Author Topic: Minor PF Powder Options  (Read 514 times)

Offline jmh013

Minor PF Powder Options
« on: February 14, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »
I've been searching and reading several old conversations regarding 9mm Minor PF loads. I've been reloading for several years now, mostly pistol for me and a buddy for range use and training. I have joined USPSA and want to develop a load for match use, Production Division. I am almost out of TG but have several other powders  in my closet I would like to use. Of the following options WSF, Unique, AA#5, HP38 and HS6 which would be best for starting to develop a match load and/or should I avoid. I went shopping to a few places looking for N320 (seems to a FAV of most here) and Solo 1000 but couldn't find any. I think my requirements are meters well and not going to kill me on recoil. My current TG loads were 4.0gr for PD 124 JHP @ 1.095 OAL outta of SP-01. I am reloading on a Dillon 550B and using PD 124 JHP, but have some SNS 125 Conicals coming to test out. I ordered a chrono which is being delivered so I will be able to test my loads, finally.

Like to close all with thanking everyone in advance for many hours of informative reading and your comments and suggestions.

Offline painter

Re: Minor PF Powder Options
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 06:56:54 PM »
I'd choose the HP-38 for minor in 9mm. I think the other powders you listed are a bit too slow to get good efficiency at minor pf loads.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Practical Shooter

• Life's just too short
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 07:18:13 PM »
I have been using AA#5 with good success, but decided to go back to TG as I couldn't see any advantage of AA#5 over TG.
TG is dirtier, but AA#5 doesn't measure very well.

Here is what I got with AA#5

Using my Canik P120

124 gr Xtreme RN
AA#5 6.3gr OAL 1.160
AVG 1064   PF 132
----------------------------
In case you are interested, here is my TG load
Using my Canik P120

124 gr Xtreme RN
TG 4.0gr OAL 1.145
AVG 1063   PF 132

Good luck

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:57:14 PM »
Solo1000 is probably not gone forever, but it's gone for the time being.  Last runs of it weren't close enough for Western to import it and market it as Solo1000, so it's being used in commercial shotgun loads in Europe.

As Painter said, HP-38 is the one you have that is the most appropriate in terms of burn rate.   WSF probably your next best choice of what you have, though it's right at the edge of too slow.  I wouldn't use your others for 9mm minor. 

Titegroup is a common choice for 9mm minor, as is N320.  The new powder Alliant Sport Pistol is right in the right zone.  Bullseye.  American Select.  Ramshot Zip, if you can find it. 

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:12:08 PM »
Welcome Aboard !!

All above is good.

• W231 (aka HP-38) is your best choice of what you have. It's going to measure very accurately and burn fairly clean. At the opposite end of that spectrum is HS-6 which is accurate, but extremely dirty in low PF loads.

• For competition you'll want to hunt up some Federal primers. No harm if you can't, but they are easier to ignite and therefore an asset in competition. In low PF loads you can use Federal SPP or SP Magnums interchangeably. Sometimes you'll see the magnums for sale when others can't be found.

• Stick with the 124gr PD JHP bullets. The only drawback to these is seating them. The Dillon dies don't have a very appropriate anvil for pushing on these. You may want to epoxy up the SWC anvil.

;)
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline jmh013

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:18:26 PM »
Welcome Aboard !!

• Stick with the 124gr PD JHP bullets. The only drawback to these is seating them. The Dillon dies don't have a very appropriate anvil for pushing on these. You may want to epoxy up the SWC anvil.

;)
I actually have an RCBS seating die installed instead of the Dillon because I noticed my OALs were not so consistent.

Thanks for all the advice. I have 2lbs of HP38 &1lb of the WSF. Any suggestions on a replacement for N320 if I still come up empty in my search at local suppliers?

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 11:25:56 PM »
I actually have an RCBS seating die installed instead of the Dillon because I noticed my OALs were not so consistent.

Thanks for all the advice. I have 2lbs of HP38 &1lb of the WSF. Any suggestions on a replacement for N320 if I still come up empty in my search at local suppliers?

Alliant Sport Pistol. It’s new and the burn rate is around HP-38. I’ve heard they made it like VV. It burns really clean. Very little smoke. Measures really well. And I’ve had great accuracy with it. They also have a bunch of loads for it already, including Coated bullets.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:44:18 PM by Wobbly »
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline jmh013

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 11:37:30 PM »

We have a gun show in town this weekend so with a little luck I might be able to pick up some N320 and/or Sport Pistol.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 12:03:48 AM »
AS said above^^^.  I've used n320 for a number of years and it meets all your requests and more.  very low flash, no smoke,  soft recoil, forgiving powder that burns pretty clean and measures perfectly (small rod single base powder).   know it'll run fine at a 500 rd match with no cleaning.

re primers: "You are receiving this notification because you subscribed to receive alerts when the following products are back in stock:
Natchez Shooters Supply:
Federal Premium Champion Centerfire Primers Small Pistol   
Federal Premium Champion Centerfire Primers Small Pistol"

Regular Price: $34.39
Special price: $27.99

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 12:04:51 AM »
N320 is my go-to powder for 9mm.  125 gr Leatherhead bullet, 4.1 gr @ 1.125” OAL.  My practice load is 4.0 gr ETR7 which is the same setting on my 550.  Unfortunately ETR7 is no longer available but I’m sitting on a healthy supply that ought to last me a couple years.  I get my N320 in 4 lb jugs from a local store that caters to competition shooters, but you can also find it on Powder Valley from time to time.  The hazmat fee is not bad if you split a bulk order with a few people. Have you asked around at your local USPSA club to see where people are getting N320 from? 

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 10:15:43 AM »
Alliant Sport Pistol. It’s new and the burn rate is around HP-38. I’ve heard they made it like VV. It burns really clean. Very little smoke. Measures really well. And I’ve had great accuracy with it.

Sport Pistol is Alliant's newest powder. Even though you'll find local Alliant dealers with tons of RedDot and Unique in stock, they may have never had a request for SP. It comes in 1, 4 and 8lb containers. So if you want it, you may have to request it.

;)
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline dave33

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 12:14:50 PM »
If you can find AA#5, then I would think you can find AA#2, and that would be an excellent choice for 9mm minor.  It meters like water, is fairly clean shooting, and one of the most accurate powders I have ever used.  All that being said, don't spend too much time worrying about what powder you end up with, they will all be close enough to work fine for your needs, and your time will be better spent actually practicing instead of doing load development.

I would also recommend coated lead instead of JHP bullets.  You can buy them much cheaper, since they seal the barrel much better need a lower powder charge weight which generally makes them feel softer, and they will most certainly be accurate enough if your loading technique doesn't damage them. 

Offline Practical Shooter

• Life's just too short
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 04:38:01 PM »
All that being said, don't spend too much time worrying about what powder you end up with, they will all be close enough to work fine for your needs, and your time will be better spent actually practicing instead of doing load development.

That is the best answer I have seen so far.
The differences in powders are so close, in the end, they will all work well.

Offline J Lee

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 06:50:57 PM »
HP-38/231 has worked really well for me with the PD 124 JHP, one of my favorite loads.  I only use WSF for heavier bullets like the SNS 147gr, which BTW is a good combo.
James