Author Topic: Ammo for Shadow  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Buzzsaw

Ammo for Shadow
« on: March 22, 2018, 08:22:41 PM »
Now, I'm reading, if I get a Shadow 2, I will need a different recoil spring depending on what 9mm ammo I shoot????????????

I cant just go from 115gr WWhite box to Blazer Brass to Federal HST 124, to Browning 147gr and back to Fiocchi 115's???? without changing recoil springs????????

WTH >????

Offline George16

Re: Ammo for Shadow
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 08:30:49 PM »
You don?t have to if you don?t want to maximize the capabilities of your gun. You change the recoil springs to tune your gun. It?s just like changing the springs, oil and shock absorbers on your car when your racing or off roading to suit it for the terrain you?re driving on.

The main reason in changing the recoil spring is to minimize the muzzle flip or dip so you can get back on target and shoot quickly and accurately. Less muzzle flip and dip means flatter gun and faster reacquainting of target shot after shoot after shot.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 08:31:50 PM »
Probably the most you will notice if not competing is how far your brass flies. Likely different for each of those weights.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 11:57:37 PM »
What both George and Larry said above.^^^^^^^^
The ammo you "primarily" use can be optimized by installing the best weight recoil spring for that pistol with that ammo with you as the shooter.
  The pistol  will function fine over a wide range of bullet weights and powder loads.   If you prefer very light loads,  it will likely function better with a lighter recoil spring.   If you plan to shoot very hot loads that slam your slide back,  you might benefit from a little heavier recoil spring.
 The exact  same can be said of Virtually all Semi-Auto pistols.

Offline Mccian

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 07:48:43 AM »
Now, I'm reading, if I get a Shadow 2, I will need a different recoil spring depending on what 9mm ammo I shoot????????????

I cant just go from 115gr WWhite box to Blazer Brass to Federal HST 124, to Browning 147gr and back to Fiocchi 115's???? without changing recoil springs????????

WTH >????
Buzzsaw.....planning on shooting competition and doing your own reloads? If not, shoot your pistol with whatever ammo you choose to, if you can tell/feel the difference, then you may be inclined to tinker, if you settle on a particular load......otherwise, just enjoy the hell out of your awesome CZ.
“Life doesn’t have to be perfect......to be good”

CZ 75 Omega Convertible
CZ P01 Compact Steel SKU#99041
CZ “CWC” Edition
CZ P-10C FDE...shared
Other......M&P Shield .45, Browning Buckmark .22 (wife’s, but I have to clean it)

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 08:02:34 AM »

Nope

Pretty sure you're reading about what people are doing with their Shadow 2 pistols, and it's the same thing they'd be doing with any other pistol from any other brand, and NOT something specific to the Shadow 2. 

The Shadow 2 is a competition pistol, and people tune recoil springs on competition pistols.  If you're not shooting competition minor power factor bunny fart loads, it's unlikely you'll ever need to change a recoil spring until it wears out, and if you're not shooting competition, it's unlikely that you'll shoot the gun enough to wear out the recoil spring.

If you ARE shooting minor power factor competition, you might want to settle on a load, then tune the recoil spring.  And that's not even a requirement unless you have function issues.  I shot many thousands of minor PF loads through my ShadowLine with the stock recoil spring (which was too heavy) and spent cases trickling down the back of my strong hand before I finally went to a lighter recoil spring.  Never had a related malfunction.  Just stepped on a lot of my own brass.

anything