Author Topic: Looking to pickup a CZ PCR-concerned about weight and thickness for EDC  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Maverick986

heard great things about CZ PCR, but current EDC's are G19 and HK VP9sk...........anyone know  in comparison to these how the PCR is for EDC?

Offline boss281

The PCR is a lightweight alloy instead of steel. I wouldn't think weight would be a problem. Also it doesn't have the dust cover like the P-01. I carry the P-01 when I'm working.  For some, the decocker on the PCR and the P-01 are a more secure way to carry with a chambered round. I think you'll be pleased!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline bull

I understand your concerns as i have them as well....we want cz to give us a single stack..personally i do not edc with my cz's...grunk is with me everyday...i too think cz is a lil too heavy and wide for my comfort zone
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:32:33 PM by bull »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

heard great things about CZ PCR, but current EDC's are G19 and HK VP9sk...........anyone know  in comparison to these how the PCR is for EDC?

Been carrying my PCR for almost 10 years now,winter and summer and for me it is the perfect all around handgun. If you can carry glock 19 you can carry a PCR.

Online BCC

Mine carries OWB in a good leather holster--with a good belt of course. I wouldn't carry IWB with the PCR but that's just me.
It's a bit heavy loaded up---but I got used to it quickly with the right set up !!!! Heavier than Glock19, but size wise with a good holster no difference.
PCR
Glock 43

Offline GBUS

I've been looking for a PCR for EDC as well and not too worried about size and weight as I EDC a VP9 IWB without issue when I want more gun than my G43 provides.
I also carry my 75B OWB some days. Really comes down to using good belts and holsters.

Offline Chicago Dude

My carry guns are PCR and HK P30sk (something similar to your HK gun).
PCR is just a little heavier, but to be frank, I like it better. After all - it's all metal gun.
My summer carry is HK, and my winter carry is PCR. Sometimes I have in rotation P-01 steel gun, that is much heavier than the other two, but it also feels much better in hand than the other two.
I know people who carry PCR for 20 years straight and would not even look at other guns.
Bottom line - PCR is probably one of the best compacts ever. 

I know people who carry PCR for 20 years straight and would not even look at other guns.
Bottom line - PCR is probably one of the best compacts ever.

No doubt about it. I have 3 new acquisitions that I had intended as alternate carry guns and they are fine pieces of equipment yet when I leave the house my PCR still gets the nod.

Offline Raven45

I carry a PCR (actually a CZ Custom Pro-Tek 1) every day.  This pistol has been my RDC for quite a while.

Loaded with 14+1 of 124 gr. Gold Dot JHP's, it weighs 34.2 oz.

A Vickers Model Gen 3 Glock G19 loaded with 15+1 of the same Gold Dot 12 gr. JHP's weighs 30.4 oz.

I carry the Pro-Tek 1 in either a JM Custom Kydex #2 OWB holster of a Blade-Tech Nano IWB holster, both with equal comfort.

The PCR (Pro-Tek 1) is an excellent pistol!

Offline benq

I think the pistol will sell itself.  The ergos are nice, maybe not a nice as the HK. You might find reacquiring sight picture for follow-up shots is easier with the PCR. Train to become proficient with the DA pull and you'll be golden.  I don't carry my PCR, rather I carry its little brother, the RAMI.  RAMI is just as thick and I carry it appendix. The thickness isn't a concern but the printing of the grip is. So I tend to carry it with the shorter 10rnd mag and a 14rnd in a pocket.

Don't be frustrated if your brand new CZ doesn't run like a champ on Day 1.  I find CZs have tight tolerances and may require a break-in period.  3 out of 6 of my CZs needed some TLC before they could really shine.

You'll also need to have some patience and do your research when shopping to trick it out.  It isn't like a Glock where you can find parts everywhere and anywhere.

Good Luck!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:03:32 AM by benq, Reason: address his concerns about thickness. »

Re: Looking to pickup a CZ PCR-concerned about weight and thickness for EDC
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 06:14:41 AM »

I think the pistol will sell itself.  The ergos are nice, maybe not a nice as the HK. You might find reacquiring sight picture for follow-up shots is easier with the PCR. Train to become proficient with the DA pull and you'll be golden.  I don't carry my PCR, rather I carry its little brother, the RAMI.  RAMI is just as thick and I carry it appendix. The thickness isn't a concern but the printing of the grip is. So I tend to carry it with the shorter 10rnd mag and a 14rnd in a pocket.

Don't be frustrated if your brand new CZ doesn't run like a champ on Day 1.  I find CZs have tight tolerances and may require a break-in period.  3 out of 6 of my CZs needed some TLC before they could really shine.

You'll also need to have some patience and do your research when shopping to trick it out.  It isn't like a Glock where you can find parts everywhere and anywhere.

Good Luck!

Interesting. I always run a new gun thorough a set amount of rounds before I consider it viable for defensive purposes but my 9mm CZ's all 6 of them ran flawlessly from day one.

Offline knoxTN

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 09:54:24 AM »
I carry an LCP - but I am only 5'9" and 170 lbs.  I need a gun that disappears, and the LCP does.   

I wish I could carry a double stack or a compact, but going up in size in my jeans to make room for that is not an option - they just fit horribly if I do that .

Offline Chicago Dude

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 12:52:32 PM »

Good Luck!

Interesting. I always run a new gun thorough a set amount of rounds before I consider it viable for defensive purposes but my 9mm CZ's all 6 of them ran flawlessly from day one.

I think BenQ has some special kind of jinx with CZ guns. Sorry to see that !
I have 75B, PCR and P-01, and every one of them functions properly without one single problem or glitch from day one. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 12:54:10 PM by Chicago Dude »

Offline PappaWheelie

• "This is war, and in war, time is of the essence."
    • The Children's Bread
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »
Per benq:

"I don't carry my PCR, rather I carry its little brother, the RAMI.  RAMI is just as thick and I carry it appendix. The thickness isn't a concern but the printing of the grip is. So I tend to carry it with the shorter 10rnd mag and a 14rnd in a pocket."

The RAMI BD is both lighter and narrower than the PCR; it further has TruDot Tritium night sights, and (unlike the longer-barreled PCR) can be carried with ZERO grip printing, if centered and low enough. I love CZ ergonomics but the RAMI is the best of them all for "just right" feel, imho.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=81829.msg725592#msg725592
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:09:21 PM by PappaWheelie »
Member, Gun Owners of America

CC: CZ 2075 RAMI BD w/ CGW Short Reset Kit/1485-T2 Disco, 5 "Thick" Trigger, polished SA hammer tooth; PappaWheelie Invisible 15 Round RAMI Holster

Homeboy: CZ 97 BD, CGW Short Reset Kit/1485-T2 Disco, 5 "Thick" Trigger; Underwood 45 Super 120 Grain Xtreme Defender

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 05:58:05 PM »
I can carry my PCR with no printing what so ever so that point is moot. Proper belt and holster are the key. The Rami is a fine pistol but much too short in the grip for me. To each his own.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:44:20 PM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »