Author Topic: Getting rid of "grit" racking the slide on a 75B Stainless  (Read 3132 times)

The Guardian

Re: Getting rid of "grit" racking the slide on a 75B Stainless
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
Do you do the work?  Doesn't matter in the least either way......it looks great!

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 08:22:22 PM »
Do you do the work?  Doesn't matter in the least either way......it looks great!
Yes I do the work.

I enjoy working on the guns more than shooting them nowadays. I can't find time for the range.

I wish I had more ideas and more projects.

I spent almost 3 months polishing this Tanfoglio. Every pin, inside the firing pin channel, every spring inside and out etc. Went overboard. Allowed me to run a very very light hammer spring and still ignite all primers due to the decreased friction.

The Guardian

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 09:52:37 PM »
Yes I do the work.

I enjoy working on the guns more than shooting them nowadays. I can't find time for the range.

Those are nice as well......that's great you work on your own guns!  I too run out of idea's at times, though the itch to do something "different" never really goes away permanently, just when I think I'm not going to do anything more, something inspires me and turns that switch back on.  :)  This link is to a thread that shows some of the CZ's I've "worked" on, rather than repost here, mine are the first reply to the original post....like it says just fun stuff  ;D      http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=91523.0
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:57:14 PM by The Guardian »

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 10:00:17 PM »
Yes I do the work.

Those are nice as well......that's great you work on your own guns!  I too run out of idea's at times, though the itch to do something "different" never really goes away permanently, just when I think I'm not going to do anything more, something inspires me and turns that switch back on.  :)  This link is to a thread that shows some of the CZ's I've "worked" on, rather than repost here, mine are the first reply to the original post....like it says just fun stuff  ;D
I'm toying with the idea of completely tearing down a gun, polishing it and then heat coloring the entire thing.

It may look too tacky though.

Or maybe do some sort of bead blasting and a matte black finish. I dunno.

I need to find more reasonable gun inventory. I've looked at Tristar which is an option.

The Guardian

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 10:13:50 PM »
I'm toying with the idea of completely tearing down a gun, polishing it and then heat coloring the entire thing.

I need to find more reasonable gun inventory. I've looked at Tristar which is an option.

Maybe just heat/color the slide and controls......keep the frame polished or black, a polished "regular" steel frame will keep kind of a very subtle black-ish hue to it.  I pretty much stick to the steel CZ's just more options for finishes rather than coatings.

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 10:16:37 PM »

Maybe just heat/color the slide and controls......keep the frame polished or black, a polished "regular" steel frame will keep kind of a very subtle black-ish hue to it.  I pretty much stick to the steel CZ's just more options for finishes rather than coatings.
Or I may go to a rustic dark blued finish like I just saw with yours.

I really want to find an old beat up 75 and leave the finish and toss in some CGW parts. Put in the go-fast parts in an old beat up frame.

If I could just find one.

The Guardian

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 10:30:08 PM »
Or I may go to a rustic dark blued finish like I just saw with yours.

I really want to find an old beat up 75 and leave the finish and toss in some CGW parts. Put in the go-fast parts in an old beat up frame.

If I could just find one.

They are out there, not as many as there used to be but they exist.  The "Dark Blue" is what I'm going to do to my 75BD project.......getting the Polycoat off is very time consuming, bluing the frame takes a lot of prep since it will show any imperfections.  That blue finish is actually really cool, it does look dark blue, not black, and when you look closer it has a battle worn look to it in different lighting......I'm pretty stoked to get it done  ;D

The Guardian

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 09:16:09 PM »
.......I picked up a Matte Stainless the other day and noticed that it feels gritty when racking the slide. Almost like there is sand in the rails (but there isn't).

I'm leaning towards the recoil spring because the guide rod is short and does not protrude from the front of the gun. I'm thinking the spring itself compresses and contacts the walls of the dust cover.

Am I right?
Any solutions for this? It's more of an annoyance than anything.

If your springs are of the 11# or 12# variety from CGW that would be the issue those just don't have the tensile strength/support unless they have the full length guide rod...hence why I tend to convert the short to a long guide rod or run steel recoil springs from CZC or Wolff, sometimes both  ;D.......you didn't really mention what the spring was that is installed, so this is just an added note  ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:21:04 PM by The Guardian »

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 09:29:21 PM »
.......I picked up a Matte Stainless the other day and noticed that it feels gritty when racking the slide. Almost like there is sand in the rails (but there isn't).

I'm leaning towards the recoil spring because the guide rod is short and does not protrude from the front of the gun. I'm thinking the spring itself compresses and contacts the walls of the dust cover.

Am I right?
Any solutions for this? It's more of an annoyance than anything.

If your springs are of the 11# or 12# variety from CGW that would be the issue those just don't have the tensile strength/support unless they have the full length guide rod...hence why I tend to convert the short to a long guide rod or run steel recoil springs from CZC or Wolff, sometimes both  ;D.......you didn't really mention what the spring was that is installed, so this is just an added note  ;)
I noticed in one of your builds you used CGW parts with a CZC recoil spring. I put 2+2 together. I may order some CZC recoil springs for it. Thats likely the issue.

The Guardian

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 11:02:44 PM »
Unless you have full length guide rod you will have some "friction" between the recoil spring and slide.....the lighter weight steel springs just function better with the short guide rod. 

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 11:07:40 PM »
Unless you have full length guide rod you will have some "friction" between the recoil spring and slide.....the lighter weight steel springs just function better with the short guide rod.

Yup. I'm realizing that now.
I don't have a drill press. I could come pretty close to center with a hand drill...but man I don't want to do that to my stainless.
I'd do that to a surplus 75 in a heartbeat.

I'll just have to live with it

Right now the matte stainless is sitting with the slide locked back hoping the spring will settle down a bit.
I'm also thinking of taking a shorter harder spring and cutting some coils off. Maybe a browning high power spring which I read is of a slightly smaller diameter but still fits.

The Guardian

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 11:28:20 PM »
Yup. I'm realizing that now.
I don't have a drill press. I could come pretty close to center with a hand drill...but man I don't want to do that to my stainless.
I'd do that to a surplus 75 in a heartbeat.

I'll just have to live with it

Right now the matte stainless is sitting with the slide locked back hoping the spring will settle down a bit.
I'm also thinking of taking a shorter harder spring and cutting some coils off. Maybe a browning high power spring which I read is of a slightly smaller diameter but still fits.

I use a vise to hold the slide verticle and a drill press to cut the hole, I've cambered some, others not....just whatever "feels" right for the gun.   Cutting coils is an option, maybe 1/2 to 1 coil at at time and see how each feels.......

Offline sigken

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 07:22:59 PM »
I thought about that as well and wondered how many people have done that.

I'm not sure I want to do that to a factory stainless that's already so hard to find.

I did it on my FFL's Matte Stainless at his request, looked really good.....its obviously a personal choice......I'm going to be refinishing & upgrading a NIB 75BD and will be doing this very thing to it as well, just my preference  ::)
That does look good.

I wish I could find some surplus cz's and just have some fun building them up.

I don't know if I can bring myself to doing it to this one

Just so you know I am having the same problem with my Stainless. I am glad you guys found the culprit. No wonder my P01 racks so much smoother than my CZ75B Stainless lol.

On a side note: what wood grips are they? They look really nice. How thick are they compared to the stock rubbers?

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 11:39:54 PM »
I thought about that as well and wondered how many people have done that.

I'm not sure I want to do that to a factory stainless that's already so hard to find.

I did it on my FFL's Matte Stainless at his request, looked really good.....its obviously a personal choice......I'm going to be refinishing & upgrading a NIB 75BD and will be doing this very thing to it as well, just my preference  ::)
That does look good.

I wish I could find some surplus cz's and just have some fun building them up.

I don't know if I can bring myself to doing it to this one

Just so you know I am having the same problem with my Stainless. I am glad you guys found the culprit. No wonder my P01 racks so much smoother than my CZ75B Stainless lol.

On a side note: what wood grips are they? They look really nice. How thick are they compared to the stock rubbers?
I got them from grips4u.net and are the type 1.

I'm happy with them. Thinner than factory but not as thin as the aluminum. I prefer as thin as possible but the wood just looks so good.

I had to shave a small portion of one side for fitment but I expect a tiny bit of that.

Offline sigken

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 03:38:13 PM »
I got them from grips4u.net and are the type 1.

I'm happy with them. Thinner than factory but not as thin as the aluminum. I prefer as thin as possible but the wood just looks so good.

I had to shave a small portion of one side for fitment but I expect a tiny bit of that.

Thank you very much for the details!

I find these wood grips look better than the Cocobolos.

anything