Author Topic: Walther PPS to RAMI CC migration  (Read 7327 times)

Offline f100owner

Walther PPS to RAMI CC migration
« on: February 12, 2018, 02:50:35 PM »
I put a new RAMI on lay-away this weekend. It will join my older 75B and my new P-07 Urban Grey in my CZ collection.
I am strongly considering migrating to it as my daily CC firearm. I have been carrying a Walther PPS for several years (with occasional times grabbing the PPK/s or the wife's P238).
Previously, I owned a RAMI and never liked carrying it, thinking it was too big. And in a fit of stupidity traded it for a Beretta (which I got rid of  pretty soon - it became Taurus' equivalent of the PPS).
I am hoping with improved holsters, the RAMI will be more comfortable to carry IWB. But if not, I will have regained a firearm I have sorely missed. They are hard to find - kind of like the 97B.
We have open carry in the state and I carry OWB from time-to-time, so even if IWB is not an option, it may still get some belt time.
And if anyone asks, the PPS is a solid, dependable, accurate firearm that I have trained with. Not sure why i would consider changing carry pieces, other than just because.
CZ - 75B, SP01 tactical;
Walther PPS, /PPK/s;
1911 - Taurus 9mm, RIA Government, Mil spec;
Assorted other revolvers, automatics

Offline MattyD380

Re: Walther PPS to RAMI CC migration
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 03:15:20 PM »
For IWB...

Did you ever try appendix carry, with your previous Rami?

It's no secret the Rami is a pretty thick gun compared to a PPS. But I've found that carrying up front, near 12:00, thickness is less of an issue. For me anyway, there's more "give" in the waistline of my pants compared to behind the hip.

That said...

I will only carry a decocked DA gun in the appendix position. I'd be wary of a striker fired gun pointed there... same with cocked and locked. So, the Rami BD fits the bill in that respect. YMMV.

Offline mecenas

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 05:25:24 PM »
Any sticky holster, like Remora or similar allows you to carry RAMI anywhere between 12 o'clock and MOB and at any angle (i.e. canted or not). I alternate between RAMI BD and Colt Defender with Cylinder and Slide Safety Fast Shooting (SFS) system that allows me to carry 1911 locked with the hammer down and ready for fire as soon as I thumb down manual safety. One of the most ingenious systems ever developed for 1911 and, interestingly, not all that popular. The same holster for both pistols.

Offline SteveR2013

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:14:05 PM »
If you are considering IWB Ryan Grizzle makes a great holster with adjustable cant. http://rgrizzleleather.com/index.html. I have one of his SSR's for my RAMI BD. Great workmanship.

Offline MattyD380

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:24:21 PM »
Any sticky holster, like Remora or similar allows you to carry RAMI anywhere between 12 o'clock and MOB and at any angle (i.e. canted or not). I alternate between RAMI BD and Colt Defender with Cylinder and Slide Safety Fast Shooting (SFS) system that allows me to carry 1911 locked with the hammer down and ready for fire as soon as I thumb down manual safety. One of the most ingenious systems ever developed for 1911 and, interestingly, not all that popular. The same holster for both pistols.

I just looked up the SFS system...

Wow. Mind = blown. Never knew such a thing existed. I agree... you'd think it would be more popular.

Reminds of the system that's on the Lionheart/Daewoo pistols. But it's even better because the safety retracts the hammer. Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Offline benq

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 06:28:19 PM »
My body type allows me to carry the RAMI appendix style with a 10 rnd mag under a t shirt and in a Dara kydex holster.  Thickness and weight are less of an issue at 12 o'clock.  Gun prints pretty bad with a 14 rnd mag for me.

Lots of variables in play:
Body type
Holster type and design such as cant and material
Location on body
Clothing
Owner's skill and comfort level.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 05:25:32 AM »
I tried for years to like the PPS. I owned both models at different times. I used to switch them in rotation with my RAMI for EDC. The PPS is a great solid pistol but for my long hands it didn?t fit well and bothered my index finger while shooting. Now I switch between the RAMI and my P99 compact. Both are DA/SA.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline f100owner

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 01:41:42 PM »
OLD Thread I started.
Never did follow through with the migration.
In the interim acquired a Springfield XDE 9mm as a possible candidate.
Considering trying this holster with the RAMI (a gun I am considering selling).
CZ - 75B, SP01 tactical;
Walther PPS, /PPK/s;
1911 - Taurus 9mm, RIA Government, Mil spec;
Assorted other revolvers, automatics

Offline simplemann

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 04:10:06 PM »
Indeed an old thread. I have a PPS M2 and a P-01 Omega I believe they are both great pistols, however that Walther Warranty is something else..

Offline floridaman

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2022, 08:10:05 AM »
If you saw what those Ramis are going for you may wanna hold onto it. I don’t think the prices are going down either. If you’re considering a holster still, I’d give Tier 1 Concealed a shot. I got one for a P01 that makes it easy to conceal even for house shorts and t shirt carry.

Offline Fondaray

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 02:59:57 PM »
Do you still have the RAMI?  Is it for sale.