Author Topic: Reloader upgrade  (Read 3203 times)

Offline IDescribe

Re: Reloader upgrade
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2018, 11:02:25 PM »
I forgot about the 550.  Same price as an LnL.  If you're shy of the LnL priming system, the 550 would be a solid choice.  It's not as automated as the 650 or LnL, AND it's only a 4-station press, not 5, but it's mostly a progressive.  It's a manually indexed progressive, which can also be used as a single stage.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:07:00 PM by IDescribe »

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 02:12:25 AM »
ALso, with the 650, because the complex part of the case-feeder is already in place, you can make your own case-feeder for about $40.

Shhhh... don't tell Scarlett Pistol.  ;)

Haha this is a true fact. Hornady does NOT offer the parts to just have the case feeder without the machine feeding them.

That?s ok... after running mine a bit today while I was setting up I have no regrets in buying the total case feeder. But I?m even more bummed about my time spent on the LNL.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline double-d

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2018, 07:46:13 AM »
Recently purchased a pre-owned LNL Ammo Plant with a ton of extras (shell plates, dies, LED lighting, deluxe monitoring, second powder measure, etc.).  All the typical massaging/adjustments done by the original owner.
Craigslist= $460.  Easily over $1k worth of equipment.

Why go new when there are people getting out of the hobby?  M2?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:55:55 AM by double-d, Reason: added content »

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 12:03:48 PM »
I forgot about the 550.  Same price as an LnL.  If you're shy of the LnL priming system, the 550 would be a solid choice.  It's not as automated as the 650 or LnL, AND it's only a 4-station press, not 5, but it's mostly a progressive.  It's a manually indexed progressive, which can also be used as a single stage.

Well, actually if you REALLY wanted to low ball the thing...

? Dillon offers the RL550 in a build-as-you-go model called the BL550 for $288. You'd also need a "9mm Caliber Conversion Kit" and a "550 Primer Feed Assy" which would get you up to about $350. But you would use your Lee 9mm Dies and Lee Powder Measure with this machine. That's if you insist on new product.

? But Double-D makes an excellent point. These machines move so slowly that mechanically wearing one out is almost impossible, even with zero maintenance. And too, with the extreme drop in ammo prices, a lot of fair-weather reloaders are selling their equipment right now. You'd do well to keep an eye on CraigsList and see what you can find locally... LNL, 550, or 650. They are all good machines and will serve you faithfully.

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline cdhbrad

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2018, 02:27:23 PM »
If thinking about a Dillon 550, this ebay Seller has the Dillon 550 with 9mm Conversion for $490 shipped: Dillon 550 at Red's Trading Post   I just bought the same press, but with the 40 S&W conversion kit and bought the locator pins for 9mm as I load both and they share a shellplate.  Prompt shipping and everything needed to set up the 550 except dies which I already had. 

I didn't use the Dillon powder measure that came with the press as I have RCBS Uniflows with Case Activated linkage and Micrometer Adjusters for all my pistol calibers along with Redding Competition dies.  Both work great on the 550.   

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:16:38 AM by Wobbly »

Offline clarkgriswald23

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 03:34:00 PM »
Thank you all for taking time and giving me tons of information and respected opinions. I'm glad I put the thread up you have all been very helpful!

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 08:21:30 AM »
If thinking about a Dillon 550, this ebay Seller has the Dillon 550 with 9mm Conversion for $490 shipped: Dillon 550 at Red's Trading Post   I just bought the same press, but with the 40 S&W conversion kit....

Red's Trading Post is where I got my 650, and several sets of Dillon and Hornady dies over the years. They are a legit, long time Ebay seller.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline cdhbrad

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »
Agreed.  Great service and good pricing too.  Every other Seller on ebay wants $60 or more for shipping.  I know Dillon sells direct too, but Red's had everything I needed. 

Offline jeep45238

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2018, 10:09:34 AM »
If your military or Leo, call dillon and set up an account.  You?ll save 10% on phone in orders.

That really helped when I bought the 1050.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Frank72

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2018, 07:21:08 AM »
I have the Dillon 550B. Great press and a huge upgrade from the Lee Turret press I had before. I load 9mm and .40. I have a complete setup for each caliber. The Dillon powder measure is light years better then the Lee disk measure.

Its super easy to change calibers. I also use lee dies I had left over from the old press and am used to using.

A big plus for the 550 over the square deal is that you can load rifle if you want on the 550.

Hope that helps!