a set of walnut grips for my 83 from CZ...had to sand the inside a bit to get the mag to drop free...but other than that, perfect fit and finish... The Klinskys for the CZ 70 had no issues at all...went right on just like OEM..

Offline MakarovFan

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 03:20:23 PM »
Just received my grips from eBay. They were shipped from the Czech Republic and took 3-4 weeks to arrive.

Unfortunately they do not quite fit correctly and block the safety lever from going down. Looks like they would need some pretty serious modifications to work as they leave a sizable gap between the frame and grips near where the safety is.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 12:32:48 AM by MakarovFan »

Offline DUTCH VanAtlanta

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 01:56:43 PM »
I ordered and received a really beautiful set of grips for my CZ83 .380 from Marschal grips a few years ago.  Sadly, they were not even close to fitting correctly; and I returned them for credit.  It's really too bad as they would have dressed up my CZ83 beautifully.

There is obviously a variation in the CZ83 frames.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 02:06:52 PM by DUTCH VanAtlanta »
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
CZ 83 Stainless .380

Offline Nschuh119th

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 05:25:49 PM »
I bought a set of the Thialand hardwood grips from Amazon for my 75 PCR. After a minor adjustment on the screw holes, they fit perfect and look very nice with some nice grain that runs vertical.
I didn't want to spend $150. on grips but if I did, they would be Carl Nill grips that are made in Germany. Beautiful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
I ordered and received a really beautiful set of grips for my CZ83 .380 from Marschal grips a few years ago.  Sadly, they were not even close to fitting correctly; and I returned them for credit.  It's really too bad as they would have dressed up my CZ83 beautifully.

That?s quite unfortunate to hear about your experience. I have tried 5 pairs of grips from Marschal for the CZ 83 and they have all worked nicely for a half dozen frames from the 80s, 90s and the newer production 2011-2012...a mix of .32 and .380 also. One grip developed a hairline crack (not around the screw hole) that I think could have been due to the grain pattern in the zebra wood for this particular one. He sent me a replacement with a different flow in the grain. I have had only one minor fitting issue with Marschal grips and that was for a PA-63 type frame.

Offline DUTCH VanAtlanta

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 07:34:35 AM »

That?s quite unfortunate to hear about your experience. I have tried 5 pairs of grips from Marschal for the CZ 83 and they have all worked nicely for a half dozen frames from the 80s, 90s and the newer production 2011-2012...a mix of .32 and .380 also.

Agree on the unfortunate experience!  I plan to give the CZ USA Shop walnut grips a try just as soon as they get the required grip inserts back in stock.
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
CZ 83 Stainless .380

Offline OldHorse66

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 02:22:05 AM »

That?s quite unfortunate to hear about your experience. I have tried 5 pairs of grips from Marschal for the CZ 83 and they have all worked nicely for a half dozen frames from the 80s, 90s and the newer production 2011-2012...a mix of .32 and .380 also.

Agree on the unfortunate experience!  I plan to give the CZ USA Shop walnut grips a try just as soon as they get the required grip inserts back in stock.

I got this wood grip from KSD about a year ago.  They don?t seem to this style anymore, but they have others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bonj

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »
The Ebay versions are junk.

anything