Author Topic: Sometimes boredom is a good thing  (Read 912 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Sometimes boredom is a good thing
« on: March 29, 2018, 02:54:25 AM »
I ended up with too much time on my hands and no money, (as usual), so I sat down and cranked out 200 cast bullets, powder coated them all, prepped the brass and loaded them all. Not much for anyone with a progressive, but I have a single stage. It was a long time, especially with the cooking times for the powder coat, but I do like the nice full boxes of ready to go ammo at the end!

Offline KenE

Re: Sometimes boredom is a good thing
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 05:34:42 AM »
I, too, currently load on a single stage.  It does while away the time.

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 08:21:40 PM »
I ended up with too much time on my hands and no money, (as usual), so I sat down and cranked out 200 cast bullets, powder coated them all, prepped the brass and loaded them all. Not much for anyone with a progressive, but I have a single stage. It was a long time, especially with the cooking times for the powder coat, but I do like the nice full boxes of ready to go ammo at the end!

Good for you ! I loaded on a Single Stage for years,,and just only got a 550 last Fall !! Cool that you cast and powder coat your own bullet. I have a buddy that casts but I always help him with the PC. I understand the time it takes to load 200 on a single stage but you threw in the "cooking" times for the PC,,how long do you do yours ? Depending on what we are doing we cook for 15/20 min,,really depends on how many we have in the oven. Just wondering,, ;)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 06:39:23 AM »
I keep telling myself I'm going to get back into casting but just haven't done it yet.  Lots of other time users still.  I bought a .44 mold, a .40 S&W mold, a .300 BO mold and if I remember correctly, a 9MM mold.  I just never drag out the pot, the hot plate, and the lead ingots sitting in the shed and actually do it.

As for the single stage press, been using either the Pacific or the RCBS for about 40 years now.  Got a bigger Lee press last year and took the linkage off it so I can rotate the discs manually and I still use it like a single stage press, just don't have to unscrew on die to screw in another and go through the adjustment time/effort.  Sat down the other day and resized about 300 pieces of 9MM brass.  I'll bell the case mouths some other time, them prime them so other time and then load them some other time.

I did load up 150 rounds of RTL (Ready To Load means resized, belled and primed) .40 S&W brass with Blue Dot and 135 grain Nosler hollow points yesterday.  Still got a couple hundred pieces of brass in the jug to load up but that will be "some other time."  Since I got that Tactical Sport last year I've got to load everything "short" since it won't chamber the same overall length the P07 and P09 will.  They still seem to shoot pretty good in the P07 though.  I'm slowly using up all that load made for the P07/P09.  Till they're gone I've got to pay attention to the ammo I grab when going to the range to shoot a .40.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline CPTKILLER

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 10:14:00 AM »
Good job!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 05:41:06 AM »
Thank you. :) m1a-scoutguy, I cook them in an old Goodwill toaster over for 20 minutes to cure the powder coat. Works great. :)
I did it again Wed night, too much time on my hands...so I took dirty range brass and bars of lead, and by the end of the night I had 100 freshly loaded 7.62x39mm cast rounds. Pink powder coat - ISIS lipstick samples. ;)

Offline sparkyv

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 07:43:28 AM »
Seems to me that casting and loading is an excellent way to pass the time.  8)
Μολὼν λαβέ
NRA Life Member