Author Topic: Maybe a C-100??  (Read 2169 times)

Offline CZmaybe

• Moderately-new shooter
Maybe a C-100??
« on: March 22, 2018, 01:38:10 PM »
I'm a relatively new shooter and by no means a marksman.  I currently carry (CC permitted) my 3" polymer-framed 9mm only occasionally.  After reading and watching the related videos, my eye has fallen onto the TriStar C-100.  It looks quite dependable and concealable and the price point is right.  But with only a 3.7" barrel (confirmed by TriStar, and contrary to many sellers listing it at 3.9"), I was wondering how much improvement I would see at the range.  They are not stocked or rented locally in north-central Indiana.  So, is there anyone in northern Indiana or southwest Michigan that owns one and would let me accompany them to the range (my treat)??

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
Re: Maybe a C-100??
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 04:53:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Generally speaking, the heaviest handgun will help keep it from moving while aiming an pulling the trigger - weight resists movement to an extent.  This weight also absorbs recoil to help from developing a flinch in a new shooter, for instance.  I think the lighter guns for carry are great.  No good to keep a gun that is too heavy off your body in case you need it.  With practice, light, short barreled guns can be shot fairly accurately as well.  Don't get all bent up that a SD gun should be able to hit a tennis ball at a 100 yards.  A bad guy attacking is likely going to be close up -- enough so that you might not even have to aim!

That said, there are a bunch of the factors leading to accuracy, type of gun, sight radius, sights themselves.  I went through a number of different types of handguns before discovering the holy grail of accuracy in 9mm (for me) and that is the CZ75 design.  The C100 is a clone and reports are good so. . .

Now if you are looking for a range gun, then consider getting an even heavier all steel design.  If your intent is to also carry it the C100 or PCR or P01 (aluminum frame, CZ designs) MIGHT be great shooters AND carry guns!

It sounds like you are going down the right track -- attempt to try a bunch of different weapons to see what suits your body (and perhaps get some training so you don't reinforce bad shooting habits).

Offline DF_Hammack

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 05:10:09 PM »
I concur with Tyerone. I carry a Tristar P100. It also has a 3.7" barrel, but it's a heavier, all steel pistol. I have to tell you the accuracy of Tristar pistols is excellent. My Tristar is about the most accurate compact I have ever fired. You will find that the grip fits your hand better than the sub-compact which dramatically improves pointabilty. This was a big factor in my moving to the P100. My sub-compact shot consistently low, unless I concentrated on perfect grip and form. OK for the range, but not so much in a defensive situation. The recoil is very manageable because with the slide sitting lower in the frame, the recoil impulse is channeled more directly into your arm rather than over it. I have been a fan of the CZ platform since the late 80's. I had a Tanfoglio. It is the the only gun I ever owned that I regretted selling. The Tristar, however, more than makes up for it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 05:21:54 PM by DF_Hammack »
Tristar P100 - SAR B6P

Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American - Congressman Tenche Coxe, 1788

Offline MikeLW

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 06:12:00 PM »
I was wondering how much improvement I would see at the range.

A full size steel pistol is easier to learn decent accuracy but the compact alloy C100 will do fine for developing those skills. It may take a little more practice (fun). With good form and some trigger control the C100 should far out perform the 3" polymer pistol in consistent accuracy and shoot-ability. Look for a CZ 75 PCR / Compact D to rent for a good comparison to the C100. The CZ 75 P-01 is also an alloy compact but a little heavier than the C100.

BTW, the C100 has a great trigger which is pretty important for accuracy. It might need 100 dry fires breaking in to be a sweet trigger in my opinion. You and I need the dry fire practice anyway. Go in a room with no ammo present and aim at a light switch or screw or fly. Squeeze the trigger without moving the sights off your target. Use a foam earplug or rubber o-ring to cushion the hammer from the firing pin.

More about dry firing; At the range, right after a couple mags shooting, do your dry fire routine again. You may discover a recoil anticipation flinch. Time for more practice.

More about shoot-ability; I love my C100, as everyone does. I can take it only to the range and shoot 200 pleasing rounds and want to go back that eve or the next morn. I really think you could just go ahead and buy it and love it.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:16:00 PM by MikeLW »

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 06:29:51 PM »
I was wondering how much improvement I would see at the range.

BTW, the C100 has a great trigger which is pretty important for accuracy. It might need 100 dry fires breaking in to be a sweet trigger in my opinion. You and I need the dry fire practice anyway. Go in a room with no ammo present and aim at a light switch or screw or fly. Squeeze the trigger without moving the sights off your target. Use a foam earplug or rubber o-ring to cushion the hammer from the firing pin.

More about dry firing; At the range, right after a couple mags shooting, do your dry fire routine again. You may discover a recoil anticipation flinch. Time for more practice.

Very good advises from MikeLW (and all others ^^). I will add, Tristar handguns can be dry fired 1000's of times without snap caps or o-rings with no worries.

Offline MikeLW

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 06:44:14 PM »
Tristar handguns can be dry fired 1000's of times without snap caps or o-rings with no worries.

Cool! I will have to take my FP out one day to inspect the design and the condition of the retaining pin. I know my CZs retaining pins deform quickly. I just noticed the C100 firing pin retaining pin is shaped like the Cajun Gun Works tempered pin. IOW, it's a split pin instead of a roll pin. The split is on top at 12 o-clock like the CGW too.

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 07:07:17 PM »
Tristar handguns can be dry fired 1000's of times without snap caps or o-rings with no worries.

Cool! I will have to take my FP out one day to inspect the design and the condition of the retaining pin. I know my CZs retaining pins deform quickly. I just noticed the C100 firing pin retaining pin is shaped like the Cajun Gun Works tempered pin. IOW, it's a split pin instead of a roll pin. The split is on top at 12 o-clock like the CGW too.

Absolutely correct.
Here on the left you have the CZ 75 Roll Pin with about 300 rounds. A very serious indentation created by the firing pin can be observed.
Center is the Canik P120 Roll pin with about 4500 rounds, and with lots of dry firing. A little bit of wear can be seen, with a very very slight indentation from the firing pin.
To the right is a brand new CGW roll pin.
* Picture is from a couple of weeks ago. Now, 300 rounds latter, no apparent damages can be seen.
The firing pin roll should be considered a consumable.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:10:10 PM by Practical Shooter »

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 07:40:00 PM »
I was just playing with my Canik and CZ, and realized, if the CZ 75 OEM roll pin doesn't fit the Canik P120, the CGW roll pin with the longitudinal cut, will fit. The pin size for both guns is 1/8 th. CGW part # for CZ and Canik are the same #61100

Offline MikeLW

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »
I was just playing with my Canik and CZ, and realized, if the CZ 75 OEM roll pin doesn't fit the Canik P120, the CGW roll pin with the longitudinal cut, will fit. The pin size for both guns is 1/8 th. CGW part # for CZ and Canik are the same #61100

Good reports! Thanks for the pic too.

Offline MikeLW

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 07:48:02 PM »
CZMaybe, Jump in here so we're not just complete thread hijackers...

Offline CZmaybe

• Moderately-new shooter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 05:59:46 PM »
Thread hackers?  LOL.  A new term to my vocabulary.  No one local stocks or rents TriStar.  I rented a CZ 75B (4.6" barrel, of course) and shot a box of 50 and had much improved target success.  If I can convince my ANGEL wife (maybe she'll read this) that I need a new C-100, maybe Bud's will soon have a new customer.

Offline MikeLW

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 09:05:50 PM »
Thread hackers?  LOL.  A new term to my vocabulary.  No one local stocks or rents TriStar.  I rented a CZ 75B (4.6" barrel, of course) and shot a box of 50 and had much improved target success.  If I can convince my ANGEL wife (maybe she'll read this) that I need a new C-100, maybe Bud's will soon have a new customer.

When we have to convince them, it's good that it's a real bargain!

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 05:04:53 PM »

Exactly!  Look at all of the money you saved...

Offline MikeLW

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 07:57:15 PM »

Exactly!  Look at all of the money you saved...

Right! I'm speaking her language!  O0

anything