Author Topic: Loadmaster primer checker  (Read 1607 times)

Offline mrcabinet

Loadmaster primer checker
« on: February 11, 2018, 05:41:29 PM »
As some of you know from my post not too long ago, I recently started using a Lee Loadmaster for 9mm and .45. So far so good, but I have not liked the "blind" primer seating - especially after reading on the interwebs about upside down, cockeyed or missing primers. The small LED light under the shell plate idea is great for verifying that a primer is there but does nothing for an upside down or skewed one.

I recently bought a usb endoscope for work and thought this might work for checking primers as well. You can get one for less than six dollars on your favorite auction site. I splurged and spent eight bucks for one with an adjustable light intensity. One thing it must have is the 90 degree end adapter. There are several free OTG apps that allow it to run on your phone. I drilled a hole under the shell plate and epoxied the end once I got the location right.

The photos aren't the best, but you can see the results (I'm still playing with the light and contrast). The images do look better on my phone's screen.

Here's how it looks with a good primer in a case.

Case without primer

No case in the shell plate

Not the best image quality but it does give me a visual confirmation and a little peace of mind.
No matter where you're going, there you are.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: Loadmaster primer checker
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »
Very clever !
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline dave33

Re: Loadmaster primer checker
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 06:40:30 PM »
Another way of doing this is with a small adjustable inspection mirror, small clamp, adjustable book reading light, and the loadmaster primer explosion shield installed on the press.  Clamp the mirror handle to the explosion shield angled to look down into the hole in station two, and angle the adjustable light to shine against the mirror looking down into the case.  The beauty of this is you literally watch each case as it is being primed.  If a primer is missed or gets crushed in sideways you are watching while it is happening and simply yank that case out of station 3 before the powder drop, and keep right on loading without missing a beat, unless you have an issue that needs addressing such as being out of primers.

If I can remember to I will take a couple pics tonight to better show exactly what Im talking about.  Its pretty neat as you are watching the primer anvil getting seated into the primer compound so you know your primers are seated fully.

anything