Author Topic: Why Shok-buff on Shadow 2?  (Read 6977 times)

Offline dbarn

Why Shok-buff on Shadow 2?
« on: March 10, 2018, 08:53:10 AM »
Considering a Shadow 2 in the near future but am curious why CZ felt the need for a recoil buffer on this pistol. Is it due to the metal guide rod or possible damage to frame? Is it to help the recoil impulse? If for the metal guide rod, why does CZ not recommend nor CZC install it for other models with metal guide rods? Is  this the only pistol that comes with a metal guide rod from the factory?

For those who have the Shadow 2, how long does the buffer last? Are these easily found and what is the cost? Using a buffer in a duty, carry, or defensive pistol has not made much sense to me. Why is it necessary on the Shadow 2? Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:12:28 AM by dbarn »

Offline MoRivera

Re: Why Shok-buff on Shadow 2?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »
I've shot about 1700 rounds so far through my S2 and the buffer that came installed is still in fine shape.  I think that when you combine the rather light recoil spring with the lightened slide weight, it adds up to higher slide velocities and can contribute to earlier wear.  So I use a buffer in any of my pistols that have a 13-lb or lower recoil spring.  Haven't had any reliability issues so far, even with lighter-kicking loads.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:31:05 AM by MoRivera »

Offline nutrider

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 03:15:23 PM »
I have shot about 1200 rounds on my Shadow 2 and do not see any signs of wear on the bumper.  My assumption is that it gives a margin of safety especially with a lighter spring.  I still have the stock spring.  The gun came with 1 or 2 extra bumpers.

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 03:22:19 PM »
Also....
or those who have the Shadow 2, how long does the buffer last? Are these easily found and what is the cost? Using a buffer in a duty, carry, or defensive pistol has not made much sense to me. Why is it necessary on the Shadow 2? Thanks.

The Shadow 2 is primarily intended for competition....more specifically, to qualify for Production Class in USPSA.  I think guns for duty generally come with stronger springs for reliability and durability.

Offline dbarn

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 03:36:26 PM »
Good answers all. I know the original Shadow came with a heavier more robust plastic or Delrin guide rod. Would the buffer provide more protection than this original rod or is a metal guide rod with a buffer considered better? In other words why one over the other?

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 03:54:48 PM »
From what I can gather doing research on composite vs. steel guide rods in CZ's, there's no significant difference in reliability or function...with steel being less desirable on alloy-framed pistols because of the marking/galling it would impart from recoil force.  I think some feel that the flexibility of composite rods help give some leeway from leaving marks during impact/recoil in certain instances.  Some feel that a steel guide rod helps add some muzzle weight to counter recoil/muzzle lift, others say it's not noticeable especially in a steel-framed pistol.  I guess a composite rod would absorb some of that force better than the steel rod at that rear point of impact, but it is still a hard plastic compared to a rubber.

When it really comes down to it, I think our pistols will be fine either way.  They are built very strong, and as long as we maintain them well enough and don't feed them a constant diet of real high-pressure stuff they'll hold up even without buffers.  If I were shooting more +P or hotter defensive stuff out of my Shadow 2, I'd probably step up to at least a 15-lb spring....maybe more since the slide is lightened compared to, say, an SP-01.  But for competition, I keep it mainly to 124- or 147-grain stuff that's pretty moderate.  Definitely softer to shoot than regular range stuff like White Box or Blazer brass, or defensive ammo.  If for some reason I ran short on 'target' ammo and had to scrounge/buy some hotter stuff, I think the gun would hold up fine for a few runs, even though it may be printing a little differently.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:58:29 PM by MoRivera »

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 07:20:36 PM »
I basically agree with Mo above^^^^^.
My 75 B had the poly short guide rod.  I replaced it once around 30k Rds just because I was making an order for something else.  Well over 60k now.
 My 75 Shadow has the steel guide rod and  won't "flex' so they do hold the recoil spring closely aligned with the slide. The poly rods can bend with spring pressure. The lighter springs especially (I use an 11# R.S. in the B) are noticeably longer than the stock springs and tend to bend quite a bit with the short poly rod.
Around 132 PF minor loads with 124/125 fmj JHPs for both the above.

Offline ShooterJD

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 07:52:50 PM »
Don't know about S2 I used to use them in my 1911 guns. After a while pieces of the plastic broke off. Just have to keep a watch on them

Offline Wrecks

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 08:05:53 PM »
It was probably to buffer the shock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rmbrewer

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 10:10:48 AM »
Maybe CZ puts them in if we want to shoot major power factor?

I was wondering the same as you dbarn,  but only why a shock buffer on my new 9mm TSO?  I didn't think they came with one, like the .40.  Plus, I got two types of spare buffers, one thicker than the other.

Offline Matt101

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 03:48:33 AM »
I don?t run buffers in any of my CZ?s.

Including:

Czechmate running 170PF loads

TSO running 180PF loads

Shadow2 running 140PF loads

All run stainless guide rods. 10k plus rounds through each so far.

I don?t think it?s worth the risk of having one come apart in a match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything