Author Topic: I armored my son's backpack  (Read 2318 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: I armored my son's backpack
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 08:00:01 PM »
The Ar500 plate weighs about 7.5 pounds, including spall coating. It's not the big backpack plate, but the smaller vest plate, all I had on me. AR500.com does make a backpack sized plate that I am going to look into - this is stopgap.
As skinny as that kid is, he could probably fold his whole body behind it, though. ;)

Offline K3JB

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 08:55:55 PM »
I would be doing the same thing, good on you !!
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline joedirt199

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 12:30:35 PM »
https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-body-armor/level-iii-lightweight-body-armor.html

They now have muh lighter and thinner rigle rated armor. Just bought a swimmer cut lightweight front and back to replace my old heavy ar500 plates and vest. Much lighter for emergencies in my patrol vehicle. Duct taped and old kevlar vest to the outside for spawl protection. Still lighter than the old ar500 plates.
God created Police so Fireman would have heroes

In God we Trust, everyone else gets searched.

Offline ssqman

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 02:01:52 PM »
That is great thinking.Already having spare plating is a bonus. I didn't know plates even went up to level 5.
No, Google is not my friend

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 11:49:16 PM »
I saw the same video - my son's school eliminated books. Everything goes on a school provided laptop, which really cuts down on costs after the laptops are paid off. So his backpack has practically nothing in it, plenty of space/weight to play with. :)
OTOH, I would never bet on a book as body armor...unless it's a Bible.

Offline GRU7_Mike

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 10:47:53 AM »
Great idea....unless your child is in a school district where back packs are prohibited.  Not only that, but they must carry all class books with them all day long and no stopping at the lockers during the day except at lunchtime. This prevents hanging around lockers where fights start, bad things happen and prevents students from being late to the next class.  But...on the bright side..... it is a GUN FREE SCHOOL for the safety of the children >:(.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 12:38:37 AM »
I wasn't trying to imply that a book was better than armor.

I was saying that a book was better than nothing.

Oh, absolutely, I'm sorry if I misspoke. Anything is better than nothing and if it's what you have, that's what you have. I know some of my books back in the day were thick enough to stop a 37mm anti tank round! :)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 12:43:12 AM »
Great idea....unless your child is in a school district where back packs are prohibited.  Not only that, but they must carry all class books with them all day long and no stopping at the lockers during the day except at lunchtime. This prevents hanging around lockers where fights start, bad things happen and prevents students from being late to the next class.  But...on the bright side..... it is a GUN FREE SCHOOL for the safety of the children >:(.

Yes, some places do ban back packs, and then I guess the only thing left would be a concealable vest, and I don't know any teen who would wear soft armor all day long at school, or put up with the ribbing from his/her peers over it. I hope nobody notices his setup - I don't want him getting called out for being "scared" or any other ridiculous peer pressure that makes him want to get rid of it. Kids can be callous cruel and stupid - that's why we don't let 'em vote.
AR500.com does make specific plates for backpacks, too.
https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-body-armor/backpack-armor/ar500-armor-backpack-plate.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:45:40 AM by armoredman »

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 01:02:09 AM »
Probably not a bad idea but until we stop trying to alleviate the EFFECT and address CAUSE of the sickness that has been infecting this society for the last 50 years or so none of us are truly safe or immune from these tragedies.

Truth.

GS
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader -