Author Topic: anyone considering running the Ruger PC carbine for 3 gun?  (Read 12694 times)

Offline RocketRyan

Re: anyone considering running the Ruger PC carbine for 3 gun?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 11:26:39 AM »
Unfortunately the same issue is happening. They replaced the takedown block in the receiver. It turns out in swapping barrels/receivers around with a buddy that has one, my barrel is out of spec and doesn't fully insert into either of our receivers. So now I have to go full circle with Ruger again and see what they want to do. It will be for sale after I get the barrel issue taken care of. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars going to a match and not fully trusting that it won't have the same issue if I am pushing it hard.

Offline volbagman

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 12:12:52 PM »
dang, that sucks. now I'm worried. knew I should have waited longer

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 12:38:20 PM »
Sorry to hear about that.  Mine's been running like a champ, but I don't blame you for flipping yours since it's left such a sour taste.

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 03:43:20 PM »
hmmm. good to know, thanks for the followup. I got to shoot one this weekend and I'm still sold on it. LGS is having a big sale in a couple of weeks, I'm squirrleing until then. Is this a problem that can be spotted before purchase (putting it together at the counter)?

I also heard about a guy with a barrel that was out of spec, but it was some errant rifling.

Anyone else know of any issues to lookout for?
Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline volbagman

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 03:52:54 PM »
I shot mine again this weekend am really no longer worried. The gun ran perfectly. Very accurate at 50 yards. Although I find the front post difficult to acquire. Trying to decide if I want an optic for it.

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 12:44:48 PM »
I shot mine again this weekend am really no longer worried. The gun ran perfectly. Very accurate at 50 yards. Although I find the front post difficult to acquire. Trying to decide if I want an optic for it.
Do it.  I ran a Vortex Venom and now a C-More, and it doesn't miss.

Offline volbagman

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 01:15:12 PM »
will either of those co witness with the iron sights? I like to keep irons available in case optics fail. Or I guess I could get some offset irons

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 05:51:25 PM »
will either of those co witness with the iron sights? I like to keep irons available in case optics fail. Or I guess I could get some offset irons
No, not with their standard picatinny rail mounts.  If that's the case, then something with a see-through riser I guess.

Offline volbagman

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 07:58:49 AM »
I might get the Bushnell that was on the Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore email yesterday. At $35, it is so inexpensive. Surely it will work on something if not the PC9

Offline LukeB

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 01:08:20 PM »
Since they added PCC to IDPA I've been tempted to try my Hipoint 9mm carbine out. It's not the prettiest gun (by a long shot) but it shoots great and it would be a lot of fun!

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 03:10:36 PM »
Yeah, I'm considering shooting my PCC at a local IDPA if they allow it.  It's not offered as a division option during registration.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:30:36 PM by MoRivera »

Offline LukeB

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 05:26:04 PM »
I think we added it at ours after enough people asked for it. It started with just one or two and now we have about half a dozen each match. It is really interesting to see all the different styles and types of carbine people have.

Offline pdq5oh

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 09:16:39 PM »
I bought a PC9 and have about 150 rounds thru it so far. Zero issues or malfunctions. I ran 147 HP reloads, 124 +P HP Hornady ammo, 115 & 124 reloads in various charge weights. Everything ran fine. With the iron sights and my poor eyesight it's plenty accurate enough to 50 yds. I plan to put on a 1-6 scope and shoot to 200 and see what it does.
Phil

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 09:03:32 AM »
Well, finally had a chance to go shoot my Ruger Carbine after it's second trip back from Ruger. They replaced the barrel with a new one, and once again had the same failure. Now I have to contact them to see what my options are since this will be the third time it will be going back. I am going to try and make a tutorial Friday night of how to recreate this issue, since I've been able to do it with multiple carbines. I'm leaning towards either my receiver is out of spec now, or a design flaw if I can produce it with multiple carbines.

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2018, 07:48:59 PM »
Well, finally had a chance to go shoot my Ruger Carbine after it's second trip back from Ruger. They replaced the barrel with a new one, and once again had the same failure. Now I have to contact them to see what my options are since this will be the third time it will be going back. I am going to try and make a tutorial Friday night of how to recreate this issue, since I've been able to do it with multiple carbines. I'm leaning towards either my receiver is out of spec now, or a design flaw if I can produce it with multiple carbines.

Turns out they want to see the carbine (Just fedex overnight shipped it with their provided label), and when they receive it... "Management will make a decision" what that entails I do not know. Anyhow all you have to do is try to rotate the stock out while firing like you would when taking it down, just don't use the takedown lever to do it.