Author Topic: What is up with all the DW issues these days?  (Read 10822 times)

Offline WVsig

What is up with all the DW issues these days?
« on: March 06, 2018, 09:13:31 PM »
I was looking at picking up a DW in 9mm either the discontinued Valkyrie or a Valor Commander and I keep reading about issues with new production. Guns shipping with sights that are hitting 4" high. Guns not feeding. People returning guns multiple times for the same issues. Have they increased production to a level of failure?
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Soren Kierkegaard
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Offline tgoldie00

Re: What is up with all the DW issues these days?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 09:17:34 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what forums are you reading about these issues? Are the feeding issues on pistols under 500 rounds? Service problems?

I ask not as someone disagreeing, but I legitimately haven?t been reading any unusual quantity of complaints across several 1911 sub-forums.

As to the model lineup changes, it appears there is a fairly robust lineup expansion for 2018, so it?s only natural a few models are discontinued. I bought 2 Valkyries myself when the sales started (one .45 and one 9mm). Both have been flawless since round 1.

Offline WVsig

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 09:57:34 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what forums are you reading about these issues? Are the feeding issues on pistols under 500 rounds? Service problems?

I ask not as someone disagreeing, but I legitimately haven?t been reading any unusual quantity of complaints across several 1911 sub-forums.

As to the model lineup changes, it appears there is a fairly robust lineup expansion for 2018, so it?s only natural a few models are discontinued. I bought 2 Valkyries myself when the sales started (one .45 and one 9mm). Both have been flawless since round 1.

https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52 one of the most active 1911 forums on the web.

Problems seems to range from sights too short and guns hitting 4" high at 10'. Thumb safeties ripping up peoples hands because they were not properly blended. Some guns just don't run. Lot of reports of magazine catch issues. The list goes on and on. I have always been a DW fan. Have owned and sold a few over the years but have always kept my first a classic CBOB, the poor man's Ed Brown.

I really want a commander 9mm but all these reports cause me concern.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Soren Kierkegaard
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Offline tgoldie00

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 10:26:11 PM »
Gotcha. I know the forum, and subjectively speaking find it to be the most negative of the major pistol forums out there in general, but that is just my opinion so YMMV. 

I have seen and read a couple of the examples I think you are referencing. I?m not saying they are wrong...but I feel there might be some replicative posting of the same problems...call it a game of telephone (my friend has XYZ problem).

I have found that 1911addicts is a bit less....emotional about brand loyalty and thus more objective. The owners there really understand 1911 and top-tier product, and it has perhaps the most amazing forum classified I have seen.

Perhaps pose the question there as well and see what happens as far as answers go. It would be interesting to juxtapose the two forum responses.

Offline WVsig

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:59:09 PM »
I understand th fickle nature of the 1911forum but 2-3 years ago you never saw those kinds of post anywhere about Dan Wesson 1911s. They were 100% the best $$$ to value to out of the box reliable 1911 on the market. As their price point and their volume has moved up it seems like the QC has slipped.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 11:52:03 PM »
These reports are not unfounded. My recently purchased Valor .45 rips a groove into my thumb by the 4th magazine,completely unblended thumb safety. The gun also is exceedingly magazine sensitive. random ftf's with the factory mags and it happens anywhere from fully loaded to the last rnd. Before anyone jumps on ammo it's not that. I've tried many loadings,hardball and hollow point with the same result. The gun will run best on some old GI mags,tried some chip Mccormicks and it will almost consistently choke on the final rnd with them. I'm at 1200 rnds now so it's well broken in. I'm deciding at this point if I like it well enough too send it in or just cut my losses and move on to something else.
My CZ 1911 A1 will run flawlessly on every mag that the Valor won't and same flawless performance with the same ammo that the Valor chokes on.
The gun is supremely accurate and fit and finish are more than acceptable so it does have that going for it.

Offline tgoldie00

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 07:08:52 AM »
Here is a disclaimer: I am not refuting the idea that there are quality issues objectively. Not even a little. My question is more one of volume and the psychology of forums.

Let?s assume that over the last 10 years Dan Wessons reputation has become well known, vs an insider secret. No doubt CZ marketing them had a lot to do with that. Their volume explodes - so yes it?s possible that some attention to detail goes out, or even worse, potentially one particular person who fits a series of parts does a bad job on hundreds of pistols. It happens.   Relative to volume, which likely doubles or triples, perhaps % of issues is the same or lower, but number of hits is up because of population growth. Possible as well.

Now who posts on forums, mostly? Perhaps 15% are hard-core posters with high counts, another 15% regulars who frequently post and are enthusiastic. The balance of 70%, I would wager, are folks doing 2 things...posting pics of new pistols or asking to help solve problems. In this light, who do you hear from mostly about a DW?

Again I am not refuting the claim that issues are on the rise or even legitimate. I am just providing some likely scenarios as to why you are seeing a spike in posts, that may OR may not explain an issue with DW.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 07:37:13 AM »
I'm not saying that qc issues are higher or anything along that line. Simply my experience with my gun which may not be typical as others have reported no issues. Probably one of the biggest problems DW has is the guns are not test fired in their "fully finished" form so some issues easily slip through the cracks. The 1911 platform is really out dated to start with and each gun requires it's own special tuning to run right. DW is not the only one. I've owned many 1911's over the years and the one thing they ALL had in common was the need for some specific tuning in certain areas.
DW claims more hand fitting and attention to detail but they are still mass production guns not full on hand built customs.
If I had to guess I'd say the DW rate of issues is no worse that any other and better than most. Colts are a joke and a half. I wouldn't own another of those at half price.

Offline tgoldie00

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 08:04:34 AM »
It?s interesting you mention the fitting process, and that is where all of the action happens (pun intended) for the 1911 platform.  On that note you and I are 100% aligned. 

Its funny sometimes across brands...when I buy a new 1911 I at a minimum field strip it and take a look at the internals at least on a high level.  As time goes on the list of things to check based on experience keeps getting longer and longer!  A fairly recent Kimber I thought was going to be great out of the box taught me to take an empty shell along to test extractor tension prior to transfer....and a Colt Delta Elite I picked up just to have a Colt, which looks a little rough around the edges internally, spins like a top.

1911 is almost more art than science vs. the plastic-fantastics...no doubt about it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:08:18 AM by tgoldie00 »

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 08:59:39 AM »
See and that's interesting because the only 1911 I never really had an issue with was a 90's era Kimber before they went to the 80 series action. That gun really ran nice and I miss it. Seems every one since then has needed a tweak in one area or another. I've had Colt,Kimber,Springfield Armory,DW. My CZ 1911 A1 need much tweaking but is outstanding now and one I'll not likely let go of.

Offline tgoldie00

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 09:31:30 AM »
See and that's interesting because the only 1911 I never really had an issue with was a 90's era Kimber before they went to the 80 series action. That gun really ran nice and I miss it. Seems every one since then has needed a tweak in one area or another. I've had Colt,Kimber,Springfield Armory,DW. My CZ 1911 A1 need much tweaking but is outstanding now and one I'll not likely let go of.
I think you hit the nail on the head for me as far as appeal for 1911 goes (because I am crazy).  I am a tinker-er.  I modify and tinker with my cars, I build and modify large Lego sets, I restore and hone antique straight razors.....I think I like to tinker a little bit, so having something out of the box that needs a little work (like my Kimber - which I sold), or my Colt (which will be getting some visual enhancements) seems to be appealing. 

That also explains why I carry my DW Valkyrie 9mm along with my VP9SK and Glock 43.....they all just work and have since day one.  Everything that doesn?t has its place in my collection, but not as an EDC.

Anyways sorry to OP for hijacking...back on topic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline WVsig

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 01:35:46 PM »
Well I rolled the dice. A $1200 Valkyrie 9mm commander was too much temptation for me to resist. I am sure if there is an issue DW will make it right.

Offline czdwsc

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 08:25:50 AM »
Well I rolled the dice. A $1200 Valkyrie 9mm commander was too much temptation for me to resist. I am sure if there is an issue DW will make it right.
My experience with DW's customer service was excellent. Endre, their pistolsmith, will bend over backwards to make sure you're happy.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:35:28 AM by czdwsc »

Offline Indy_Tim

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »
Hopefully DW will sort it out for you.  I have a few in the collection and they have all been stellar in function.  So good in fact, that I'm getting ready to sell one of mine to a buddy because as good as it is, I just have not bonded with it.  When I got my CZ 1911A1, I did a mild trigger job on it (polish only as no parts warrant replacement) and love that gun.  When I got this particular Heritage, I could not even justify doing that much to it, as the trigger is exactly what I want in a 1911 trigger and the function has been flawless.  It's a perverse logic, but it's good enough that I have had zero role in making it so and so have not bonded with it like I have done with my other 1911s, CZs and even Glocks. 

Hopefully, they will make the pistol right for you and the experience will help you bond with the gun.  If you don't feel good about it when done, let it go.  Good 1911s are too expensive to just sit in the safe unloved.

Offline Oleman

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 04:45:09 PM »
I bought a PM9 a few months ago and have had no issues at all. Love the way it shoots