Author Topic: New Witness P-S - Nose Dives  (Read 795 times)

Offline Bret

Re: New Witness P-S - Nose Dives
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 03:52:03 PM »
The CZ magazines sometimes or often work, but I'd get the ones designed for the Tanfoglio (Witness) just to be sure.  The magazine catch holes are not exactly the same and are not in the exact same location. 
MGWIT9SFAFC is the Mec-Gar magazine you need.

Offline Stan Marsh

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »
The CZ magazines sometimes or often work, but I'd get the ones designed for the Tanfoglio (Witness) just to be sure.  The magazine catch holes are not exactly the same and are not in the exact same location. 
MGWIT9SFAFC is the Mec-Gar magazine you need.

Roger that.  Thanks!

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 06:19:14 PM »
I've had really good Luck with Mec-Gar Cz75B 17 and 19 round Magazines in both Steel and Polymer Framed Tanfoglio and Tanfoglio based Cz Clones, such as my Sarsilmaz SAR B6P.
So much so, I'm not sure when I last ever used the stock Magazines.  In the case of my SAR B6P, it was probably the first time I fired it, then after I tried the Mec-Gar 19 round Cz75B Magazine, probably never again.

EAA SAR B6P Full Size 9mm Pistol shown with Hogue Handall and Mec-Gar 19 round Cz75B AFC Magazine installed.

Tanfoglio Series 88 TA90
Tanfoglio Armscore RIA MAP1
Both with 19 round Mec-Gar Cz75 Magazines and Hogue Grips
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:26:30 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline darink300zx

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 07:53:33 PM »
I've had good luck with the CZ75b Mecgar mags as well, specifically the 17 rounders.  No issues with them seating, cycling, or engaging the slide stop on the last round.  I guess I didn't even know they made witness specific mec gars, lol. 

Offline Stan Marsh

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 12:21:36 AM »
Thanks, guys!

Ordered the whole "9" to hedge my bets; the 17 and 19 CZ75B mags from Mec-Gar and also the Witness-specific 17 that Mec-Gar puts out.  Hoping all three function as they should.  Hard to have too many working mags.

Offline DWARREN

• Grumpy Old Guy
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 01:05:18 AM »
My CZ mags work well in both my SAR B6P and Witness P S as long as they have the thin metal base plate. They have problems with the rubber coated base plates.
SHUT UP AND RELOAD!

Offline Stan Marsh

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 01:17:44 PM »
My CZ mags work well in both my SAR B6P and Witness P S as long as they have the thin metal base plate. They have problems with the rubber coated base plates.
Thanks for weighing in, DWARREN.

Now are you talking OEM CZ mags or Mec-Gar?

Offline DWARREN

• Grumpy Old Guy
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 01:49:46 PM »
Both really, the CZ's seem to fit a little better but both have worked for me.
SHUT UP AND RELOAD!

Offline Stan Marsh

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 01:51:10 PM »
...but both have worked for me.
So long as they don't have the rubber plate.

Have you tried the Mec-Gar 19?

Offline Stan Marsh

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 10:40:29 PM »
UPDATE:

3 new mags.  All Mec-Gar

1 - Witness "OEM" 17 rd
1 - CZ75B 17 rd
1 - CZ75B 19 rd

Before taking them to the range, I performed some tests in the garage and took some measurements and photos.  I believe there are 2 important differences between the stock mag and the 3 Mec-Gars.

1.  The mag lips on the stock mag begin to taper in about 3/8" below the top.  While the MGs curl in only right at the top.  In my thumb testing, pushing the rounds forward, the OEM unit causes the rounds to dive a little about half way out of the lips while the MG rounds go straight and even lift up a hair at times.

2.  With all mags locked in place, but hanging at their lowest, the rounds in the stock mag sit noticeably lower than they do in the MGs.  AND... they sit very level in the stock unit while the MG rounds sit pointed slightly upward.  You can use the line on the other side of the slide as a reference point for the following 2 photos.  First is the stock.  2nd photo is an MG.  All MGs were very nearly the same in this regards.

Stock.  Note that you can see nearly the whole top of the case in this shot...

Mec-Gar.  Camera angled to view the entire case as well...

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:00:53 PM by Stan Marsh »

Offline Stan Marsh

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2018, 11:40:11 PM »
Something else I noticed...

Both the MG Witness OEM mag and the stock mag have notably stiffer springs than the CZ units.  The 17 rd Witness has 1 more round of spring than the 17 CZ.

Took the mags to the range on Saturday and put about 260 rounds downrange.  100 Winchester 147 gr Train (flat nose ball,) 100 Remington UMC 115 gr JHP, 50 Winchester 147 JHP, about a dozen balls to finish filling the last mag.

I tested the 3 new mags only.  No faith in the stock unit.  This write-up is in regard to the new mags only.

I filled all mags, chambered and then added the final round to the mag for every test for a total of 18, 18 and 20.

I have good news and not so good news.

First the not so good...

All 3 mags made it through 2 rounds without a hitch.

On round 3, I was performing double taps with the Mec-Gar Witness mag.  I had lost count and when the last round didn't go bang, I instinctively thumbed to mag release and stripped it.  I noticed it took a little more effort than usual and as I looked down, I saw a round sticking straight up out of the mag and the slide was closed.  It happened so fast, I don't know if the slide closed after I stripped the mag or what.  There were 2 more rounds below the vertical.  I believe they were the Winchester 147 JHP.

Since I stripped the mag, there isn't much of a way to be sure what happened.

So I moved on from that mag.

I decided to keep up with the double taps thinking maybe the rapid fire had something to do with it?  Limp-wristing maybe?  Doubt it, but...

Made it through round 3 with the 2 CZ mags without a hitch.

I ran into another problem in round 4.  The 17 round mag jammed on the last round.  BUT... this time I instantly recalled that the last round that fired before the jam felt noticeably softer than the rest.  It was a Rem UMC 115 JHP.  Short stroke perhaps?  Weak mag spring?  But if anything, one would think the 19 round mag would have the softest spring... for the last round, at least.

Below are a couple of photos.

Now I have to wonder if the MG Witness OEM mag problem wasn't the result of a soft round too.  I almost recall that it could have been, but I'm not sure.

So I put the 17 down and proceeded to put the 19 through its paces.

Finally... the good news...

I put a total of 140 flawless rounds downrange with the 19, nearly all flat nose or JHPs.  I'm calling that mag proven.  So the Witness P-S is in condition 1 with the 19 mag as I type.  The CZ 17 mag is loaded as the backup.  I will be spending more time with the CZ 17 and the MG Witness in the near future.

Now... any thoughts on the failure below?

A workout!!!

Don't worry.  She cleaned up nicely.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:04:14 PM by Stan Marsh »

Offline Bret

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2018, 09:09:31 AM »
None of the pictures are showing for me.   :(

Offline Stan Marsh

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2018, 11:43:59 AM »
None of the pictures are showing for me.   :(

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on there, darnit.

How 'bout now?

Offline Bret

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2018, 02:31:41 PM »
No.

Offline Stan Marsh

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2018, 02:42:01 PM »
No.
Yeah.  That stinks.  I'm doing the same routine as I did in the OP.  And when I post, the photos are there.

By the time you view it...

gone.

Super.

Trying again...

anything