Author Topic: Frame modification diary. Beavertail, trigger guard, magwell, flush slide stop, undercut  (Read 5342 times)

Offline Underwhere

Do you know where you're going to have it plated?
Fords down in Florida.
I called them a few months ago and asked what sort of prep needed to be done. The told me to just send it.

Are you going to have the barrel plated or just the frame and slide?
My original intent was the barrel, frame, slide, 2 mag bodies with baseplates

Offline Underwhere

Do you know where you're going to have it plated?
Fords down in Florida.
I called them a few months ago and asked what sort of prep needed to be done. The told me to just send it.

Excellent choice.

Note however, that per Ford's themselves, they typically only apply hard chrome to the exterior (i.e. the "seen") areas of the gun. The internals do not get plated, nor the inside of the frame. If this is important to you, than you should discuss it with them, or alternatively choose another plater that does 100% coverage.
That's a good question. I didn't see any of that mentioned by them. I'll give them a ring when I get the gun ready.

Offline rhart

Any updates? Did you get all the pits ironed out?
"In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness)."

"You can only fight the way you practice."

"If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you."
- Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Underwhere

Any updates? Did you get all the pits ironed out?
No updates yet. A lot going on with work and home I haven't been able to see the welder or tinker with my welding setup.

Hopefully soon.

Offline Underwhere

So I think I made some major progress tonight.

Was putting my snowblower away to my shed and brushed by the welding gas line to the torch. I saw the compression fitting on the welder wiggle. Turns out I did have a gas leak and thats why none of my welds turned out well.

I tightened and got an ugly piece of mild steel. A ton more control and no contamination and popping. I'll try it on a few more pieces of similar metal just to make sure. Hopefully no more trips to the welder and I can make progress on a nightly basis now instead of weekly.

It pays to check your equipment. I should have.

Offline rhart

So I think I made some major progress tonight.

Was putting my snowblower away to my shed and brushed by the welding gas line to the torch. I saw the compression fitting on the welder wiggle. Turns out I did have a gas leak and thats why none of my welds turned out well.

I tightened and got an ugly piece of mild steel. A ton more control and no contamination and popping. I'll try it on a few more pieces of similar metal just to make sure. Hopefully no more trips to the welder and I can make progress on a nightly basis now instead of weekly.

It pays to check your equipment. I should have.

Things happen. Glad you found the issue.
"In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness)."

- Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Underwhere

Some members have been messaging me with welding tips and they have been very helpful.

I successfully filled the rest of the pits tonight in just a few minutes. I hadn't lost my welding touch. I had just lost my memory regarding all the right settings :)

Some before and after. It's not perfect but if you put the rest of the gun under a microscope you'd find worse imperfections.

Before :

After:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:40:48 PM by Underwhere »

Offline Underwhere

So after this I just need to clean up some of the edges and make sure it's nice and smooth.

Then I'll polish the internals and put in my CGW goodies (without any set screws) so I can send the gun off for hard chrome.

I think I'll do polished flats and matte rounds with 2 mags hard chromed as well.

Offline Underwhere

I'm pumped.
I welded another beavertail on another gun in a matter of minutes. No issues anymore.

Offline rhart

I'm pumped.
I welded another beavertail on another gun in a matter of minutes. No issues anymore.

Cool! It's looking really good.

- Miyamoto Musashi

Offline eastman

I'm pumped.

good to see you got your welding mojo back
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline sberres

I am so glad to hear that you got that worked out!  Can’t wait to see the finished version. I’m sure that a photojournal like this in such detail is really inspirational for an awful lot of like-minded individuals and also helps to get some make a realistic assessment. Your candor throughout these projects is much appreciated.  Keep up the good work!
Best,
SB

Offline MoRivera

Yay!!  Happy ending to The Beavertail Saga!

Offline Underwhere

Does anyone know how much metal prep I need to do before I send out for hard chrome?

I plan on doing matte for the rounds and polished for the flats.

When I called Fords I spoke to a lady who told me to 'just send it' but I'm a little concerned that they may call me and say 'what the h*ck did you send us?'

I took some time to clean up all my modifications to the frame. I still need to finish the magwell cleaning.

Should I go further? All of the bare areas have been hit with 220 and a Dremel flapper sanding wheel. I'd say it's probably around a 400 grit condition.

I plan on assembling the gun and polishing internal action parts before sending to Fords (without sights)

Then finishing up with set screws when I get it back.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 06:28:53 AM by Underwhere »

Offline rhart

Pretty sure the plater will polish it up before they plate it. Are you going to send the gun in with all the internals in it? I would just send the parts you want chromed. They will have to disassemble it before chroming (which I'm sure is included in the fees) - maybe they will give you a discount if they don't have to disassemble and reassemble?

- Miyamoto Musashi