Author Topic: anyone considering running the Ruger PC carbine for 3 gun?  (Read 4220 times)

Offline LukeB

Re: anyone considering running the Ruger PC carbine for 3 gun?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 05:26:04 PM »
I think we added it at ours after enough people asked for it. It started with just one or two and now we have about half a dozen each match. It is really interesting to see all the different styles and types of carbine people have.

Offline pdq5oh

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2018, 09:16:39 PM »
I bought a PC9 and have about 150 rounds thru it so far. Zero issues or malfunctions. I ran 147 HP reloads, 124 +P HP Hornady ammo, 115 & 124 reloads in various charge weights. Everything ran fine. With the iron sights and my poor eyesight it's plenty accurate enough to 50 yds. I plan to put on a 1-6 scope and shoot to 200 and see what it does.
Phil

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2018, 09:03:32 AM »
Well, finally had a chance to go shoot my Ruger Carbine after it's second trip back from Ruger. They replaced the barrel with a new one, and once again had the same failure. Now I have to contact them to see what my options are since this will be the third time it will be going back. I am going to try and make a tutorial Friday night of how to recreate this issue, since I've been able to do it with multiple carbines. I'm leaning towards either my receiver is out of spec now, or a design flaw if I can produce it with multiple carbines.

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2018, 07:48:59 PM »
Well, finally had a chance to go shoot my Ruger Carbine after it's second trip back from Ruger. They replaced the barrel with a new one, and once again had the same failure. Now I have to contact them to see what my options are since this will be the third time it will be going back. I am going to try and make a tutorial Friday night of how to recreate this issue, since I've been able to do it with multiple carbines. I'm leaning towards either my receiver is out of spec now, or a design flaw if I can produce it with multiple carbines.

Turns out they want to see the carbine (Just fedex overnight shipped it with their provided label), and when they receive it... "Management will make a decision" what that entails I do not know. Anyhow all you have to do is try to rotate the stock out while firing like you would when taking it down, just don't use the takedown lever to do it.

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 10:59:48 AM »
Did you ever try to take it down without locking the bolt back?  Maybe that could have messed something up?

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 11:59:53 AM »
Did you ever try to take it down without locking the bolt back?  Maybe that could have messed something up?

I believe that is impossible, since the top of the chamber mates with the bolt face, there is a male to female component lock up designed there.

As seen above the feed ramp in this picture. https://imgur.com/SM3Ylh0

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 12:34:58 PM »

I believe that is impossible, since the top of the chamber mates with the bolt face, there is a male to female component lock up designed there.

That's why I asked, like maybe it was somehow forced in/out and screwed something up.

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »

That's why I asked, like maybe it was somehow forced in/out and screwed something up.

Nope, the issue lies within the takedown on the forend assembly. They use a tapered pin that mates with a recessed section of the receiver, unfortunately the taper is too long and will always walk itself out. They designed it to be easy to takedown, but it makes it easy to come apart while firing also.

Offline newageroman

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2018, 03:37:28 PM »
Crap, Well keep us posted. especially if you make a video on it. I put one on layaway last week and hoping to pick it up next friday. I'm looking forward to loading one bullet for both carbine and pistol.

I hope Ruger treats you right. Have you read about this problem on any other forums?

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 03:51:54 PM »
Crap, Well keep us posted. especially if you make a video on it. I put one on layaway last week and hoping to pick it up next friday. I'm looking forward to loading one bullet for both carbine and pistol.

I hope Ruger treats you right. Have you read about this problem on any other forums?

I have not seen any mention of it anywhere else, I suspect it is due to the popularity of public range users and very few competitive users. When running it hard in USPSA/Steel Challenge is where the issue became obvious for me. I have a video on my phone just have to upload it after work.

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 05:37:51 PM »
As promised here are the videos.

Offline newageroman

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2018, 09:46:55 AM »
well dang. thanks for posting the vid. I'll have to check that.

Offline newageroman

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2018, 06:33:34 PM »
ran the PC Carbine in USPSA this weekend. no issues. I didn't think to torque the barrel during firing like you have demonstrated, I'll try that next time and see what happens.

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2018, 11:34:05 AM »
Ok so I have a little update. My father (machinist) was able to cure the problem of the forend coming loose. I'm in talks with Rugers PCC group leader on how to correct this for the future. What it comes down to is that they used the same takedown mechanism on a 10/22 and adapted it to the PC9. Unfortunately the extreme taper on the locking lever does not provide enough of a positive lock while firing a 9mm vs a .22lr to keep the two pieces together. I'll update again with the fix but after I'm finished talking to Ruger. I have now owned the carbine for two months and shot all of 40 rounds through it with three trips back to Ruger. With the fix I have now fired over 400 rounds in two days with zero issues. I took second in PCC in my first ever USPSA match with a rifle as well as 1st in PCCO and high overall in a Steel Challenge match out of 70 shooters. I hope to have more info soon, but I'm just glad we were able to get it running correctly.

Offline Dan_69GTX

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »
Around here all 3-gun matches require more than a PCC.  The shortest rifle distance is about 100 yards.  The last match there were several out to 515 yards.  I initially considered using a M1 carbine, but that wouldn't cut it at those distances. 

Where in the country are you that 3-gun rifle isn't really a long distance?

I'm shoot in VA, and WV.
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.