Author Topic: Witness P-S - Jam & Feed Ramp Angle  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Stan Marsh

Witness P-S - Jam & Feed Ramp Angle
« on: March 01, 2018, 12:25:01 AM »
 So my new witness is now performing flawlessly with a Mec-Gar CZ75B 19 round mag.

I did have one FTF with a the 17 round version of the above.  It followed what distinctively felt like a soft UMC JHP.  Below the next few photos are shots of the FTF.  I'll be steering clear of UMC from here on out.  But all along I've been wondering...

Are all Witness ramps this steep?

And the FTF...

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:48:27 PM by Stan Marsh »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: Witness P-S - Jam & Feed Ramp Angle
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 11:01:50 AM »
At this posting, some of your pics are not coming through.

To answer your question, yes, your Witnesses Feed Ramp Angle is typical of all Witnesses and even most semi-auto Pistols, which are dependent on their Barrels camming down to feed.

The last Photo, which did come through seems like the Barrel is not camming down as it should.  Make sure there are no burrs in the Kidney Shaped Barrel Underlug, although that will smoothen out with use.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Stan Marsh

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 03:46:23 PM »
At this posting, some of your pics are not coming through...

How 'bout now?

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 06:01:31 PM »
How 'bout now?

There we go!  All pics visible now.

The inside if that Barrel Underlug could be a bit smoother than it looks.  A little polishing would not hurt it.  Also, very slight beveling of the lower edges of the Barrel/Chamber Entry would not hurt matters.

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Stan Marsh

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 07:19:48 PM »
Roger that.  Thanks, Double-Oh-Sebm!

Offline DWARREN

• Old & Tired
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 11:24:46 PM »
Looks like mine but I don't have problems with feeding.
"1776" - Part II

Offline GMSPCR

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 12:43:36 AM »
Here are some pictures from my Witness Match.

Looks about the same to me. I have not had any problems with mine yet but I only have about 500 rounds through it.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 02:47:01 PM »
Looks like mine but I don't have problems with feeding.

I have not had any problems with mine yet but I only have about 500 rounds through it.

Chances are, if you have not had feeding issues by now, you won't have any in the Future, provided proper maintenance is done.

Stan - Another item to check is clearance between the Frame Barrel Supports and the Barrel Underlug.  Make sure that the Barrel moves fairly freely.

Without the Barrel and Recoil Spring installed, the Slide should move fairly free.  With the just Barrel installed, the Slide should move just as freely.
If not, the sides of the Barrel Underlug may be rubbing against the Frame Barrel Supports.  Your Barrel Underlug does look a bit on the rough side.

The cure:  Sanding the sides of the Barrel Underlug with 320 grit wet/dry, removing a few thousandths, till Barrel moves freely.
Note: You don't want to remove much metal here!

Also Note:  If this is not an issue, don't bother with it!!!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 02:54:09 PM by jwc007 »

Offline Stan Marsh

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 10:43:16 AM »
...Stan - Another item to check is clearance between the Frame Barrel Supports and the Barrel Underlug.  Make sure that the Barrel moves fairly freely.

Without the Barrel and Recoil Spring installed, the Slide should move fairly free.  With the just Barrel installed, the Slide should move just as freely.
If not, the sides of the Barrel Underlug may be rubbing against the Frame Barrel Supports.  Your Barrel Underlug does look a bit on the rough side.

The cure:  Sanding the sides of the Barrel Underlug with 320 grit wet/dry, removing a few thousandths, till Barrel moves freely.
Note: You don't want to remove much metal here!

Also Note:  If this is not an issue, don't bother with it!!!  ;)

Roger that.  I'll check that out.

Thanks, everyone!

anything