Author Topic: Someone left me a present...with a butterfly on it  (Read 3058 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Someone left me a present...with a butterfly on it
« on: February 18, 2018, 04:46:39 AM »
I found a Benchmade Auto Stryker left in a locker I was using. Called the person who had that locker last, and they swore they hadn't left anything in it. It was shoved in a corner where it was VERY hard to see, and I found it completely by accident, so it could have been there a long time.
 I don't have a picture here to post, but picture an Auto Stryker - now abuse it. The previous owner used the hilt as a hammer once or eighteen times, and it has plenty of character wear, as well as scratches on the blade, (anodizing? Paint? What is that finish?) from plenty of hard use. The blade has a couple of small nicks near the tip, but it's still sharp. It was VERY slow opening, needed a little oil to smooth out and speed it back up to what I saw online. That part makes me wonder just how long it was sitting tucked away in that dark corner...Oh, yes, auto knives are completely legal down here - my favorite LGS has a display of $6 mini switchblades at the counter next to the register, one last piece of Chinese junk to buy on the way out. :D
 So, long story short - would a regular local knife sharpener, a professional, be able to remove those nicks? I was looking at maybe having Benchmade do a kind of restore, but the website says original purchaser only, and automatic knives have to go through an authorized dealer, can't ship it myself. This is actually my second Benchmade, and the other one, a Resistor, was a gift, so seeing what they actually cost was quite a sticker shock - I had only been carrying a Leatherman before that gentleman gifted me the Resistor.
It was a weird ending to a weird day, including driving home very slowly in dense fog...in AZ.

Offline eastman

Re: Someone left me a present...with a butterfly on it
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 10:12:22 PM »
Depending on how much metal is missing from the nicks will determine how much regrinding is necessary. Really deep edge nicks will require a little re-profiling of that side of the blade, but nothing a professional shouldn't be able to fix.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 10:29:50 PM »
Right near the tip and you have to get close to see them.

Offline cntrydawwwg

Someone left me a present...with a butterfly on it
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:10:29 PM »
Tried zooming in on my phone, but don?t see anything really. I bet a professional could clean it up.

As a side note, if you haven?t ever used a Lansky sharpener I?d look into one. Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B8IEA4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_B0KIAbJJT6ZKK
   Tried a bunch of different sharpeners, can?t use a stone to save my life (always screw up the angle)
   This was probably one of the best things I?ve ever spent money on. As Geico would say, ?So easy a Caveman can do it?!
With the course stone, easy to change to a different angle or clean up an edge. Works great for serrated edges with the proper stone. I can actually shave my arm with my hunting knives now.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline copemech

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 11:26:07 PM »
I think I recall benchmade doing them free if you send it O0

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 12:13:01 AM »
Or you could get a new blade under ?non warranty?
 From Benchmade site
...... ?Blade replacement costs for non-warranty repairs (subject to availability) are $30 for satin blade and $40 for a black blade...? http://www.benchmade.com/media/forms/Warranty_Service_Letter.pdf
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 12:26:41 AM »
Like Country said^^^^,  I can't see any significant knicks near the tip with your pic..
You could find a reputable knife sharpener and just bring it back to a really sharp edge and then relook at those knicks and see if a couple of sharpenings over time would get rid of them.

Auto knives aren't sold here,  but my Kershaw is very fast if kept clean....which I do.  It's my EDC and gets used daily.

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 12:57:59 AM »
+1 on the replacement blade.

The forward-most large serration has quite the chip out of it. By the time that serration is reprofiled it is going to be way out of line with the rest of the large serrations.
When the knock on the door said “Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms,” naturally I thought it was a delivery…

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 11:52:27 AM »
I wasn't ever looking at the serrated edge, good catch. I usually don't like serrated blades, but I didn't argue for free. I'll check with the local Benchmade dealer we have about the replacement blade. The photo cropped too much - the pommel has flattening where it was used as a hammer more than once, but it's perfectly usable.

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »
My guess is that forward serration was used as a wire stripper.
When the knock on the door said “Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms,” naturally I thought it was a delivery…

Offline ssqman

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »
I've sent a couple to Benchmade for the $5 sharpening. Took maybe 10 days. They are a great company. Don't be surprised if you send it in to be "sharpened" and get it back with a new blade.
No, Google is not my friend

Offline cremaley

• Retired but not forgotten
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 02:05:17 PM »
Benchmade has outstanding customer service.
CZ 10-PC 9mm (HBI Trigger, CGW Striker 3lb spring, GGI Stainless Guide Rod 15lb spring)
Sig Sauer P365 9mm
Sig Sauer P320 X Carry 9mm
Springfield 911 .380
"Remember the first rule of gunfighting...have a gun"-Jeff Cooper

Offline eastman

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 10:00:37 PM »
I think I recall benchmade doing them free if you send it O0

But it has to be sent in by a Benchmade authorized dealer, otherwise they won't return an automatic.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 11:09:55 PM »
My LGS is an authorized dealer.  8)

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 11:21:53 PM »
Benchmade does have excellent customer service. They are by far my favorite production knife. If you don't want to go the factory route and are willing to pay the postage, I can take care of that in about two minutes. I was plant manager for a well known knife company in the Northwest whose name starts with a K. There were days when I'd have to fill in and sharpen a hundred or so customer's knives. You wouldn't believe the condition of some of those knives.
No matter where you're going, there you are.

anything