Author Topic: Red dot on a 75 compact  (Read 39610 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Red dot on a 75 compact
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 06:39:48 PM »
I'm interested in that J-Point sight, for my new P01, but I don't want it way up in the air off the slide.

Also, I'm wondering about it's durability as compared to the RMR and the DP Pro.  From the one source I read that is very red dot/pistol oriented (as in anyone who doesn't see the advantages and take them is just crazy/stupid) they are saying the RMR is the most durable, followed by the DP Pro, followed by the J-point. 

Didn't the makers of the J-Point just come out with a new/tougher red dot sight?  I seem to remember hearing something about that a few weeks back.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline inletman

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 08:41:12 PM »
I'm planning to put Tru Glo TFX PRO sights on my new P-01. Have had them on a couple of my M&P's and liked them very much.

Am I missing something with so many going with Red dot....as you probably can tell, I am no sight expert, but I sure pick up that orange front sight with the Tru Glo....and of course, they are night sights.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 09:17:26 PM »
I'm interested in that J-Point sight, for my new P01, but I don't want it way up in the air off the slide.

Also, I'm wondering about it's durability as compared to the RMR and the DP Pro.  From the one source I read that is very red dot/pistol oriented (as in anyone who doesn't see the advantages and take them is just crazy/stupid) they are saying the RMR is the most durable, followed by the DP Pro, followed by the J-point. 

Didn't the makers of the J-Point just come out with a new/tougher red dot sight?  I seem to remember hearing something about that a few weeks back.
M1A4ME, There is another thread discussing a Shield milled onto a P-01. The Shield RMS is the newer all-metal version of the JPoint and it's probably THE best set-up on a P-01. Check out that thread.

I was trying to experiment with a RDS on my P-01 before I milled it permanently; and the JPoint and Leupold mount set-up gave me that opportunity. The problem with the DPPro is that it's so tall and large on a compact; and the pricey RMR requires an additional Trijicon mounting plate for another $200 bucks in addition to the milling cost. Hey, if money is no object, go for the RMR but the Shield is small enough to mill in front of the stock rear sight using those sights for BUIS; it looks like a very nice setup.

I have a bunch of different pistols with RDS; and I have to say I really, really, like the RDS on my P-01. With the +2 16 round magazine it does it all.

Now that I've tried it and the Shield has come down in price to about $350; I think my next step will be to have Primary mill my other P-01 for a Shield; with no extra plate required, just cost of milling and refinishing slide.

However, I'm probably going to keep the JPoint on my SP-01 as the longer slide did NOT require the 2 'wedgies' and it sits low enough to only require a .275 tall front sight to provide lower 1/3 co-witness BUIS.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 08:11:03 AM by Vinny »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Vinny

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 09:29:11 PM »
I'm planning to put Tru Glo TFX PRO sights on my new P-01. Have had them on a couple of my M&P's and liked them very much.

Am I missing something with so many going with Red dot....as you probably can tell, I am no sight expert, but I sure pick up that orange front sight with the Tru Glo....and of course, they are night sights.

If your eyes are still good, the TFX are among the best irons. But, IF your eyes are as old as mine; you will definitely find a big advantage to RDS. I mounted the TFX Pros on my other P-01 and as good as they are; NO WAY can I shoot as fast or as accurately as my P-01 with RDS (after some practice getting used to presenting the dot). However, I want the RDS and BUIS too if it's a defensive pistol. YMMV
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 08:17:55 AM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 09:38:59 PM »
What I tell people about "the dot" is that if I lose my glasses I cannot see the front sight at all against the target.  But I can see a blurry dot and put it on the target.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 09:54:25 PM »

Last I checked I had 20/10 vision. If someone has 20/20 they have to move up to 10 feet to see what I see clearly at 20 feet. So I don?t have old eyes yet, just an old back and old ears. I can see iron sights well, but once I tried a pistol with a red dot it only took me a few weeks to get one for one of my CZ?s. That thing is just fantastic.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline inletman

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 09:15:30 PM »
showing my ignorance-what is big advantage of red dot over other good sights?

got email from Tactical Alerts - huge special-Reflex Red Dot Sight - military grade technology-must have a Weaver or Picatinny rail to mount. "Just put dot on what you want to hit, and squeeze the trigger"..special is price-$39.95 Anyone know the deal on this (oh, 60 day guarantee also)- supposed to improve your shooting dramatically??

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 09:51:28 PM »
Inletman, a red dot allows you to look though the lens and focus solely on the target as opposed to the front sight. As our eyes age, we loose the ability to focus on more than one object so front sight focus = blurred target, target focus = front sight blurred. Add in a rear sight and you have to really concentrate/train to focus on the correct plane. RDS makes it easy.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 10:39:10 PM »
showing my ignorance-what is big advantage of red dot over other good sights?

got email from Tactical Alerts - huge special-Reflex Red Dot Sight - military grade technology-must have a Weaver or Picatinny rail to mount. "Just put dot on what you want to hit, and squeeze the trigger"..special is price-$39.95 Anyone know the deal on this (oh, 60 day guarantee also)- supposed to improve your shooting dramatically??
Good quality inexpensive red dots are OK to try IF you mount them on the receiver or fixed barrel like a 22LR pistol's picatinny rail. IE: Ruger MK, Buckmark, SW 22 Victory. I have several Browning Reflex RDS I picked up for ~$40 mounted on my above 22LR pistol's.  Gave me a good opportunity to try a RDS and they still work fine two years later.

However, don't even think about mounting one on a 9mm semi-auto slide. The G-force is in the 1,000's as the slide moves back it will blow the RDS apart. For slide mounting you'll need a RDS built for 4000-5000 G's like a Trijicon RMR, Leupold Delta Point Pro, Vortex, Burris Fast Fire 3, etc.  These start about $200 and go up to $500+ 

It's OK to put your toe in. The water's fine!
Hope this info helps.  -Vinny
"Carpe Diem"

Offline baldrage

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 04:27:40 PM »
I have never had an opportunity to hold a pistol with a RDS, so I'm thinking about the cheapest, easiest way I could experiment to see if this is something I would like. 

I have an SP01 Shadow and a Kadet kit.

Would it be possible to use this mount on the Kadet slide:

https://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc;jsessionid=0B356586687147CEBAEA509582E3E151.p3plqscsfapp001?productId=261

And put a cheapo RDS like the Browning Reflex on it, just to try it out?

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 05:10:50 PM »
I have never had an opportunity to hold a pistol with a RDS, so I'm thinking about the cheapest, easiest way I could experiment to see if this is something I would like. 

I have an SP01 Shadow and a Kadet kit.

Would it be possible to use this mount on the Kadet slide:

https://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc;jsessionid=0B356586687147CEBAEA509582E3E151.p3plqscsfapp001?productId=261

And put a cheapo RDS like the Browning Reflex on it, just to try it out?
You'll need the mount for the Shadow rear sight dovetail. I have this mount on my Kadet w/ a Burris FF3. It works well for Bullseye, but not practical shooting. I wouldn't suggest trying anything cheaper than the FF3 or a vortex red dot. If you should try it and not like it, you can sell them for a small loss. The loss will likely be less than a cheap red dot that you'll be stuck with(if it holds up).

Offline Vinny

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2019, 08:56:13 AM »
Just thought I should update this old post showing a good solution for a 75 compact RDS.
CZC milled my P-01 for their multi-optic plate and I mounted a Vortex Venom. The Venom has two vertical 'goal post' lines on the back that serve nicely as my rear BUIS with the correct height front to 'lower-1/3 co-witness'.

There are others that can mill your optic to mount directly onto the slide; which is also a solid solution. However, as there are constant improvements in electronics; I wanted the option to go with a different optic in the future by just changing the mount plate. I've heard good things about the Holosun 507c which would fit same plate as an RMR so that would also be a good option using CZC's plate. I also understand that CGW offers the multi-plate. Two very good resources for quality CZ-75 milling! YMMV

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:33:53 AM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline EZ128

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2019, 09:00:48 PM »
Hi Vinny:

Thanks for the info on RDS. I recently got into it too because of older eyes. I used a rear sight dovetail plate on a SP01 Shadow and a Vortex venom. I found the set up is a bit high  and wish I could find a co-witness front sight. But everything I found seemed too short: even with Dawson Precision's 0.37 black sight. Any advice? Thanks!

Offline Vinny

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2019, 03:03:43 PM »
Hi Vinny:

Thanks for the info on RDS. I recently got into it too because of older eyes. I used a rear sight dovetail plate on a SP01 Shadow and a Vortex venom. I found the set up is a bit high  and wish I could find a co-witness front sight. But everything I found seemed too short: even with Dawson Precision's 0.37 black sight. Any advice? Thanks!
You can use Dawson's on-line sight height calculator to determine the additional height you need. Using whatever BUIS you currently have, measure the distance between your POA vs actual POI at a specific distance. Enter this data along with your sight radius and it will tell you how much ADDITIONAL front height you need.

However, if the pistol is just for range or competition and not for SD; you probably don't  NEED the BUIS anyhow. With both eyes focused on my target; I dry-fire practice at home presenting the dot, so I'm confident and NEVER even look at the irons. My speed and accuracy has improved significantly, and my 'ol eyes have thanked me.

Good luck in your journey.   -Vinny
"Carpe Diem"

Offline EZ128

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2019, 09:13:52 PM »
Thanks Vinny! Yes it is mostly for IPSC. Need to spend more time on practice like you said.

anything