Author Topic: Question for all of you Mega Safe Owners......  (Read 954 times)

Offline RockSemiAuto

Question for all of you Mega Safe Owners......
« on: February 17, 2018, 03:13:18 PM »
I currently own a Liberty Revolution but have run out of room. I really had no concerns in regards to weight because the Revolution only weighs 380 pounds. I just ordered a Liberty Fatboy Extreme which weighs 905 pounds. On top of the weight the ability for this safe to hold almost four times as much guns and ammo as my current Revolution makes me concerned about weight. The safe will be in the office of a first floor ranch with a full basement. I called Liberty with my concerns and was told that as long as the safe was against an outer wall of the house that the basement foundation wall and existing beams would offer enough support to not be an issue. I know this answer came straight from Liberty but just thinking that this could be about 2000 pounds of weight once guns and ammo is added in a small amount of space still gives me caution. Any information you can provide in regards to your experience with oversized safes would be appreciated to ease any lingering concerns of mine.

One more thing, Liberty suggested putting some type of rubber or cork mat underneath the safe to prevent moisture from building between the bottom of the safe and the laminate floor. Have any of you taken this step or heard of any moisture being a concern underneath the safe?

Thanks for any advice or input you can offer!

Offline Sacred-Avenger

Question for all of you Mega Safe Owners......
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 06:22:18 PM »
This site does a really nice job of explaining how the weight is distributed. Like Liberty said, closer to a foundation wall is typically where you can have more weight. Also, if you can see your floor joists in the basement, the more joists that are directly under the safe the better. That said you have a plywood subfloor which also distributes the weight over the joints so it?s more theoretical that the more joists under the safe the better.

https://www.deansafe.com/will-my-floor-support-a-safe.html

Offline 2bfree

Re: Question for all of you Mega Safe Owners......
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 06:54:10 PM »
Just for kicks.
Even though the old hardside waterbeds could weigh as much as two thousand pounds (2000lbs), a house that has been inspected and passed all modern building codes should be able to handle the load. This is because the waterbed weight is distributed over a broad area.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: Question for all of you Mega Safe Owners......
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 07:28:49 PM »
Several thoughts.....

? My Liberty safe is full... not of guns, but of my wife's chocolates, which she buys and then insist that I lock up where she can't have but one a day ! Anyway instead of a BIG safe, I thought to buy a nearly identical size next time. My thinking is... if thieves break in they probably figure they can enter one safe in the 30 minutes they have. Then they might spend 45 minutes deciding which safe to break into.  ;D

? Your major concern for loss of personal property is NOT theft, but fire. Placing the safe in the basement will double the fire rating since a concrete floor poses no fire issue. Place the safe in a corner of the basement and you might triple the fire protection.

? The most common fire protection used in gun safes is simply sheet rock. If you can build your safe into a closet with 2 or 3 layers of sheet rock you can increase the fire protection that way too.

? My safe sits on a scrap piece of cheap carpet. The carpet is slick and allowed me to make minor adjustments to the safe's location very easily. When finally located, the anchors went through the carpet and into the floor. Then I trimmed the excess off by going around the periphery. The carpet, being cheap synthetic, does not attract humidity or hold water.

I used a dozen 5/16" dowel rods to roll my safe to its location. So the carpet was about the same thickness and made transfer easy. It also kept from scuffing the painted bottom on the concrete. Rust, once started, is very hard to stop. There are numerous other cheap water barriers, like roofing felt.

? There are pre-made adjustable steel poles you can place in your basement to shore up the floor in that area. Before you install the safe, place a level on the floor and take some readings... or lay some marbles on the floor and see if they start to roll. Then do the same afterward. See "Jack Posts" Here

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 07:59:48 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

anything