Author Topic: Realistic Need BUIS?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Black Wolf

Realistic Need BUIS?
« on: June 24, 2018, 04:50:11 PM »
Ok, I've heard over and over - if it is a defensive pistol, BUIS are a must.

It got me wondering, are they really? I mean - the odds of being in a SD are already low, the odds of being in a SD shooting AND experiencing dot failure are lower, but the odds of experiencing dot failure durring a SD shooting in which (for some reaon) you need to take a shot OVER 10yd have to be lottery level.  I use 10yd because that is where most proficient shooters max out as far as point shooting goes.

I still got them but barely (bottom third all black).  Even though I do consider it some million to one chance, I wanted peace of mind and "training wheel" (I still use them to find the dot).  I do not carry a full size spare tire and looked at the sights the same way. 

But do you see my point - the planets would all have to line up just right before you have a SD shoot, dot failure, and you're not at bad breath distance

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
Re: Realistic Need BUIS?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 05:08:38 PM »
I would say that you need some way to sight the gun if the dot goes down and that whatever mechanism you choose should allow for effective hits out to 20-25 yards.

Some are good with just a front sight. I prefer a full set of BUIS.

You are right about the odds... Just consider the stakes as well ;-)
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline LonChaney

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 05:34:03 PM »
I agree w sonspark. You?ll probably never need em but why take the chance?

Offline Wrecks

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 09:27:02 PM »
Two points:

1. Since I took the training wheels (front sight) off my red dot milled Shadow, my accuracy and efficiency have gone up. The front post is a distraction and only adds more things to get in the way between your eyes and the target.

2. For the poster above considering a 20-25 yard defensive shooting - never going to happen. Unless you have a 60-75' hallway in your home there will likely be lots of questions and potential jail time over whether it was a legitimate self defense situation.

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
Realistic Need BUIS?
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 12:38:44 AM »
For the poster above considering a 20-25 yard defensive shooting - never going to happen. Unless you have a 60-75' hallway in your home there will likely be lots of questions and potential jail time over whether it was a legitimate self defense situation.

Never? It is uncommon but it does happen... Maybe it is unlikely inside the home but most of us routinely move around in larger public spaces and outdoors. 

Also, you should check out Tom Givens' stats on self defense shootings involving his students. Not every encounter fits the old 3 yards/3 shots/3 seconds average...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:49:26 AM by s0nspark »

Offline Black Wolf

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 03:38:45 PM »
25yd defensive shot?  Self defense, HIGHLY unlikely.  Defense of a loved one, completely plausible.

This subject came up at work.  I provided the hypothetical - you are exiting the store, 20 some odd yards away your wife is struggling with someone who is trying to force her into a car.  A friend says, "I back up from that door way, and go look at the sporting goods section for a few mor minutes.  Unless someone is trying to help her, then I shoot that guy"  As funny as that was, it is a realistic consideration.  It might not always be YOU you are defending.

Honestly, I see no real reason for BUIS on a concealed carry pistol...... but I still wanted 'em mine.  I went minimal though.  I do not carry a full size spare tire, I carry a doughnut, and that is how I looked at my BUIS.  I would've went with better sights, but (hopefully) I'm never gonna need them anyway.

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 05:37:42 PM »
It might not always be YOU you are defending.

Bingo! :)

Also, just to say, a 25 yard encounter is not as unlikely in open or rural areas. You don't want to *have* to let a threat get close...

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 07:44:16 PM »
Taking a close look at what Tom Givens has to say is very worthwhile. Very few DGU's fit the average. I took one of his classes and the closing discussion was sobering. BUIS for me.