GENERAL > General Discussion

Palmetto State Armory 9MM AR info

(1/1)

M1A4ME:
When I put my AR 9MM together a few weeks back I used a PSA 9MM upper with the 8" barrel and the new hybrid bolt.  I used a Spikes Tactical lower. 

The two receiver halves would not close to allow the take down pins to insert.  I had to removed some metal from the center of the bullet guide at the front of the lower as the bolt was making contact there.  The bottom of the bolt, that picks up the next round from the magazine and shoves it into the chamber, didn't want to remove metal from it.  After that grinding/sanding/polishing it worked fine.

I blamed it on using an upper from one company and a lower from another company.

My nephew got a hankering for a similar AR pistol and PSA happened to show 9MM complete lowers about 8 or 10 days ago and he ordered one. 

We began to look around at all the different parts/pieces required to build and upper.  We hadn't got around to deciding what he wanted or ordering anything yet when PSA showed complete uppers (identical to mine) for sale and he ordered one.

The lower came in first, the upper came in today.  He brought them over to show them to me and realized the upper and lower would not go together.  We checked and saw marks in the finish on the bullet guide where the bottom of the bolt was hitting it when he tried to close the two receivers together to insert the take down pins.

We had to do the same thing to it.  Remove some metal right in the middle of the bullet guide.

So, it's not the mixing of uppers and lowers between manufacturers, it's something about the PSA hybrid bolt and how if fits/works with the lowers.

FYI for anyone thinking about the PSA 9MM AR upper/bolt.  It's not hard to fix, but it will need some work.

Atomic Punk:
Thanks. I was seriously considering one of their pistol lowers for Colt mags. They had them for $180 with free shipping. They are out of stock now though. 

mdThanatos:
What kind of lower did your nephew get from PSA?  I have had one for almost a year now and have had one issue related to operation with my PSA 9mm 16" and that was the ejector screws came loose.  I have another issue with my sights on it, I had to dial windage all the way to the left, so I am thinking something isn't lined up with the rail/receiver.  But with close to 700 rounds through it, the only stoppage I have had was when the ejector screws came loose.  Tightened up and loctite on them has it working fine.

Mine consists of this:

PSA 16" 9mm 13.5" Lightweight Keymod Railed Upper - With Hybrid BCG & CH
PSA Stripped Billet 9mm Glock? Lower w/mag Catch Assembly and Ejector, Matte Finish BLEM
PSA LPK

Is it a colt pattern lower related problem?

M1A4ME:
Yes, a Colt mag. lower.  It is complete Colt style pistol lower.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version