Author Topic: 2003 Rami 40 cal  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Cz1961

2003 Rami 40 cal
« on: March 01, 2018, 07:32:07 PM »
Hello Everyone.
This is my first post here at czfirearms.

I am hoping to receive experienced advice from those of you who are knowledgeable in answering my question.
I purchased a used CZ Rami 40 two weeks ago from a local gun shop and range that I was told has been sitting in the show case for a long time. From my research this pistol was manufactured in 2003 and I have no history associated with this Rami when I purchased it. The bore to me looks very clean and in great condition. The feed ramp was very nice and I polished it with Mother?s mag. Although it probably did not need it.
I purchased two new oem cz 8 round magazines and a new recoil captured spring from CGW. After my purchase I read a lot of reviews and posts in forums about the early production runs having issues.
My main question is this.
What else if anything should I check before going to the range and punching some holes with this Rami.
Just asking for the obvious things to look for. I?m not asking to break it down to bare bones.
Your suggestion would be appreciated.
Thank you.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 05:22:11 AM by Cz1961 »

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
Re: 2003 Rami 40 cal
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 05:35:30 AM »
Congratulations on your find! 

I have been looking for one of those for a while.

While in the CZ 2075 RAMI CLUB section of the board, the SEARCH feature of the sight, enter the word "problems" and it will search the sub-board section for all the message threads where someone used the word problem.  This is one of the greater features of the Forum.

When I was researching RAMIs (quite some time ago) I remember that the only problems people reported were:

1. Harder than heck to take down, so usually there was a lot of blemish marks around the take-down pin recess hole.

2. Occasional FTFs on brand new guns and mags, but going away after cleaning and break-in.  This is what I experienced on my CZ 2075 RAMI BD (9mm).  It now shoots flawlessly.

Once again, congratulations on a good find!

CZ24/27/38/40P/45/52, Vzor 50/70,75BΩ,75D Compact,P01/07/09,P10M/S/C/F(9mm,.45), Phantom,SP01 Tactical,Shadow 2 (Blue,Urban Gray), 82/83/85 PreB, 97BE,97BD,97BDE,100,1911A1, 2075D RAMI,452 American,550 Urban Counter Sniper,805 Bren S1,Drake G2,Duo,Z,vz24 8mm Mauser,FK 7.5 BRNO Field Pistol, PSD

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 07:15:58 AM »
Weren't there problems with the polymer framed RAMIs, with some bulging that led to discontinuing them.  That frame there looks metal,  no?

Offline Cz1961

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 07:52:03 AM »
Yes, it is metal

Offline Ruber

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 09:26:39 AM »
Congratulations!  My ?04 RAMI was my first CZ pistol and still really has the best trigger out of my -b CZ?s.

You?ve replaced most of the issue springs, so you should have reduced potential ftf?s quite a bit.

Take a look at the two recoil spring sets.  The original captive guide rod and washer on mine disassembled very easily, making it easy to change springs only.  I have not handled the new ones, but from photos and descriptions, that seems more difficult to do.  So hold onto your original setup.

Even after fresh springs, I was experiencing nose dives with heavy hunting ammo (mostly 180+ grain lead), but lighter SD ammo ran perfectly.

My 2004 gun certainly has better fit and finish than any of my more recent CZ?s.  So once mags and springs were dealt with, I didn?t have any of the typical issues with ejector, breech face lead in, firing pin hole, etc.

Sooo.... after your cleaning and spring replacement, I?d go shoot it.  Enjoy!

Offline Cz1961

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »
Congratulations!  My ?04 RAMI was my first CZ pistol and still really has the best trigger out of my -b CZ?s.

You?ve replaced most of the issue springs, so you should have reduced potential ftf?s quite a bit.

Take a look at the two recoil spring sets.  The original captive guide rod and washer on mine disassembled very easily, making it easy to change springs only.  I have not handled the new ones, but from photos and descriptions, that seems more difficult to do.  So hold onto your original setup.

Even after fresh springs, I was experiencing nose dives with heavy hunting ammo (mostly 180+ grain lead), but lighter SD ammo ran perfectly.

My 2004 gun certainly has better fit and finish than any of my more recent CZ?s.  So once mags and springs were dealt with, I didn?t have any of the typical issues with ejector, breech face lead in, firing pin hole, etc.

Sooo.... after your cleaning and spring replacement, I?d go shoot it.  Enjoy!

Thank you for the information. I?m not sure if the recoil spring set that came with the Rami is original but I will check it out sometime. The finish on this rami seems better than the 9mm Rami I purchased a couple months ago new, 2017. Seems thicker.
I also noticed that the 2003 Rami has the same trigger design but does not have the beveled areas on the end of the trigger like the 2017 Rami which bites my finger. I will change it out with the 85c combat trigger or the old style 85 trigger if it is a simple take out and replace on the 2017 Rami. I have to research if it is an easy switch.
This is new stuff to me.
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:23:45 PM by Cz1961 »

Offline MJZZZ

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 10:22:28 AM »
I also own an 03 Rami 40 cal, it is factory marked blemished gun my FFL bought directly from CZ in 04, he offered it to me as a package deal when I picked up my 04 P01. The first time I shot it I had a couple of FTF issues, but after a vigorous buffing of the feed ramp those issues were done. Also while cleaning after my first range trip I found a small amount of metal shavings in the gun. I had CZ check it out and they found no issues that would affect reliability. I still own it and have not had any problems but I do slather the grease on it before shooting, way more than my Rami BD. I admit it is a peppy shooter especially with +p ammo.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

anything