Author Topic: Bren gas ports?  (Read 469 times)

Offline Kenneth

Bren gas ports?
« on: February 13, 2018, 08:25:38 PM »
I am currently thinking about the Bren gas system. They have a two gas setting but it’s for “normal” and adverse settings. They are both very large.

Anyone have a solution for a suppressed setting?

I see that you can buy new gas regulators from CZ USA now for $80.

Anyone know what sizes they are for the pistol vs the carbine? I believe the carbine is 1.0mm and 1.5mm.

I have been speaking with Black River Tactical and they put set screw gas ports in barrels to tune the gas system on AR’s. I am thinking about if they can do the same with the Bren.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kenneth

Re: Bren gas ports?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 03:39:47 PM »
Anyone?

Offline Laughing Snake

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 09:43:26 AM »
I think you're going in the right direction. I don't have my Bren accessible right now but I thought about drilling a third hole and making a third notch to do suppressed. Doing a regulator with a set screw I would think could be manageable.

Offline Kenneth

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 09:16:49 PM »
I do not have a Bren either but I don’t know about drilling a third hole. Doesn’t the gas regulator lock in position with a pin?

Offline Laughing Snake

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 11:12:25 PM »
It does. You'd have to make a third cut out for the pin between the two existing ones that would line up with a third gas port.

Offline Czguy91

Bren gas ports?
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 01:59:49 PM »
Made an account just to reply to this. Ive done a suppressor port on my bren. The two factory holes are 1.2 and 1.5mm. I drilled a .8mm hole and then notched the front for the pin. Its a bear to get through the chrome but once you do, a carbide bit will get through it. I have 100% reliability so far with a silencerco hybrid. Only issue was no bolt hold open on the last round. This was with direct thread and a .46 end cap. I put the qd muzzle brake on and .308 end cap and will try again today to see if that creates a litte more back pressure. But results firing are extremely good. No overgas and super flat shooting.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:10:05 PM by Czguy91 »

Offline Kenneth

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »
^^^ oh nice man!

I would like to see how the gas ports hold up with more shooting.

Offline Czguy91

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 11:06:20 PM »
I’ll be sure to show some pics after some use. Just for an update, my suppressor setup did add back pressure, about 70% of the time it would get the bolt to lock back. So i decided to drill it out to .9mm and i think this will be the winner. Also, had my wife shoot it for me on standard and “suppressor” mode. And it has to be at least 5db quitter from the side. It was very noticeable.

anything