Author Topic: My Tristar P120 project with CGW and Dawson  (Read 266 times)

Offline Underwhere

My Tristar P120 project with CGW and Dawson
« on: February 10, 2018, 10:17:11 PM »
I picked up a Tristar P120 for the heck of it. About half the price of a SP01 so I didn't expect much.

I was floored when I got it home and took it apart. Machining was better than all of my CZ's with the exception of the 99021.

Part 1:
I reached out to CGW for parts and they hooked me up with:

* Extended firing pin + spring
* Firing pin retaining pin
* New hammer spring (forget the weight)
* Adjustable sear
* Race hammer
* Single action trigger with adjustable stops
* Reduced trigger return spring
* Floating trigger pin
* Reduced recoil spring
* 10x Barrel bushing

I did my standard polish which is generally more than what I see most people do because I have too much fun like that.

The trigger is just as good as any of my CZ's. The single action weight is a smidge under 3 pounds. The gun feels awesome.

Part 2:
I called CGW because I needed new sights. The factory wasn't cutting it.

I sent my slide to CGW and they worked together with Dawson Precision to make a new set of sights to fit the Tristar series of pistols. So now people should be able to purchase them either from CGW or Dawson now or in the near future. Now something that actually fits. How is that for service from CGW?

The sights are pretty low profile and match the slide profile very well. (see pics)

My overall feeling about Tristar:
For lower budget project guns these cannot be beat.

I don't understand why these aren't more popular.

Rating build quality from best to worst from what I have held in my own hands and examined or worked on. Again just my experience.

1. Tristar (much better and more defined edges on the trigger bar. Frame casting is better.)
2. CZ (racking the slide feels like sandpaper. Inconsistent quality on internal parts)
3. Tanfoglio (an easy last place by a large margin. Horrible trigger bar. Frame needed an actual file before smoothing out etc)

Some desires for the P120:
* The beavertail of the Tristar leaves room for improvement. It could be more upswept.
* The trigger guard could be chamfered a tad more. I can feel it rubbing my middle finger.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:28:03 PM by Underwhere »

Offline DF_Hammack

Re: My Tristar P120 project with CGW and Dawson
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 12:07:42 AM »
Oh man! I WANT those sights! I have only fired a CZ a couple of times (surplus 75B's), so I can't speak of them with your authority, but of the CZ's I have fired, my P-100 is all over them.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:09:54 AM by DF_Hammack »
Tristar P100 - SAR B6P

Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American - Congressman Tenche Coxe, 1788

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 12:11:02 AM »
Oh man! I WANT those sights! I have only fired a CZ a couple of times (surplus 75B's), so I can't speak of them with your authority, but of the CZ's I have fired, my P-100 is all over them.
I'd call Cajun and see if they have started to stock them or not.

They just recently finished them up on my gun.

Offline Practical Shooter

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »
Great review Underpants .... sorry, it is Underwhere  O0 (Love the name)

If I can add my 2 cents

You are absolutely right with the beaver tale, it needs to be improved "up" a bit.
The gun is very well made, but when the surface coating wears off, due to normal metal to metal wear, you will see tool marks showing, which is standard to many guns without affecting anything.
I prefer the coating of the CZ, but the Canik's finish is still very durable, it might just be MY preference.
The Canik sear block is simplified compare to the CZ, so it is easier to pull apart and work on.
The P120, and its brothers and sisters, are more related to the Standard CZ75, even so the P120 looks like an SP01.
Many parts can use standard CZ parts, but will sometime require a light sanding to fit in properly. I think Canik make their guns very slightly smaller than the CZ.

Why isn't Canik more popular? One simple answer my friend, aftermarket parts.
In this state and age, no gun manufacturer should produce a gun without the support of an aftermarket base, it's almost a death wish. But this one has survived, thanks to CGW and CZ's aftermarket.

Other than that, the Canik steel frame serie is a little marvel

Tristar/Canik link:
http://www.tristararms.com/products/semi-automatic-pistols/

My P120 Channel:

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 12:35:50 PM »

If I can add my 2 cents

You are absolutely right with the beaver tale, it needs to be improved "up" a bit.
The gun is very well made, but when the surface coating wears off, due to normal metal to metal wear, you will see tool marks showing, which is standard to many guns without affecting anything.
I prefer the coating of the CZ, but the Canik's finish is still very durable, it might just be MY preference.
The Canik sear block is simplified compare to the CZ, so it is easier to pull apart and work on.
The P120, and its brothers and sisters, are more related to the Standard CZ75, even so the P120 looks like an SP01.
Many parts can use standard CZ parts, but will sometime require a light sanding to fit in properly. I think Canik make their guns very slightly smaller than the CZ.

In this state and age, no gun manufacturer should produce a gun without the support of an aftermarket base, it's almost a death wish. But this one has survived, thanks to CGW and CZ's aftermarket.

Tristar/Canik link:

My P120 Channel:

Thanks for the comments.
Agreed on the sear block to a certain degree. I noticed that different CZ's use slightly different methods of retaining the sear block. The Stainless ambi's use a double male safety lever, others have odd ways of securing the sear spring leg.

As far as finish is concerned. I'm not a huge fan of the factory CZ coating. I think it's used because it's a high fill type of coating. Cerakote on the other hand is very low fill and will not hide as many surface blemishes as the CZ finish. It may as you said wear faster though.

My hope is that more people find out about Tristar and CGW parts. Well maybe. That leaves less for me but I think CGW has enough supply.

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 08:31:51 PM »

If I can add my 2 cents

Tristar/Canik link:

My P120 Channel:

Just watched your video. Nice feedback.

I forgot that the gun came with a metal guide rod. I think that was a nice touch compared to the plastic ones that come with the CZ.

I also noticed you were dry firing without an O-ring.

You probably already know this but just in case you didn't - the firing pin will hit the roll pin in the slide and will damage both. Some people have had their roll pins break and collapse inside the firing pin channel.

I noticed damage on a stock roll pin and firing pin on a brand new CZ. I cut the box open so I know no one at the shop was dry firing it. I make sure to get CGW's roll pin and in general try not to dry fire it with something blocking the hammer.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 09:04:52 PM »

If I can add my 2 cents

Tristar/Canik link:

My P120 Channel:

Just watched your video. Nice feedback.

I forgot that the gun came with a metal guide rod. I think that was a nice touch compared to the plastic ones that come with the CZ.

I also noticed you were dry firing without an O-ring.

You probably already know this but just in case you didn't - the firing pin will hit the roll pin in the slide and will damage both. Some people have had their roll pins break and collapse inside the firing pin channel.

I noticed damage on a stock roll pin and firing pin on a brand new CZ. I cut the box open so I know no one at the shop was dry firing it. I make sure to get CGW's roll pin and in general try not to dry fire it with something blocking the hammer.

I am so glad you are telling me about the firing pin and the roll pin potential damage, I will have to be careful and use some dummy rounds.
 But after a few thousands dry fire with the Canik, ether It is a very well built gun or I am close to a catastrophic failure.

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 09:49:16 PM »
If I were you I'd remove the roll pin and check for damage.
Several of my guns showed damage to both the retaining roll pin and firing pin...and I don't dry fire too much.

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 10:00:22 PM »
Here is a guy with a 99041 who only dry fired about 5 times on a brand new gun.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=94654.0

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 09:49:37 PM »
If I were you I'd remove the roll pin and check for damage.
Several of my guns showed damage to both the retaining roll pin and firing pin...and I don't dry fire too much.

Two weeks ago, I disassembled the slide to cut out a little bit of material on the original firing pin, to allow the pin to strike deeper on primers, and as I look at my fired primers, it was successful.
During the disassembly, I didn't really look at the roll pin, but I suspect that if it had been damaged, it would have caught my eyes. Certainly to be verified during my next cleaning.
I also make a point to reinsert a roll pin with the cut area facing up. The cut area is the weak area of the roll pin and should not face the striking face of the firing pin.

anything